Travelling to London - Worth Bringing the Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi There,

Looking for some general feedback on travelling with my Phantom V2+.

We are going to London for a week (looking forward to it) and I am curious to hear what the feedback on travelling abroad with the phantom is and specifically if it's worth taking it to London when most of my opportunities will most likely be within Populated areas (London) rather than the surrounds.

My Plans are as Follows:
- Take the Phantom via Air Canada as Checked Baggage (Vantage Uprise 48 Back Pack) - AC doesn't event list LIPO's as restricted so I'm not sure if this is OK - http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... -batteries
- My plan is to take 3 batteries
- My understanding is that I would need to switch my remote into CE mode for the trip.
- Legal Requirements from the CAA in the UK seem to indicate the following for recreational use of a Phantom 2 (Under 20 KG)

"UAVs have to remain 150m from congested events or large assemblies, 50m from a person or building, and within line of sight, which is 500m horizontally and 400ft (122m) vertically"

My main questions are:
- Will I have issues with security at Canadian or UK airports?
- Is it practical to think that in London I will be able to find 50M away from a person of building or is this not really worth the trouble?
- Would anyone know if my personal liability insurance (covered to 2M) is valid in the UK?

Any insight before we leave on the weekend is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

I suppose you could fly in one of the big London parks (Hyde Park, etc), but I'd question whether or not it's worth it. There's so much to do and see in London, that personally I'd leave the Phantom at home.

HarryT said:
I suppose you could fly in one of the big London parks (Hyde Park, etc), but I'd question whether or not it's worth it. There's so much to do and see in London, that personally I'd leave the Phantom at home.
Agree, unless you're planning side trips to the country.

By law you can't fly in Hyde Park.It is one (if not THE one where drones and other RC flying stuff is not authorised.)Parks are just parks and my guess for having visited Quebec and Ontario in the past is that your country side is fabulous and there is nothing that you don't already have at home.(not mentioning the British miserable weather most of the time)
I would say like Harry, Leave the phantom at home and enjoy London.
But if you really want to fly in the UK, IMO the main concern is about the batteries. Check and declare you are carrying batteries, in the appropriate container.There are specific rules for transporting Lithium batteries on a plane.

Good decision to leave it at home :)

Most of London is restricted airspace (certainly for rotor aircraft), and the Hyde Park has a specific restriction zone (EG R157) from the Surface to 1400ft. All though it's called the Hyde Park zone, it covers a massive area, as far south as the river and the vast majority of the West End of Central London :)

harryb said:
Most of London is restricted airspace (certainly for rotor aircraft), and the Hyde Park has a specific restriction zone (EG R157) from the Surface to 1400ft.

Thanks - I didn't know that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl