TrackTenna 1080P range to 2KM.

Reaction score
We know the new TrackTenna can extend the Inspire2 range to 10KM, but we've been doing that for a while with DBS2.2 and 3W amps with Phantoms. However, with TrackTenna it will support 1080P to 2KM, supporting the full 10mbps rate, which I'm unsure if DBS will do that. If you can maintain 10mbps, you can support 1080 resolution to the RC for big screen display, via HDMI.

This becomes interesting for a lot of different applications. As I had mentioned earlier, at CES I saw DJI using a small wireless video receiver called RoboMaster, linked wireless to their demo Mavic and sending 1080 video via HDMI cable to a big screen TV. I'm told this resolution is only good for a couple hundred yards, then it goes to 720, stepping down with a slower <10mbps bit-stream.

With Inspire2, you can link a slave RC wireless to the craft's video downstream and feed 1080 video via HDMI to a big screen, in he same way RoboMaster works, except the Inspire controller is battery powered, RoboMaster is AC powered. Using the TrackTenna device (price unknown as of today) you can get up to 2KM at 1080P, so I would guess that means it will go a good 1500M, as they always over-rate actual real world range, that's IMO. Big screen projection in 1080 is a very interesting capability, IMO.

The applications for this are when groups of people want or need to see what the pilot sees in the RC display. This could include search and rescue, weddings, special entertainment, building-bridge-tower inspections, construction site supervision, racing events such as sail boats, desert motorcycle, baja racing, etc. The applications are endless, and DJI is the only one that provides a solution in this cost range while providing good quality aerial video. You can actually link up to 5 slave RCs to a single Inspire2, so you could have big screens spread all around an area, all seeing the same live aerial video.

RoboMaster for Mavic isn't a product yet from DJI, and they won't say when or if they will sell it. I talked with a design director at NAB this week and begged him to convince Frank Wang to sell RoboMaster for Mavic. I will be emailing him with a detailed list of use cases that would benefit from RoboMaster.

We know the new TrackTenna can extend the Inspire2 range to 10KM, but we've been doing that for a while with DBS2.2 and 3W amps with Phantoms. However, with TrackTenna it will support 1080P to 2KM, supporting the full 10mbps rate, which I'm unsure if DBS will do that. If you can maintain 10mbps, you can support 1080 resolution to the RC for big screen display, via HDMI.

This becomes interesting for a lot of different applications. As I had mentioned earlier, at CES I saw DJI using a small wireless video receiver called RoboMaster, linked wireless to their demo Mavic and sending 1080 video via HDMI cable to a big screen TV. I'm told this resolution is only good for a couple hundred yards, then it goes to 720, stepping down with a slower <10mbps bit-stream.

With Inspire2, you can link a slave RC wireless to the craft's video downstream and feed 1080 video via HDMI to a big screen, in he same way RoboMaster works, except the Inspire controller is battery powered, RoboMaster is AC powered. Using the TrackTenna device (price unknown as of today) you can get up to 2KM at 1080P, so I would guess that means it will go a good 1500M, as they always over-rate actual real world range, that's IMO. Big screen projection in 1080 is a very interesting capability, IMO.

The applications for this are when groups of people want or need to see what the pilot sees in the RC display. This could include search and rescue, weddings, special entertainment, building-bridge-tower inspections, construction site supervision, racing events such as sail boats, desert motorcycle, baja racing, etc. The applications are endless, and DJI is the only one that provides a solution in this cost range while providing good quality aerial video. You can actually link up to 5 slave RCs to a single Inspire2, so you could have big screens spread all around an area, all seeing the same live aerial video.

RoboMaster for Mavic isn't a product yet from DJI, and they won't say when or if they will sell it. I talked with a design director at NAB this week and begged him to convince Frank Wang to sell RoboMaster for Mavic. I will be emailing him with a detailed list of use cases that would benefit from RoboMaster.

indeed interesting. However, it is mainly due to the new Lightbridge protocol to achieve bandwidth. The tracktenna is still within FCC/CE limits. I don't know how accurate the tracker works but the antenna they use is actually too broad for tracking efficiently. I would replace the tracktenna antennas with a 2.4GHZ Mimo high gain panel of 20db.. Or only use its electronics to control my own pan/tilt unit capable of turning 24dbi grid antennas..
For search and rescue and other professional applications penetration and listening to the drone is crucial. If it can maintain bandwidth it would be really great as you wrote. The cendence sends obviously type of NMEA data to the tracktenna via CAN bus...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan