Top Speed

Reaction score
I've seen videos where the phantom had a constant 55 mph speed which is ridiculously fast . What is the top speed of the phantom and how much battery do you think it would last at that speed throughout?

andersonpaac said:
I've seen videos where the phantom had a constant 55 mph speed which is ridiculously fast . What is the top speed of the phantom and how much battery do you think it would last at that speed throughout?

Depends on how strong the tailwind is blowing! ;) In ATTI mode you can achieve much higher speeds, just keep an eye on the altimeter as she bleeds altitude when you are running full out. I believe the Phantom is rated at 33-35 mph, but a 20 mph tail wind will kick that up quite a bit. As to how long will the battery last at full throttle I am uncertain?

Dirty Bird said:
andersonpaac said:

Depends on how strong the tailwind is blowing! ;) In ATTI mode you can achieve much higher speeds, just keep an eye on the altimeter as she bleeds altitude when you are running full out. I believe the Phantom is rated at 33-35 mph, but a 20 mph tail wind will kick that up quite a bit. As to how long will the battery last at full throttle I am uncertain?
Thanks dirty bird, I am gonna do some tests at 35mph. I need the information for ground station.

andersonpaac said:

I think it would be unwise to run at top speed for an entire battery. You risk frying your ESCs and probably your motors which would make for a great catastrophe story but one you wouldn't be happy to tell. Just my $0.02

I have flown at 23m/s with a reasonable strong tail wind. The radar gun my mate was using measured it at 83.9km/h but we could only get one reading from it as it was very hard to get spot on with the radar. I don't know the miles conversion sorry.

BlackTracer said:
andersonpaac said:

I think it would be unwise to run at top speed for an entire battery. You risk frying your ESCs and probably your motors which would make for a great catastrophe story but one you wouldn't be happy to tell. Just my $0.02
Thank you so much, I'll not be flying at top speed in that case. How does 25 mph constant speed sound?

BlackTracer said:
andersonpaac said:

Where do see this about ESC damage from continuous full speed operation?
If the ESC, motor, and prop (mechanical load) are properly matched (by DJI) there should be no problem.

That has been my experience with fixed wing conventional and ducted fan applications... full throttle 90+% of flight.

I find that max speed in GPS mode is around 35mph... In the same flight if I switch to ATTI mode 45-50mph is totally repeatable.

SeeUAV said:
I have flown at 23m/s with a reasonable strong tail wind. The radar gun my mate was using measured it at 83.9km/h but we could only get one reading from it as it was very hard to get spot on with the radar. I don't know the miles conversion sorry.

52mph on both counts roughly.

:D :D :D

happydays said:
SeeUAV said:

52mph on both counts roughly.

:D :D :D

Wow , nice. Any idea on battery burn at that speed?

We had a steady wind of 27mph the other day. On my downwind leg flying in ATTI I had 72mph on the app. Wanted to take a screenshot, but was afraid to take my eyes off the phantom and concerned by the time I got it done it would be in the next county.

N017RW said:
BlackTracer said:
andersonpaac said:

Where do see this about ESC damage from continuous full speed operation?
If the ESC, motor, and prop (mechanical load) are properly matched (by DJI) there should be no problem.

That has been my experience with fixed wing conventional and ducted fan applications... full throttle 90+% of flight.

I read this somewhere and it made sense to me. I should have qualified my comment to say that. My mistake. I am no RC expert as this is my first RC experience. Go ahead and run yours full throttle for an entire battery and let us know the results. Just knowing that electronics and mechanical motors can heat up pretty good when loaded to their maximum makes sense to me. And heat can damage electronics.

BlackTracer said:
andersonpaac said:

I don't understand your logic here since I am under the impression that ESC's will heat up most when using the least amount of battery juice. This because the ESC is mostly a large resistor, so when going full throttle, you're not resisting anything, and hence no heat being generated...

Am I completely in error about this?

vyoufinder said:
Am I completely in error about this?

Yes you are mistaken about this. That's is how a car's blower motor works though....there is a resistor pack (usually with a big heatsink and sometimes mounted inside the ductwork for cooling) that restricts the current.

ESC's are an electronic variable-range switch. They draw low power when at idle, and progressively more current as the power ramps up. The Phantom's ESCs are small and I believe only rated at 10 amps. If you hold the throttle maxed out they will become progressively hotter as they draw more current. If you were to allow your Phantom to sit with the motors idling, it will run for a LONG time, because it is drawing little power. Larger RC vehicles can have ESCs ranging from 50 all the way up to 200 amps! That's a LOT of current, and they produce a lot of heat! :shock: The big ones usually have heatsinks and sometimes active cooling fans to help dissipate the heat produced when under heavy load.

So DB. What do you think about extended full throttle with our birds? Besides the obvious wear and tear, what is the potential for damage? I usually run it full throttle each part of my battery just for fun but only for short spurts. Like 200 to 300 foot spurts. 2:eek:r 3 times. Usually at the end of my batt. Love the sounds of those revving engines and props!

BlackTracer said:
So DB. What do you think about extended full throttle with our birds? Besides the obvious wear and tear, what is the potential for damage? I usually run it full throttle each part of my battery just for fun but only for short spurts. Like 200 to 300 foot spurts. 2:eek:r 3 times. Usually at the end of my batt. Love the sounds of those revving engines and props!

I don't think you're going to cause it any harm. No one is likely to run full-out constantly. A 10 amp ESC is pretty low power compared to others. Its nice because the load is distributed through the four motor/ESC combos. At max power with everything running you are probably pulling 24-45 amps.

Dirty Bird said:
BlackTracer said:

I don't think you're going to cause it any harm. No one is likely to run full-out constantly. A 10 amp ESC is pretty low power compared to others. Its nice because the load is distributed through the four motor/ESC combos. At max power with everything running you are probably pulling 24-45 amps.

I was asking because I'll be running it constantly (ground station)

skyhighdiver said:
andersonpaac said:

Here are my flytrex data proof

phantom vision 76.71 http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ret-20094/

phantom vision + 69.72 http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ret-32161/

That is an insane speed , attitude of course?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT