Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

It can be quite upsetting to have a hostile person come up to you while enjoying yourself. Unfortunately, I think it's simply the price we have to pay. I think the best that we can do is work out in our minds the best way to handle the situation before it happens. I'd also be very nice and brief with he person. In some cases going into detail can make the matter worse. In the end, if the person is still upset I'd probably recommend to them that their best recourse is to call the police so that things can be worked out appropriately.

Just tell them it is dangerous to talk while flying and hand him your card which he can give to the police if he feels necessary.

Reactions: AyeYo
You should have backed up 2-3 steps, changed levels and shot a power double leg then transitioned to a knee on belly and shouted.. "stop!, I don't want to fight you!"

What is it with showing people personal identification with name/address on it to some schmuck? Showing footage or allowing someone to get close enough to see your phone/tablet?

I've had interested people ask questions - sometimes too many - but anyone coming at me angry/hostile will hear the same thing - stay away from me, I'm not showing you anything, call the police if you want....

To engage in discussion with willfully stupid/angry/hostile people is a waste of time. As PIC you are responsible for your AC. Beyond that - let either bona fide Law Enforcement or FAA officials worry about it.

Fly safe & happy!!! [emoji106]

I have the local Sheriff Department number saved on my phone so if someone threatens to call the cops on me, I can say "I have the number...if you don't call them, I will." I've never had an opportunity to do it though. I've been flying all over my rural neighborhood and no one has ever complained.

Luckily I've only had people interested in the drone and what it can do in my 6 hours of flight time. I would've lost my [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] on that guy, you gave him way more info than i would have.

I was thinking the same thing. As a general rule, I'll respond twice. My third response is GTFO or mind your business.

Question? I was under the understanding that if you fly over 67ft,you could fly over private property. Did I misunderstand this? Thanks for all answers. Just received my drone.

Question? I was under the understanding that if you fly over 67ft,you could fly over private property. Did I misunderstand this? Thanks for all answers. Just received my drone.

There is no law about height about private property that I am aware of for the USA. However I normally keep 50m 150 feet plus or so above.

Firstly I am not interested in peoples rooftops. However where I live I am the only person with a drone so I actually get asked could I take some photo's or video's for people in my community. And yes we are a community where everyone talks to each other. I have a border of my property the community wants to change the fence to a nice stone wall. Community leaders asked me if I don't mind if they replace my fence on one side of my property. I said sure and also can I make a contribution.

Reactions: Alba52
If I ever have to overfly any (relatively distant) neighbors airspace/property, I would keep the bird at sufficient altitude that little noise is heard on the ground, and well out of Shotgun range...

Reactions: 805hd
I have 2 neighbors that made snide remarks when they learned I bought a uav. I have always respected others and their privacy when flying. Now one of them asked me if I would scout a location and look for a lost tool. The other has requested some photography. Happy to oblige both!

Just start streaming all of your flights on FB to your friends. People change their attitude when they realize that what they say is being broadcast to a remote server that they can't snatch from your hand.

You need this.

47857874a9baf109a3742d9d19e9fd5c.jpg

Reactions: K9VXV
I need to get myself one of those hi-vis vests and a sign mentioned before. I haven't had any issues being confronted so far, even while conducting work in neighborhoods. I try to dress professionally and generally just act like I'm supposed to be there doing exactly what I'm doing (because I am!).

I live in a condo complex and like to fly from my patio around town. One day a neighbor ran over to my unit saying I can't be flying over houses (Which surround mine). I told him I'm in compliance with FAA rules (Which govern this) and am not being dangerous or spying on anyone. I usually keep the flight path over driveways and streets for departure and approaches.
Let me start by saying I completely sympathize with where you want to fly, and think the current FAA rules are too restrictive.

That said, you are wrong that it is within rules/guidelines to fly over houses in an urban neighborhood. This is clearly prohibited in the rules. As is flying over streets with cars driving on them (don't know if you take care to only fly over streets that have only parked cars).

Also, you are required to stay a minimum of 400' away from people, unless you have given prior notice of operations and the people that will be impacted have given their consent to be within 400' of the flying sUAV.

There are other rules/guidelines you are not following.

However, the ultimate point here is what the actual consequence of violating these rules "on the edges" so to speak. So long as you're careful to fly a course that, should you have a catastrophic mechanical failure, the risk of injury to a bystander or damage to private property is non-existent, you're probably not going to get in any more trouble than a citation and a small fine -- at the worst. Police departments do not have the resources to bother harassing drone pilots over technical violations any more than they do people driving cars.

Fly stupid -- filming a 4th of July parade, flying over people, vehicles, etc. -- there's a real risk of winding up in jail, even if nothing goes wrong.

The best way to minimize risk of getting on the wrong side of the law is to always be thinking about your aircraft having a sudden catastrophic failure and dropping out of the sky like a rock -- what's down below you, and what might happen. If the answer is only "destruction of drone", you're probably okay. If the answer includes damaging anyone's property, you're taking quite a risk. If it includes possibly injuring someone, you're a complete idiot.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
I have the local Sheriff Department number saved on my phone so if someone threatens to call the cops on me, I can say "I have the number...if you don't call them, I will." I've never had an opportunity to do it though. I've been flying all over my rural neighborhood and no one has ever complained.
In addition to being civil and polite, this is, IMO, the best way to handle it. If they won't leave you alone, tell them the following:

"You are verbally assaulting me. Based on your behavior, I am feeling threatened and that my safety is in jeopardy. Please either call the police and wait patiently for them, or go away. If you persist in harassing and assaulting me, I will call the police."​

Pull your cell phone out, and see what they do next. If they continue their aggressive behavior AT ALL, call the cops. Harassing and assaulting someone is no triviality.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
That said, you are wrong that it is within rules/guidelines to fly over houses in an urban neighborhood. This is clearly prohibited in the rules

Also, you are required to stay a minimum of 400' away from people, unless you have given prior notice of operations and the people that will be impacted have given their consent to be within 400' of the flying sUAV.

Where do you see these rules?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT