Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Trackimo mount Which is more stable - Velcro or Side-Mount?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Shep, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Shep

I have seen several posts on here about the Trackimo side mount losing the device on a crash. From what I can gather the top "door" comes open with the force of the crash. Which makes me wonder if Velcro may be a better way to go? I really don't want to have to strap it down if I don't have to.

Ideas, suggestions?

Shep

2. flpholt

mount works great you should not crash but if you due I put the Velcro on backside of trackimo then put it in mount real sturdy but I don't plan on crashing if I due will still find it with trackimo

3. flpholt

plus if you crash hard Velcro isn't going to hold it on

4. flpholt

agflying.com has the mounts they are in California

5. Shep

No one "should crash" - but let's be real - people do. Thus the comments on the forums regarding their Trackimo coming out of the mount. BTW - you link is not working..

6. Reed L

Yup, I crashed with my trackimo held on with just the velcro. It bounced off of the phantom on impact but it was still there at the crash site. The velcro itself was fine and stayed together, it was the sticky glue that came off of my camera guard. I have thought about using the mount but Gorilla Glue should easily hold the velcro to the guard. DSC00907.JPG

7. varangian

I'm waiting on the side mount for my P3P, but on my FC40 I use a accessory tray at the rear with velcro AND a strap.Crashes can be violent affairs and I want the tracker to remain with the bird.

8. spin2win

Bought the side mount but when I received it, it didn't seem that well polished and looking like it would end up scratching the heck out of the trackimo (not that it would ruin it but hey it wasn't crazy cheap either). Have it sitting around here in a box somewhere. Ended up using the soft case it comes with, then not only just using the small piece of velcro on the bottom of trackimo mounted to camera guard as Reed L above did, but also running a velcro strap through and around the camera guard that strapped Trackimo to camera guard. To top it off, used a tether that quickly fastens to landing gear so if there was any chance of it actually coming separated from camera guard (don't think it will ever be a problem) it is still attached to the bird. Works really good, dig it.

Reed L likes this.
  9. flpholt

opps I messed up its flyingag.com need rest some times

10. JackSprat

Do you have a gimbal guard on your P3? If so, you could run one of these. I'm running one of the UAVbits gimbal guards, and mine slips over the outer edges of the guard. There is a another version that fits generic type guards by using a twist mount that fits into a slotted opening of 0.35 in. x 0.8 in. with a material thickness of 0.060 in. or less. Both use zip ties to keep them secure.

I have not crash tested this, but the zip tie should hold it in place even if the mount broke during a ... uncontrolled decent. ;)

[​IMG]

11. flpholt

never crash test it

12. tabbytabz07

for me its the one with velcro..i used velcro though