Tracking device

DattaGroover said:
I got my sim for under $50 and then it's $25 for 3 months- though there may be other plans out there.
In other countries, I have bought the sim card for $1 then put 3 months on it for $20 or $30 - right there in the 7-11.

DattaGroover said:
Marlin009 said:
Researching trackers so I figured I'd just bump this thread.

Do any of these trackers that use cell service work with Verizon?
I read that they did not but it's not apparent reading through the descriptions of the devices.

I have an HTC Windows phone using Verizon. Narrowing down the options would be a good thing.

What about Flytrex?

I use the one from Drone-mods.com, and it works great with my Verizon service. I got the international version, so I can get sim cards in any of the countries I travel in.

You cannot get your sim card for this tracker from Verizon (or sprint) since it is GSM - it must be from ATT. Could be T-Mobile, but they have poor coverage. I got my sim for under $50 and then it's $25 for 3 months- though there may be other plans out there. Helpful hint- get your sim card at an ATT store not online. That way you can make sure it's good right then and there.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Edge, but any phone that shows maps will work fine. It does not have to be GSM - only the tracker.

Hope that's helpful.

According to their site, it comes with the 'specialized' SIM card. Am I missing something?

Marlin009 said:
DattaGroover said:
Marlin009 said:
Researching trackers so I figured I'd just bump this thread.

Do any of these trackers that use cell service work with Verizon?
I read that they did not but it's not apparent reading through the descriptions of the devices.

I have an HTC Windows phone using Verizon. Narrowing down the options would be a good thing.

What about Flytrex?

I use the one from Drone-mods.com, and it works great with my Verizon service. I got the international version, so I can get sim cards in any of the countries I travel in.

You cannot get your sim card for this tracker from Verizon (or sprint) since it is GSM - it must be from ATT. Could be T-Mobile, but they have poor coverage. I got my sim for under $50 and then it's $25 for 3 months- though there may be other plans out there. Helpful hint- get your sim card at an ATT store not online. That way you can make sure it's good right then and there.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Edge, but any phone that shows maps will work fine. It does not have to be GSM - only the tracker.

Hope that's helpful.

According to their site, it comes with the 'specialized' SIM card. Am I missing something?
I just walked into ATT and bought a "regular" sim card. I did get the international version of the tracker, so that's the only one I can speak directly to. I did find their (Drone-Mods.com) customer support very responsive. They answered all my questions quickly and accurately.

DattaGroover said:
I just walked into ATT and bought a "regular" sim card. I did get the international version of the tracker, so that's the only one I can speak directly to. I did find their (Drone-Mods.com) customer support very responsive. They answered all my questions quickly and accurately.

Ah, I forgot you mentioned getting the Intl version. Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Hi,

Only had my Phantom 2 Vision+ for a week and only had 1 flight so far because of the weather and dark nights. Can't wait to get it back out so hoping for some better weather this weekend.

I have been looking for some sort of tracker for the slim change the vp2 goes for a fly about on its own. I am not looking for a flight tracker just something that will help me find my Phantom if I loss it. I can see that there are tonnes of GPS trackers on ebay that you text to find the location but not sure what would be good for the phantom. What do you guys have as a basic device and what would you recomend.

Thanks
Bought the "Marco Polo" Drone Tracker after I lost mine no montly fees, not GPS but RF,originally used to find lost pets

Fyi. trackimo uses AT&T GSM and if you call/ email them they will open Intl service as posted in another thread somewhere on this forum. I mounted on the Carbon fiber Camera Gimbal Guard and all is good. Reason I bought is so I don't have to pay a bill every month as service is free year 1

Bought the "Marco Polo" Drone Tracker after I lost mine no montly fees, not GPS but RF,originally used to find lost pets

I also just ordered an RC Marco Polo because I don't usually fly great distances but if it happens to fly off or auto land in some nearby wooded areas I want to be able to easily find it. I also like not having a monthly cell service fee - especially when not flying much at all during the winter months. And I can always use the tracker on any other drone I might purchase down the line. We'll see how it works out -- though I hope I never have to put it to the test.

I like the Drone-Mods UAV Locator...every time before I fly I make a call and make sure it locates where I am. Then I can fly with some confidence! Also, don't forget your 'REWARD - Call xxx-xxx-xxxx' sticker!

For those considering a Marco Polo tracker.. It took a while to figure out where to place the tag as I didn't want it to obstruct any Phantom air vents and I also wanted to insure, as best as possible, that the tag antenna orientation wouldn't wind up horizontal if the bird is lost. (Some signal strength may be compromised if horizontal at ground level.) Mounting the tag at the top of a front leg away from the main antenna and the compass (just as a precaution) seems to work well. In that location, the antenna will be vertical regardless if the bird auto lands on its feet or is belly up. And if it is tipped onto any two prop arms, the antenna will wind up at about a 45 degree angle and not horizontal. Naturally, no telling the orientation if it comes down in a tree or brush. And I was really happy to discover that the hand-held tracking unit stores nicely between the RC and Phantom in my case. I pray I never have to actually use it -- but with no monthly cell service charge (I don't get to fly very often) I'll be happy if it just sits there until I transfer it to my next bird.

tracker1a.jpg
tracker2a.jpg

Hi..I am new to this just have a couple of flights under my belt....had a hubson for a while though....I have the trackamo ....but am considering marco polo as well...just so I can pin point.....the trackamo is very vague in its location....may use both after reading this forum. ..lol....does anyone think that the trackamo gps affects the birds gps?

I ended up getting the UAV Locator from Drone Mods. I've done a few tests and it is very accurate, even inside my house.

Easy setup. Oh wait, there isn't any setup. :cool:

Emails to my AOL address were getting blocked by AOL but Bob @ Drone Mods had it changed to my work email in a few hours. Great customer service!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl