Un-Commanded Yaw and Yaw Gain Oddities

Reaction score
When i'm flying (H3-3D) and i want to Yaw around a subject, The Yaw speed fluctuates even though I am giving a very slight Yaw input on the stick. I can't seem to get it to do a smooth slow Yaw. It will also pause and start again during my commanded Yaw Stick input.

This issue appears to be only with the H3-3D Gimbal.

Please use this thread to comment on this topic and we can try to get this issue resolved.

I have had this since using the H3-3D. First noticed it while descending I would get a yaw wobble of the Phantom that the H3-3D would not counteract. I have also noticed since then that the Phantom will sometimes just turn a couple of degrees without my input. It didn't do this before the H3-3D.

Who else has seen this?

I was expecting more posts here. No one else sees un-commanded yaw with the H3-3D gimbal? It's basically little twitches to the left or right as if someone knocked the left stick sideways briefly. I noticed it ever since I started using the H3-3D.

I should have stuck with the 2D gimbal. A while ago I asked how does the gimbal know you are panning vs trying to stabilize the shot? It doesn't. At least in my experience. Smooth pans I made with the 2D are history. Now when I try to pan the shot I feather in the yaw.. nothing... then wham it pans over.. all jerky like and looking like ****. I'm using a stock TX that I've added a yaw rate control to.

Smooth yawing is one problem I have not had with the 3D.

Makes me wonder, are there two extremes in malfunctioning H3-3D's? On the one end, like mine, I have trouble with the yaw servo napping, thus causing a camera view of the landing gear -- but no problems with smooth yaw maneuvers. On the other end, yaw maneuvering issues -- but does this problem include or not include the random yaw-left issue????

FWIW, this video has some recent shots with the 3D, including yawing around a subject...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QRBnxOZYgI[/youtube]

ianwood said:
I have had this since using the H3-3D. First noticed it while descending I would get a yaw wobble of the Phantom that the H3-3D would not counteract. I have also noticed since then that the Phantom will sometimes just turn a couple of degrees without my input. It didn't do this before the H3-3D.

Who else has seen this?

I suspected the yaw movement of the H3 tends to upset the balance a little. I upped the pitch, roll and yaw gains by 10% and seemed to cure it. (the first 4 gain settings are how the aircraft reacts to conditions. the 2nd set of #s (attis) are how the craft reacts to stick input.)

EMCSQUAR said:
ianwood said:

Who else has seen this?

I suspected the yaw movement of the H3 tends to upset the balance a little. I upped the pitch, roll and yaw gains by 10% and seemed to cure it. (the first 4 gain settings are how the aircraft reacts to conditions. the 2nd set of #s (attis) are how the craft reacts to stick input.)

Upped them to what? Were you using 3.04 defaults?

I'm running NAZA M V2 in all of mine - firmware is 4.0.2 and I had symtoms mentioned above. The cure I found was to up the pitch,roll and yaw gains by 10%.

No issues with my setup, YAW is very smooth when using little input, going right and left.

I'm running;

– H3 3D: 1.0.0.6
– H3 3D: P330CB 1.0.1.30
- Main Controller: 3.02
- Standard gains

Jaybee said:
No issues with my setup, YAW is very smooth when using little input, going right and left.

I'm running;

– H3 3D: 1.0.0.6
– H3 3D: P330CB 1.0.1.30
- Main Controller: 3.02
- Standard gains

As has been mentioned a number of times "standard gains" doesn't mean much because DJI keeps changing them when they release firmware updates, but the gains are not automatically updated.

sar104 said:
As has been mentioned a number of times "standard gains" doesn't mean much because DJI keeps changing them when they release firmware updates, but the gains are not automatically updated.
Screen%20Shot%202014-06-24%20at%2022.59.41.png

According to DJI, the first set of gains is how quickly the Phantom corrects itself after you release the sticks. Not while you are giving stick movement. The second set of gains affects how quickly the Phantom reacts to your pitch and roll inputs. I am just stating what it say's on one of their Wiki pages. Very confusing trying to dial anything in..

It seems the top end of the vertical axis where it sticks up through the hole can rub on the underside of batteries causing the yaw to shudder. This might be what you are experiencing. If you take the gimbel off and put some thin washers between the gimbel and the the belly and reassemble it will give a little more clearance between the underside of the battery and the gimbel axis end.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl