Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

Where do you find under the FAA rule that flying over private property is legal? Unless it is your own property...

Conversely, where do you find under the FAA rules that flying over private property is blanket illegal? The FAA's concern is for airspace safety, not property owner rights.

Certainly there are situations where it could be considered illegal, but that would generally be applicable in the context of other areas of law. The FAA is not a police force.

Where do you find under the FAA rule that flying over private property is legal? Unless it is your own property...

lol If it wasn't legal then aircraft would have real problems trying to fly into an airport. Ever flown into LA NY SA or any major city. Show me how these aircraft can land without flying over someones property.

It's not up to the FAA (or any other entity) to tell you what IS legal... unless it's deemed NOT legal it is legal.

The FAA and ONLY the FAA control airspace and that pretty much starts the moment the aircraft leaves terra firma and continues indefinitely. As a property owner, the only part of the air you have any soft of say-so over is that which is reasonable for you to use. Of course a lot of this is heavy speculation until someone goes to court and follows this far enough to set Case Law over it.

It's not up to the FAA (or any other entity) to tell you what IS legal... unless it's deemed NOT legal it is legal.

The FAA and ONLY the FAA control airspace and that pretty much starts the moment the aircraft leaves terra firma and continues indefinitely. As a property owner, the only part of the air you have any soft of say-so over is that which is reasonable for you to use. Of course a lot of this is heavy speculation until someone goes to court and follows this far enough to set Case Law over it.

Seems like it. Grayish for sure. Good read on it here: Drone Wars: Who Owns The Air?

Yeah that's not how regulations work. Otherwise they would be called permissions.

Where do you find under FAA rules that flying over private property is illegal? The burden is on you.

Conversely, where do you find under the FAA rules that flying over private property is blanket illegal? The FAA's concern is for airspace safety, not property owner rights.

Certainly there are situations where it could be considered illegal, but that would generally be applicable in the context of other areas of law. The FAA is not a police force.
Understood... More clear now of the rule... Now, how about flying in an urban area, if I fly high enough, can be considered legal?

Where do you see these rules?
14916411061361272120759.jpg
this is basic new Zealand laws ...

Understood... More clear now of the rule... Now, how about flying in an urban area, if I fly high enough, can be considered legal?

As long as you are in the air, you can fly over ANY property, unless it is specifically prohibited by statute or regulated by the FAA. There is no height limit.

Sad but true! I had a great experience the other day flying my P4 in the RV Park we were in. Of course I asked permission from the managers and they said, NOT A PROBLEM! And I told them, I wouldn't be flying over RV's or people.

Proceeded to fly a couple of times and it was amazing the number of people (friendly) that came up to ask me about the Phantom. One guy flew a P3P and loves them. A couple of other people wanted to know if it had a Camera and I explained yes, but you cannot zoon in or spy on people with it! To put that rumor to rest!

All in all it was a great time and all the people were very friendly.

Not everyone is an IDIOT, like the guy above. The guy described above was probably nothing but trash and couldn't afford to buy one anyway and was just jealous, spouting off all his expert (not) knowledge! It does tend to ruin the moment!

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

I hear ya, kinda crazed guy it sounds like. But hey, if you are flying at night you ARE not following FAA rules. Just saying.

I live in Illinois, but spend winters in Florida. I purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced while in FL and when I called Florida Parks and asked if I could fly my "radio controlled aircraft" in State Parks, she said she would have to ask...."But she knew drones are not allowed". I explained a drone was a radio controlled aircraft. She was very rude and said; "Well, you can't fly a drone in our parks".
I am a Commercial Pilot and former Navy Pilot, so I know a little about flying regulations. According to the Sectional Chart where I wanted to fly, and calling TRACON to ask permission to fly at 100 ft and below in uncontrolled airspace, (surface up to 1,450'), I was told I couldn't fly there!!!! I asked why and was told; "You just can't fly a drone there".
I think the underlying reason so many are ignorant about where drones fly is because so many drone pilots ignore the rules and do stupid things. Those stupid things are what people hear about and now we are classified as "perverts", "spies", and just "up to no good" people.
When I read about drones going up to 10,500 feet, flying out 3 miles or more away, and seeing a drone hit and destroy the winglet of a commercial aircraft on final approach; we will continue to be chastised. Until drone pilots fly by the rules, then maybe we deserve to be hassled?

Reactions: davidnjill
As a active pilot I agree to an extent. I often approach operators flying drones( you are not a pilot flying a drone sorry that's just the truth) who don't know a god **** thing about the airspace they are flying in or what's around them. Honestly a pilot who was flying at almost 2000ft was almost punched in the mouth for saying "I got an eye out for aircraft" if pretty much say if one sees someone operating in that manner one should just pop them in the mouth. Some of drone operators really need that. But for the most part I fine most know and care where they are flying and the FAR's that regulate them'

After saying you are a registered pilot, I would have hesitated to give out your name. At that point, I would have asked him to call the police and, if he did not do so, you would.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart