TV show - quadcopters part of the plot

Buk

Reaction score
A TV show shown in the US used two different quadcopters as part of the show's assassination themed plot.

The start of the show "Legends" had a man practice "placing", with a quadcopter, a functional bomb and the show ends with a successful (dreadful description) explosive assassination via a different make and design of quadcopter.

A chilling and graphic representation of one of the many potential applications of "hobby-grade" radio controlled aircraft. If you were someone the least bit intimidated by or concerned about the uses of multi-rotors, this would definitely give you pause, if you see one in the air.

As much as I love my Phantom and excited about all the possibilities of what these flying machines will do in the future --- it also scares the living poop outta me of what kind of nefarious uses people will use them for in the coming years.

Installing bombs and guns on drones is not a huge leap in technical wizardry. Combine that fact with all the psychotic weirdos out there in the world. We're in for scary times ahead.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCH1492CzA[/youtube]

You can fill a truck with far more explosives, drive it into something and cause a little bit more damage. Its not the drone or truck thats dangerous but the person behind the controls that has evil intentions.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
You can fill a truck with far more explosives, drive it into something and cause a little bit more damage.

I agree --- but also try to remember that law enforcement and Secret Service are good at setting up security perimeters on the GROUND in order to stop a truck filled with explosives --- they are very ill-equipped and almost powerless to stop an inbound drone armed with something nasty.

From elsewhere in the world it is amusing that the US thinks having 300 million guns in the community is normal but is so scared of something like our toy drones.

The difference between the guns or filling a truck with explosives and a drone is the bad guy can pilot the drone remotely and use GPS and FPV to locate the target. YOu need someone there to pull the trigger or drive the truck. OK, you could also strap an explosive to an RC car, but it would be near impossible to drive it to a target from a distance away.

As a hobbyist, it's great that we can modify the aircraft and extend the range or use the 7th channel and a servo to tilt the camera. But extended range and additional channels can be used for nefarious purposes as well. By no means am I anti UAV. I have a P2V+ and plan to buy a Scout X4. I think they are a great hobby and a great tool for some businesses. At the same time I don't think it's a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" bad guys use these hobby aircraft for their own purposes.

I saw an episode of Hawaii Five-O this new season that had quadcopters that fired 7.62. In the end they programmed a controller to take over the TX signal to defeat it. It was very unrealistic, but entertaining. The thing fired probably 500+ rounds, but there was no onboard storage to be seen. LOL.

MadMitch88 said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
You can fill a truck with far more explosives, drive it into something and cause a little bit more damage.

I agree --- but also try to remember that law enforcement and Secret Service are good at setting up security perimeters on the GROUND in order to stop a truck filled with explosives --- they are very ill-equipped and almost powerless to stop an inbound drone armed with something nasty.

Disagree - If drones with explosives were flown autonomously and getting their positional data via GPS methods exist already to prevent this.

GPS blocking was used very successfully in the last few weeks at the G9 summit in Wales. GPS reception was disrupted for an area covering several square miles surrounding the summit venue for the very reason you describe.

Don't worry.... the skies are well covered security wise as well!!

Koz said:
I don't think it's a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" bad guys use these hobby aircraft for their own purposes.

The bad guys have had 50 years to get around to using radio controlled aircraft so far.
It's not like radio control was only invented when Phantoms became available.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl