Today is the P4 day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today should be the day that DJI releases the Tomato/P4
Or will it be postponed to april 1st? ;)

This information is from Quadcopter Guide:

The DJI Phantom 4 launches tomorrow (1.3.2016), let’s take a look at what we know so far and which features we can expect. To chronologically read about the leaks and our analysis of the Phantom 4 check out our main P4 page.
P4_front_Site-550x297.jpg

• Vision Detection Sensors will allow for Return-to-Home with Collision Avoidance.
  • Quick-Release propellers will allow for an even quicker and safer mounting of the propellers.
  • The Integrated Anti-Vibration Board allows for a more streamlined design reducing aerodynamic drag while in full directional flight. It will additionally make the Phantom 4 gimbal sturdier.
  • The gimbal holds the camera on both sides for greater stability.
  • Wide Landing Gear will increase the Phantom 4’s footprint to allow easier landing even in windy conditions. Additionally, the receiver antennas and compass are now fully enclosed in the Landing Gear.
    P4_Side_site-550x324.jpg
  • New motors will allow for more efficient propulsion. They feature slits across the base of the housing for improved cooling. The top of the motor will suck fresh air in and allow it to escape through these small exhaust openings.
  • The Mesh Vents are located on the bottom of the arms. Another view of them can be found here. Interestingly there are no vents on top of the shell.
  • Since there is no longer an external anti-vibration board & camera processing board, the microSD slot and micro-USB ports have been moved to the left side of the shell.
  • The LED’s that used to run along the arm are now in a circular pod directly under the motors.
  • The Landing Feet aren’t just limited to four little foam rectangles but run the entire length of the new Landing Gear.
Well, there you have it, the soon-to-be-released DJI Phantom 4. We hope you have enjoyed our analysis, and invite you to join the Phantom 4 Facebook Group.

I can't say that I see anything which would make me trade in my p3as. Collision avoidance? If it was flying fast, it wouldn't be able to avoid things like thin branches, wires, etc, and that is only if it is flying forwards. Why not just make the RTH something reasonable, like 50m? It also appears that this might be yet another set of batteries to buy - they are apparently much bigger.

I agree Pete, if that's the sum of what is on offer I'm sticking with my p3p. Unless there was substantial increase in battery life, and it would have to be substantial, there's not a lot there to interest me. I just forked out a few hundred on extra batteries.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The P4's FCC ID: SS3-WM3301512 was filed by DJI on February 26, 2016, just in time.
https://fccid.io/SS3-WM3301512
When the FCC site comes back up (it's down now), we'll know the video power output from the P4 to compare it to that of the P3P, to see if the video range has been further crippled, as on the W323A and W323B, or restored to that of the original W323, or, hope springs eternal, even increased!

Last edited:
Not that I was interested in a P4 to begin with. But I don't see $700-$800 USD more technology (If the "rumor" price of 1799.99 USD comes to pass) than the P3P. Or another way to put it, I don't see anything that would be reasonably available that would make me buy one.

Even with Collision Avoidance, as this is the first iteration of it, its probably very limited in what it can "see" and avoid.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Any idea if this is going to be live streamed, and if so what time, and where?
I'm just gonna hit dji.com in 2.5 hours (as of the time of this posting). Not sure if they are having an event or just updating the website with whatever it is they are announcing. I get the feeling they are just going to put up the product on the site.

678b33d31f9d98d74e4bad43e7b1e36c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: penguin90
either clever viral marketing or that fella is not the sharpest tool showing him fizzog in the photo lol

i like it looks shiny and sleek

lets see what the specs are in a couple of hours eh?

Is there a way we can stream the event live on the internet?!

What time is the event?

Guess you could view the live event from dji.com at least that`s what I am hoping for.

wow, 28 min, now we are talking. Wonder about the range you can get with everything stock.
45 MPH (72,4 KM/H) makes a car chase really possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl