Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Tips & Tricks for Smooth Panning Shots

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Octoruss, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Octoruss

Hello friends,

I had a recent frustrating experience filming a wide, 180-degree pan shot from about 110'. The bird was stable and I was trying to make a very slow panoramic pan from right to left, but had difficulty maintaining a consistent pan speed. Sometimes it would speed up, I'd over correct and it would slow down or even stop. The resulting video looks slightly jerky.

I thought that programming in waypoints would solve my problem, but that doesn't work with yaw only.

Any suggestions for creating a smooth pan, other than having very precise fingers?

2. FantomFlier

Use a third party app and let it do the work, while you fly the quad.

grottoli likes this.
  3. rockydog

Slow your yaw speed in the app..MC Settings/Advanced Settings/EXP and then bring the rudder speed down. Try different values to see what suits your needs.
    You need everything connected when you do it.

4. JickMagger

I believe I have edited my rudder speed all the way to minimum but it's still difficult for me to do smooth yaws.

5. 4wd

4wd

All I do is rest my hand on the controller and maintain a steady pressure against the stick rather than properly holding it.
    You can do combined actions like this and keep it all very steady.

6. yakangler10

I lowered my Yaw Endpoint to around 100 from 150 in the Go App, go to expo settings
    seemed to help me with slower pans

7. Jred

Try using the Autopilot App. These types of shots are much easier.

8. OnnoJ

I find that by (mis-)using POI in Go allows you to create nice and smooth panning shots. By varying radius and speed you can really control the shot.

doomclam likes this.
  9. 4wd

4wd

Yes the constant radius and smoothness looks good, but it's quite a faff about to hover over the subject and set it up - using valuable flight time, and you don't always want to hover over a 'sensitive' subject.
    The same shot can be achieved manually with practice by steady pressure of both sticks inwards or both outwards.
    You often only need part of an arc, and going all the way round at any distance takes much longer than you'd think unless done too fast!

monkeychops likes this.
  10. PVFlyer

FPV Camera has a video panorama mode in Mission Planner.

Mode: Video x1, x3, x10 represent number of revolutions shooting panorama video as below.
    • Video x1, x3, x10: Aircraft yaws 1, 3 or 10 revolutions. It will start video recording automatically upon mission start. You can abort the mission at any time by "Stop" button.
    • CW/CCW: Aircraft yaws clockwise (CW) or counter-clockwise (CCW), and is only effective in video mode.
    • Speed: Aircraft yaws at given speed from scale of 2 to 10, and is only effective in video mode. You may adjust the yawing speed before or during the mission.
    [​IMG]

#10 PVFlyer, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  11. kld53

I've been looking for an automated, or programmed way of setting a pan speed as well. Do you know if Litchi App has something similar? This would be a great feature.

12. Flipsonic

I've asked about this on a separate post but so far no reply. I haven't found this on Litchi. But maybe I missed something.