Transmitter mw - 2000mw to 25mw

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently bought an FPV system for my Phantom 2 and GoPro Hero4 with Zenmuse gimbal. My set up for the FPV is now:

Boscam Thunderbolt RX and TX
Cloverleaf antenna x 2
Boscam Galaxy D2 7 inch Monitor
IOSD Mini
GoPro to DJI

However I have been told that the limit of output from the transmitter here in the UK is 25mw. And the Thunderbolt is 2000mw after some research.
Is it as easy as changing the transmitter to a 25mw one and would my monitor work with that? Obviously a reduction in range. But just wanted to know if it would be as simple as that so I can stick to the rules.

(I did ask upon buying the equipment if it was all legal for the UK and they said yes. A bit frustrated to find out it wasnt).

If anyone could help and give some advice I would be greatful!

Thanks

Should be "simple" as replacing the TX. I have yet to see one with adjustable output. A 25 mW TX will be fairly cheap. Your range will be about 50% of the 2000mW.

Most diversity monitors should be able to tune or be tuned to the TX. Just look at the TX data - confirm your monitor/ RX can tune to it.

There has never been a prosecution for exceeding the 5.8ghz wifi transmitter power regulation in the UK (25mw),despite the law.
I'm not telling you to exceed it but if you did, you would be very unlucky to be prosecuted for it. A lot on here use 600mw tx's.

With good antennas you may get acceptable range with a 25mw tx, depending what you consider acceptable range.

I am hoping to do some comparisons with a 600mw IRC and a 25mw IRC, but adding the FPVLR kit. I am hoping that it will allow me to fly out to the edges of the legal 500mx400' cylinder. If it does I will stick with it.

It will just take one OFCOM prosecution and there will be loads of 600mw transmitters on ebay :D

The fpvlr kit should do well or if you want to stick to UK then Horizon antennas are also very good.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I am going to get an ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 25mW Transmitter and use some cloverleaf antennas that I had already.

My monitor is 32 frequency selectable so it will pick up the Immersion.

Thanks again!

So long as the antennae are well matched, the range on 25mW is acceptable, but I find the fade when turning to be a bit of a pain.

I have both a 25mW and an Immersion 600mW and I am sure you can guess which one I generally use lol.

If you go any further you might hit fail safe, did you see improvement in battery life also using 25 mw?

Turbazz said:
If you go any further you might hit fail safe, did you see improvement in battery life also using 25 mw?

I only flew for 9 minutes, and had 45% battery left, and from looking at my flight log, this is pretty much identical to what I had before with similar length flights.

you law abiding citizen----------who is going to know if your Mw is to much or to low....just like bumping up the frequency of the 5.8 ghz transmitter for the vision 2....im sorry but certain rules are dumb and the more you guys learn to play stupid...do now and ask for forgiveness later...I just feel like so many people are worried about the wrong stuff in life!! is your little remote control toy going to hurt someone or damage anything if you have a bit more frequency? -EDITED NON-PHANTOM REMARKS-

propwash3d said:
you law abiding citizen----------who is going to know if your Mw is to much or to low....just like bumping up the frequency of the 5.8 ghz transmitter for the vision 2....im sorry but certain rules are dumb and the more you guys learn to play stupid...do now and ask for forgiveness later...I just feel like so many people are worried about the wrong stuff in life!! is your little remote control toy going to hurt someone or damage anything if you have a bit more frequency?

Totally agree,Thank god Theresa May is starting a investigation! Anyway back to transmitters..

Go for the 600 stop being silly :D

-EDITED QUOTE COMMENTS-

propwash3d said:
you law abiding citizen----------who is going to know if your Mw is to much or to low....just like bumping up the frequency of the 5.8 ghz transmitter for the vision 2....im sorry but certain rules are dumb and the more you guys learn to play stupid...do now and ask for forgiveness later...I just feel like so many people are worried about the wrong stuff in life!! is your little remote control toy going to hurt someone or damage anything if you have a bit more frequency? thats ok...follow the rules

I think you are more troubled by this than I am :roll:

I see it as a technical challenge. If I can fly within a 500mx400' cylinder with the same quality of FPV as 600mw, but using a 25mw... then why wouldn't I.

-EDITED NON-PHANTOM REMARKS- back to the Mw watts...bump it up..you paid for it now use it the way it was made....:) oh yeah bothered by the mw rule...i say fly as far and high as your litlle drone will take you...skies are big enough.....if you hit a plane and the drone brings it down...i would say...we need to start building stronger planes

propwash3d said:
-EDITED NON-PHANTOM REMARKS- back to the Mw watts...bump it up..you paid for it now use it the way it was made....:) oh yeah bothered by the mw rule...i say fly as far and high as your litlle drone will take you...skies are big enough.....if you hit a plane and the drone brings it down...i would say...we need to start building stronger planes

My last response to you.... Troll. No more food.

A troll???-----you mean a little midget that lives under the bridge like a leprechaun....like the fairy tail a troll under the bridge? :) LOL im using a 600 mw 5.8 GHz transmitter for the fpv---with the bluebeam whip antenna....range is decent..i coulnt imagin only 25mw...you guys that are getting over 2k must have a gift..i cant see how its possible.....BTW @Hughie--you ladies have to stop being so sensative!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl