Transmission signal

Reaction score
Hey team.
I'm doing some distance trials this week and finding that the dji stats do not match my actual testing.
I've been to 200 meters altitude though. ..scarey.
In a straight line...30 meters high i managed 300 meters before the video signal started to go. Im using an samsung 5 with a lifeproof cover. " red 5" is updated and the app is updated.
The controller signal seemed strong though. Problem being...cant see...cant control.
Any tips...settings that can be investigated to get me out to 800 meters??.
Now. ..there was one treeline. ..1 railway line and 3 wite fences that were passed during the linear flight. Like i said. ..the controller signal seemed good...but video came up worth that red flashing pesky message.
Thoughts.

Hey team.
I'm doing some distance trials this week and finding that the dji stats do not match my actual testing.
In a straight line...30 meters high i managed 300 meters before the video signal started to go. Im using an samsung 5 with a lifeproof cover. " red 5" is updated and the app is updated.
The controller signal seemed strong though. Problem being...cant see...cant control.
Now. ..there was one treeline. ..1 railway line and 3 wite fences that were passed during the linear flight. Like i said. ..the controller signal seemed good...but video came up worth that red flashing pesky message.
Thoughts.

tip one - fly higher
tip two - papatita mod
tip three - dbs

Anything else i can do with the phone (flight mode) ec or fcc settings ...cover off??.
Ill fo an extra altitude range test this arvo.

Im in Australia btw.

Anything else i can do with the phone (flight mode) ec or fcc settings ...cover off??.
Ill fo an extra altitude range test this arvo.

Im in Australia btw.

I'm in Oz, just got mine a few weeks ago so I'm a new flyer.

Research is your friend - have you tried the FCC mod? What version of the go app and firmware are you using?

I can get 700m distance and over 100m high using 1.5.7 DJI Go app 2.9.2 and the FCC mod supplied by Papatita (see his thread). CE screws us so out of the box range is reduced compared to the US, but it's even worse with the latest firmware.

Thanks team. Ill have a crack at some of this stuff. Not sure how to adjust dbm. Full disclosure - I am only lv 15 so pretty new to this stuff.

Did it again yesterday at 50 meters...same result.signal seemed good but dropped out again at 300 meters. I wonder if the angle and treeline is the cause...the angle would be about right to interupt a signal.it seems to go from great signal (5 bars) straight to almost nil very suddenly - say over the distance of 10 meters so it could be the trees blocking the signal. the control signal is still strong - just the video signal is a prob. Ill go again today where there are no tress to block signal and gain a bit of height as well.
all of the gear is fully updated to the most current versions - batteries , remote and the drone. I would not know where to start going backwards with firmware and would prefer not too. As suggested - ill Google the **** out of some of this stuff but as its new - don't want to go nuts with too many mods and stuff in case there are warranty issues. what height was that 700 meters transmission range at (100 meters yes)?
I must admit - its just about getting the range that Ill never use now - a matter of honour! I would like to know under what conditions I can get the max range (height , other signals etc).
REgards to all.

CC

To the guy's that got their post deleted....Concerning these CE threads / Moving to the US ,gun talk and getting mad because of such and name calling isn't going to be tolerated .
Please refrain from doing it and if you see it hit the Report Button do not respond as it just escalates . Thank you

Reactions: shanek
Hey team.
Thoughts.
Tip #1 do the dBm mod, How to Update Tx-Power with DJIUpdate.exe (CE to FCC)
Tip #2 do the DBS mod,
Tip #3 get amps for the DBS antenna
Tip #4 Fly higher, at least 120 meters min. 30 meters is way too low of a distance test.

will that be a warranty voiding action ?

The more I look into this , the more it seems the last firmware update was a sourse of some issue in terms of actual range.

Thanks.

you guys are really helpful.

will that be a warranty voiding action ?

The more I look into this , the more it seems the last firmware update was a sourse of some issue in terms of actual range.

Thanks.

you guys are really helpful.
Any RC mod will void the warranty on the RC, yes. But the AC would still be under warranty. On the dBm mod, since it's software I guess you could uninstall it going back to the default FW before a warranty service/claim. Otherwise who knows??

I got 1370 meters distance yesterday with an $8 parabolic. Lost sight of it at 900. Kept going and hit RTH at 1370

Thanks team. Ill have a crack at some of this stuff. Not sure how to adjust dbm. Full disclosure - I am only lv 15 so pretty new to this stuff.

Did it again yesterday at 50 meters...same result.signal seemed good but dropped out again at 300 meters.

CC

Im almost sure 300m is the max limit on 1.6 now. The guy who first cracked this mod recieced an email from DJI stating this. I know in the specs it says 500m but this came straight from the horses mouth.
300 was all i was getting before i modded.now i can get just over 2km. DBS mod plus Papatita mod v3.8 at 25dbm

Make sure to point your antenna towards the drone. Vertical for distance. Horizontal for altitude. Makes a huge difference.

So if i understand this right. ...if i downgrade to 1.5 and do nothing else it would seem an almost 200 meter increase.
If i stay on 1.6 and use a parabolic would tjere be an increase in video transmission range. Thoughts. I atarted looking at some of these mods but i really am just looking to challenge the 500 meter range. I want what i paid for!!!!btw...is the an english translation for that paptita thing. ...i googled it and it was in spanish??. I do not understand espaniol.

So if i understand this right. ...if i downgrade to 1.5 and do nothing else it would seem an almost 200 meter increase.
If i stay on 1.6 and use a parabolic would tjere be an increase in video transmission range. Thoughts. I atarted looking at some of these mods but i really am just looking to challenge the 500 meter range. I want what i paid for!!!!btw...is the an english translation for that paptita thing. ...i googled it and it was in spanish??. I do not understand espaniol.
Dude his thread is here. How to up date TX power.
The origin of how it came about is here also, Standard range mod lets do it together, but its full of programmer talk that i for one dont understand and wouldnt attempt.
Papatitas mod was born from that thread and made it a WHOLE lot simpler to do.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yesterday I push my phantom to the farthest limit and can get 1.8km, only with original antenna + windsurfer + Magic Power v5.0
That's really good. I'm only getting a bit more (2.2km) using a DBS mod and being in FCC mode.

I am om 1.6.8 because it claims to reconnect video faster when disconnected. I can live with some shorter range (900m instead of 1200m without mod CE)
But if the mod makes a stronger video link it probably won't disconnect that much? What I didn't like with 1.5.7 is that when video is lost it doesn't reconnect until bird is all the way home!
AND now with 1.5.7 the latest DJI GO 3.0 doesn't work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So more range tests confirm a distance of 300 meters seems to be the max for my video signal.
I've downgraded the firmware to 1.5.7 which appears to work fine with the latest djo go app and the most current remote firmware.
Weather permitting tomorrow I'll take it out to the same place and conduct another range test.
I did see somewhere that 1.5.7 does not reconnect after signal loss. Is this correct??
If its the same distance...back up to 1.6 we will go. .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl