Tough Choice - But P4P going back

Reaction score
P4P is all packed up with all the extra batteries and accessories. It has been a real tough call. Love it in every way except size. So i am now jumping on the Mavic band wagon. It has been a tough couple of weeks making this decision. It had crossed my mind I would keep both, but I could see me using one or the other only and leave the other depreciating. I suppose if I miss it in a few weeks I can buy it back...

It was a tough call for me too but ultimately the P4P had too many features that I wanted... much better camera (I'm still startled by some of the imagery I see out of that little thing), 360-degree object avoidance, smart (backtrack) RTH, and last but not least the 5.8 GHz band capability. The Mavic is sexy but the only plus in its column was size. I know that can be a critical factor for some and quite understandably, but not big enough a factor for me to outweigh the other considerations. If the Mavic 2 has enough improvements that may be enough to sway me at some point in the future.

Good luck to both of y'all in your decisions. However, I'm really hoping DJI hits a grand slam homerun with its next generation prosumer drone by not evolving the plastic hollow airframe of the Phantom line, but to go the Mavic Pro design route....just big enough to have a great camera/gimbal combination and be a little more stable in strong winds with the extra heft it will have.

I see that if they did, the Mavic Pro may not look so good anymore with the slightly larger Jumbo Mavic or Folding Phantom being about as portable. No one knows what this next bird will be, but if DJI continues to just evolve as history shows, I will become a reluctant customer for my next drone purchase. I really like the Mavic but...I'm going to hold off for something better.

Reactions: AwesoM
You will regret going the Mavic route. Yes its size and portability is a big bonus but lets be honest here the P4P isn't exactly heavy and hard to carry around. The image quality in low light on the Mavic is just not there. Yes it's great on nice sunny days but thats it. If you want to be out filming at sunrise/sunset you will be disappointed with the noise levels in the footage. I've got both and the P4P wins hands down!

How do you return a drone you have used for a couple weeks? That is like returning a dish at a restaurant after you have eaten 90% of it.

It was a tough call for me too but ultimately the P4P had too many features that I wanted... much better camera (I'm still startled by some of the imagery I see out of that little thing), 360-degree object avoidance, smart (backtrack) RTH, and last but not least the 5.8 GHz band capability. The Mavic is sexy but the only plus in its column was size. I know that can be a critical factor for some and quite understandably, but not big enough a factor for me to outweigh the other considerations. If the Mavic 2 has enough improvements that may be enough to sway me at some point in the future.
Ditto here. Also don't forget its faster too.

P4P is all packed up with all the extra batteries and accessories. It has been a real tough call. Love it in every way except size. So i am now jumping on the Mavic band wagon. It has been a tough couple of weeks making this decision. It had crossed my mind I would keep both, but I could see me using one or the other only and leave the other depreciating. I suppose if I miss it in a few weeks I can buy it back...
I have both, and the Mavic is the one I'd likely part with, at this point. Both are great products.

You are not making it any easier for me :) The P4P just like you, IMO wins in almost all categories except size. Most of my travels is via plane, and it just seems a Mavic would be more convenient. It was painful when I took it back to BB today. If I really miss it, I will bring it back home :)

Bear in mind that people are complaining about the Mavic not focusing correctly while wearing ND Filters.

Bud

Bear in mind that people are complaining about the Mavic not focusing correctly while wearing ND Filters.

Bud
Ugh! P4P has gone back as of this afternoon. I will work with the Mavic for now and see how it goes. As mentioned, I travel via plane mostly and it seems to be the best option. a P4P would make me have to change the way I pack considerably. The thought has crossed my mind that for road trips I would use the p4p and mavic for flights... these are interesting first world problems none the less :)

Reactions: Norval and KiwiBird
I tell people that ask me P4P or Mavic and for me it's one simple question, are you buying to fly for fun or buying for Photography. Most say Photography and I say P4P..it's an easy decision.

Reactions: jamescollins
I tell people that ask me P4P or Mavic and for me it's one simple question, are you buying to fly for fun or buying for Photography. Most say Photography and I say P4P..it's an easy decision.

Can I have my cake and eat it too? :) Photography and fun.

I just returned my mavic jumping on the p4p bandwagon the video quality just wasn't there. Especially when footage from my p4 was allot better. Yes I will defiantly miss that small take any where drone.

Reactions: KingDad1985
I sold my Mavic after I bought my P4P. I found myself using it less and less and like you said I was watching it depreciate in value even though I managed to sell it for 1400. It was in excellent condition with just under 9 hours flight time on it. I do find myself missing it at times but it slowly fades away when I fly my P4P which is amazing to me! Both are amazing in their own right. I might pick one up down the road. Everybody is different with different lives. It's best to pick what suits you best and enjoy it and that's exactly what you're doing. Nice call bud :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AwesoM

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl