UFO filmed with drone, I know...

Reaction score
Well believe it or not, I filmed this video a while ago and never really looked at it as I was planning to compose it at a later time, I was just showing to a friend of mine how one of our local lakes depleted in water levels and suddenly I see this blur coming at my P3 , I was like what the heck must be a bird or something so I replayed it over and over and started to experiment slowing the video down and determined that the object covered over 350 m distance in less than one second... no bird or other drone in the world can fly that fast.
After a quick review of the footage I discovered 7 of them all moving that fast...
This is by far the weirdest video I have ever recorded, most of them appear small below the drone, they look like white light orbs , but one of them heading almost straight at my drone looks like something out of this planet lol..
You can challenge me all you want, I have the original footage and honestly I do not believe my own eyes when I watch it. It's a bit long but be patient, the objects move so fast and it is hard to spot them, I noticed Youtube compressed the video a bit and ruined the quality in the process.
In the mean time I am submitting original video to MUFON with a short report.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You did a nice job with this video - but there's already a recent thread on this: UFO Sighting From My Phantom?

I've seen the same thing on a couple of my flights. Note that all the objects seem to move down relative to the screen. Also, the objects always seem to move towards the drone, never away from the drone.

Consider that with one eye, you don't have depth perception.

I am 98% sure it is bird poop. I know it's not sexy, but I'm sure that's what it is.

Reactions: Neon Euc
You did a nice job with this video - but there's already a recent thread on this: UFO Sighting From My Phantom?

I've seen the same thing on a couple of my flights. Note that all the objects seem to move down relative to the screen. Also, the objects always seem to move towards the drone, never away from the drone.

Consider that with one eye, you don't have depth perception.

I am 98% sure it is bird poop. I know it's not sexy, but I'm sure that's what it is.
Bird poop flying at the drone at 1400 km/h.... , did you even see the object 3 ? that would be the largest bird **** ever in existence lol

...okay, make that 99% sure...
I could live with the bird poop lol , but that 3rd thing is an object, you can see it's shape it almost looks like racing drone, but not with that kind of speed...,
I know that area very well and I know the distance where the drone was and where the object 3 appears it goes through 57 frames and it's past my drone, that is some serious speed...
Recording at 60 FPS I think if that was any natural object you could see more details, I have seen hawks take down drones and you can see frame by frame the shape of a bird,
object 3 turns into a line of blur when it passes my P3. I thought a space junk or shooting stars lol or something , something I can explain lol

First of all, you did an excellent forensic examination of your video. Without your careful work I would have only seen the largest of the objects.

I have noticed over the years that the very wide angle lenses, such as found on the Phantom 3 and 4, give a distorted view of not only the ground, but also relative speed. Things appear to get bigger very quickly as one approaches them. Our mind interprets that rapid change in size as speed.

For 16 years I flew a type of ultralight aircraft called a powered parachute. It flew at a fixed speed of about 30 mph. You were completely in the open, exposed to all the wind and any other thing floating in the air. It was not unusual to see floating debris and insects zoom by. Sometimes cottonwood trees and other trees shed very light, floating seed pods. That could be what you are seeing, I'm not sure. I know that filming from a powered parachute with a GoPro camera gives a distorted impression of higher speed than you would observe with a standard lens. The lens we have on our Phantom 3 is equivalent to about 20mm on a normal 35 mm camera, whereas a "normal" lens would be about 50mm.

All that being said, I wouldn't be concerned about those objects being UFO's. I'm guessing they were simply floating seed pods from some trees. Just my guess.

There are several reports of these "space balls". I've talked to people first hand who have seen them from the ground and up close. This is the second drone video I've seen with them making a cameo. I believe these are the larger UFO's remote vehicles, or drones:). Out & about collecting data and what not.........

After a quick review of the footage I discovered 7 of them all moving that fast...

Very nice footage and editing - great job. Thank you for posting.

I have seen a few of these videos now and I am no closer as to a guess of what they might be. However, I do notice for the most part, when spotted, they always seem to be over an area with trees.

Even slowed down I didn't see as many as you spotted - with an "eye" like that, forensic video studies should be in your future - LOL - great area to fly and a beauty spot with the fall colours etc. Nice job of filming and flying.

Note that it is virtually impossible to measure the velocity of an object without either viewing from 2 angles (such as stereo vision) or at the very least knowing the measurements of the object. At least if you knew the size and dimensions you could a model an approximation of the objects velocity.

Also, beware of confirmation bias - instead of looking at the possibilities (bird poop, floating seed pods, some kid with a huge potato-gun etc), there is a distinct possibility that you want the UFO to remain just that - something in the air that you don't actually wish to receive a plausible explanation for.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I wonder if this is some sun glint off the white blades over the face of the lens cover or filter?

As has been at least implied above - your calculations include an implicit assumption on the size of the objects and the distance of their trajectories from your aircraft. You cannot calculate speed without knowing that, since all you can measure is angular deflection from the lens center. But you appear to have discarded the rate of change of object subtended size, which would allow to estimate trajectory if they are moving at constant velocity relative to the aircraft. For the most visible object the rate of change of size is large but the apparent size is small. That tells you that you are looking a very small object close to the lens and just off axis. These are tiny, very close, and slow moving, or possibly stationary, with the apparent speed being the result of the moving aircraft.

Reactions: GMack and flyboy73
Here's another one where the drone is stationary.....

Reactions: GMack
Here's another one where the drone is stationary.....

Again, while you make the assumption these items are moving very fast, the more realistic reason for their appearance is the fact that these are very small items that are being blown past the stationary drone by winds aloft that could be 20, 30, (or more) miles per hour. Winds are often much stronger even a couple hundred feet above the ground. The other reason for their apparent speed is the wide angle lens used by the small drone cameras. There is an optical effect that makes items approaching or retreating from a wide angle lens seem to be going at a higher rate of speed than is actually the case. The mind interprets the very small item in the distance, and the very quick relative change as it becomes closer, as high speed. The opposite is true if you are filming through a longer than normal focal length lens, such as a telephoto lens. Nothing more exotic here than physics.

As has been at least implied above - your calculations include an implicit assumption on the size of the objects and the distance of their trajectories from your aircraft. You cannot calculate speed without knowing that, since all you can measure is angular deflection from the lens center. But you appear to have discarded the rate of change of object subtended size, which would allow to estimate trajectory if they are moving at constant velocity relative to the aircraft. For the most visible object the rate of change of size is large but the apparent size is small. That tells you that you are looking a very small object close to the lens and just off axis. These are tiny, very close, and slow moving, or possibly stationary, with the apparent speed being the result of the moving aircraft.

Plausible. Could be tiny white flies or woolly aphids. Once the leaves drop in the fall and it gets colder, they may go away - if that's what they are. The blurry one at 5:11 above does lie like there might be wings beating to the sides.

very small items that are being blown past the stationary drone by winds aloft that could be 20, 30, (or more) miles per hour. Winds are often much stronger even a couple hundred feet above the ground.

Well I suppose in defence of the person filming and/or posting and despite agreeing somewhat with what you are saying pertaining to wind speed up there - I think you have to keep in mind if it is something being blown by strong wind, how does the person operating the drone keep it so steady in higher winds for those shots and filming since he too is up there with those higher wind speeds??

Well I suppose in defence of the person filming and/or posting and despite agreeing somewhat with what you are saying pertaining to wind speed up there - I think you have to keep in mind if it is something being blown by strong wind, how does the person operating the drone keep it so steady in higher winds for those shots and filming since he too is up there with those higher wind speeds??
These are GPS controlled devices. They are designed to stay in one spot unless there are control inputs to move them. Even strong winds can be fairly steady, and not require a lot of effort to hold position.

Sorry I have been very busy with work and had no time to reply,
if you have a look at the object 3 on large screen other than your I-phone you will clearly see that object 3 is coming out from behind the trees and changing z axis sort of rolling...,
I determined the distance based on google map image and my telemetry from the flight record, the object comes from behind the trees and it is passing by in a bout a 58 frames of record, that's 1 second in time, calculate that x 60 and x 60 and divide by 1000 , it will give you an approximate speed in km/h even if that was 600 km/h what piece of dirt or insect could fly by in 1 second of time that speed...
It's impossible, I call this a UFO as indeed it is an unidentified flying object that clearly has a shape, heading direction and extreme speed, the other objects I simply have no clue what they could be...
Maybe some distortion in the camera lens, I don't know, besides the video that had been uploaded to youtube has been fairly compressed by youtube and you cannot see the same detail as it appears on my screen, I will upload the original video to drop box later on this week and you or whom ever can examine it themselves...
Someone mentioned wind, there was absolutely no wind, look at the lake surface... not a wake on water, also the trees aren't moving and I was about 100 ft above those trees, I can also pull out weather data for that area and prove there was no wind that day.
I did not post this here to get an Oscar for best ufo film lol , I am simply astounded what the camera captured as I never seen this before in any of my videos and I do fly frequently.
Nevertheless, thanks for the replies and the other video links, I am planning another trip to that place this coming weekend if I meet the Aliens there, I will invite them over for a beer ! lol

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Sorry I have been very busy with work and had no time to reply,
if you have a look at the object 3 on large screen other than your I-phone you will clearly see that object 3 is coming out from behind the trees and changing z axis sort of rolling...,
I determined the distance based on google map image and my telemetry from the flight record, the object comes from behind the trees and it is passing by in a bout a 58 frames of record, that's 1 second in time, calculate that x 60 and x 60 and divide by 1000 , it will give you an approximate speed in km/h even if that was 600 km/h what piece of dirt or insect could fly by in 1 second of time that speed...
It's impossible, I call this a UFO as indeed it is an unidentified flying object that clearly has a shape, heading direction and extreme speed, the other objects I simply have no clue what they could be...
Maybe some distortion in the camera lens, I don't know, besides the video that had been uploaded to youtube has been fairly compressed by youtube and you cannot see the same detail as it appears on my screen, I will upload the original video to drop box later on this week and you or whom ever can examine it themselves...
Someone mentioned wind, there was absolutely no wind, look at the lake surface... not a wake on water, also the trees aren't moving and I was about 100 ft above those trees, I can also pull out weather data for that area and prove there was no wind that day.
I did not post this here to get an Oscar for best ufo film lol , I am simply astounded what the camera captured as I never seen this before in any of my videos and I do fly frequently.
Nevertheless, thanks for the replies and the other video links, I am planning another trip to that place this coming weekend if I meet the Aliens there, I will invite them over for a beer ! lol

That clarifies how you arrived at your distance traveled estimate - but you have been deceived by an optical illusion. I suspect at this point that you are simply not going to be shaken from your theory, but the object is not coming from behind the trees; rather it is so small that it only becomes resolved by the camera sensor when it is very close to the aircraft. The action is all taking place within a few meters of the lens.

You can often see similar optical effects with large dust particles on surveillance cameras using IR illumination, which then appear as small spheres flying randomly around in the field of view. In this case the forward motion of aircraft, as I mentioned before, provides all you need for the uniform motion towards the aircraft.

I determined the distance based on google map image and my telemetry from the flight record, the object comes from behind the trees and it is passing by in a bout a 58 frames of record

I'm sorry but as others have already said, it is impossible to determine several things and I believe you are making several assumptions:

1. It came from behind a tree
A. Due to the trajectory not bring visibly curved whatsoever, I don't believe this is true. You see zero indication of a curve trajectory which would be very visible on that axis. I think instead what you are seeing is a tiny object appearing from its vanishing point, and at this point you are falling for the cum hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy, namely "the object first comes into view by the trees, therefore it comes from the trees".

2. It went by in 58 frames, therefore it is going at X speed
A. Without knowing the size of the object and taking into account point 1 above, you are making many assumptions linking this object's velocity to ground speed whilst having several missing variables needed to calculate said velocity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: sar104

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan