Too many jello reducing rubber grommets?

Reaction score
I've been tweaking my setup with the new Arris CM3000 3-axis gimbal. Along with the gimbal I purchased a leg extension kit which also serves as a mount for the gimbal. The leg kit has two heights, achieved by steel throwoffs, which add quite a bit of weight.

Since it added quite a bit of weight and my flight times dipped I rigged up the gimbal with an old jello mount and with decent results. That setup though has produced some bad shaking when gaining altitude and occasional jello during flight.

So yesterday I put the shorter leg extension version on the phantom (1). See photo.

I had some shaking on altitude gain and some definite jello during flight, especially in wind. I may try the taller platform today to see if getting the mount away from touching the bottom of the Phantom will improve it, but that adds weight.

I'm also wondering if perhaps having EIGHT of those rubber grommets makes too solid of a connection between the gimbal and the frame. Your thoughts? I may try taking 2-4 of them out and see. Also some of the grommets are hard and some are soft. 4 hard, 4 soft. Maybe I'll try all soft and all hard in 4's.

The good news is that I added a Mad Dog 2700mAh battery and got the times back up to 7ish from around 4 with the same setup.

I haven't ever balanced blades either. Perhaps I need to do that, but I'm waiting for some new ones to arrive.

Balancing props is a must of course. However with some setups even unbalanced props don't matter.

I also have the leg extension kit, but i didn't bother to install it, weight.

At first I tried the 4 blue balls from my goodluckbuy, they did well with that gimbal. But with the CM3000; vibes.

Then, 8 softballs that came with the CM3000. This works fine for slow maneuvering. Some heftier flying still show vibes, with cf vision props.

As soon i have my replacement motor, i will start to experiment again. Plastic vision props may make a difference for the faster flying.

Haven't seen jello yet at 60fps wide with the gopro, but the full bright sunlight test has still to come.

And if all fails, a ND8 filter is in the mail as well.

And maybe there is a magic combination of soft and hardballs.

I also ordered some Tarot balls to try out.

Four did not work at all. The bigger setup worked better with four soft and four hard.

I think it is going to come down to prop balancing. Picking up a balancer this afternoon.

Do you think the added weight of the filter would mess up the CM3000?

I read that someone with a cm2000 successfully used a 37mm ND filter, that's a gopro mount + screw in 37mm filter. I have a 25mm ND filter, but I can't get it mounted. Will fit my mobius with some tricks though.

Here parts of test flight 2 and 3 with the CM3000

Still a wobble and twitch here and there, no jello I can see. Clouded and later at night, not the best test for jello..

And not a level horizon all the time (aaargh). A 6 point calibration or something would do the magic on that, they say...

1400grams Phantom, 2 batteries on the side, 60 fps wide. Uploaded in 60fps, but youtube makes it 30 I guess.

This vid is not meant to "be something" just for pixel peeping.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F81-PsnWLmA[/youtube]

Nice video!

I've been trying to find the right "flavor" of balls as well, flying my CM3000 with my F450.
For slow-flying it always looks great,
but for faster flying I seem to get a bit of wobble sometimes.
-the source of which is not the gimbal, but something in my frame/motors, just can't nail it.
but the harder balls definitely seem stiff.

But as for the Phantom, it's such a small platform that I think just the prop wash hitting the gimbal/camera could be a concern.
Kind of curious to try converting my mount to a Tarot-style compression mount

Ton4 said:
Here parts of test flight 2 and 3 with the CM3000

Still a wobble and twitch here and there, no jello I can see. Clouded and later at night, not the best test for jello..

And not a level horizon all the time (aaargh). A 6 point calibration or something would do the magic on that, they say...

1400grams Phantom, 2 batteries on the side, 60 fps wide. Uploaded in 60fps, but youtube makes it 30 I guess.

This vid is not meant to "be something" just for pixel peeping.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F81-PsnWLmA[/youtube]

No ND filter, right?

Ton4 said:
Nope. But like I said, clouded. Sunshine test is yet to come.

Just because, I've got an ND filter on the way. Can't hurt to see if it improves the video. Seems funny to crank the GoPro up to 60fps, then put an ND filter on it to slow it down but maybe that's the trick to get that last bit of jello eradicated.

Even with a ND filter, it still remains 60fps, its just decreases shutter time, thus lowering the chance of jello and makes movement smoother because there is more blur.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
mediaguru said:
Seems funny to crank the GoPro up to 60fps, then put an ND filter on it to slow it down but maybe that's the trick to get that last bit of jello eradicated.

Frames per second and shutter speed are not the same thing.

Helpful link:

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/camer ... s-fps.html

Oh duh I knew that. My bad.

Now thinking a GoPro with manual mode would be cool...

I tried searching the forum for an answer, but no luck, so this thread was the closest:

I am looking for some rubber grommet/anti vibration dampers for my goodluckbuy gimbal- 1 tore, and I was hoping to experiment with various durometers of rubber- I also wanted to have some variety in my tool box for future tweaks on any similar gimbal.

Does anyone know where I can source them? I cannot find anyone selling just the grommets.

Jebus said:
Hiway... try searching 'gimbal rubber' on EBay.

Wow... thanks! I should have put the "gimbal" first in my search terms... I was getting nuthin.

No problem. I was just looking for them last night. Some dealers carry them too. You could also throw in 'vibration' to your keywords.

Jebus said:
No problem. I was just looking for them last night. Some dealers carry them too. You could also throw in 'vibration' to your keywords.

Maybe in the future- my first search brought up the blue ones that were on my goodluckbuy originally... and they have worked the best so far so they are ordered.

Super thanks... I'd put you on the xmas card list, but I don't send anybody cards... and I am a heathen :twisted:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl