Tip over landing - now one prop slow :/ help

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Phantom 2+ tipped over during a landing today. There was a little too much horizontal momentum when coming down, touched the ground and bounced a little, before then tipping where two props made full contact with the ground. I powered down as soon as I could, but one prop isn't right now. It' spins slower and almost erratically compared to the other 3. What should I do?

Thanks

I'm sure someone will have some sound advice for you.... but I just want to tell you not to worry too much. Worst case, a new motor is only about $30. You've changed the prop already?

I have not changed the prop bc the issue seems to be the motor. Even without props on, I can see that the one motor spins slower than the other 3. I can visualize the metal components on the "messed up" one much much better as they spin, insinuating a noticeably slower rotating speed :/

Had same ..... one and only crash left some give/travel/movement in one motor .... made me a little paranoid that might bring copter down from "great" heights so just purchased full set of 4 motors and swapped out the dodgy one ... leaving me spares.

yeah motor replacement would be last solution. The deal who sold me the unit recommends investigating the motor for dirt/rocks in there. Where I tipped was pretty dusty / rocky so I hope hope hope its a simple fix :/ Anyone else had a tipover experience which then created issues with one or more props? Thanks so far for replies. Cheers!

The motors are pretty easy to open up and check or clean out dust.
There's a c clip on the bottom of the shaft and a brass spacer under that. Pop off the clip and be careful not to lose the spacer.
The rotor just lifts off after that but it feels like there's resistance which is just the magnets.
Then good luck getting the c clip back on.

Slow rotation sounds like a problem with the ESC or the windings on the motor.

I also tipped mine over and a motor quit spinning as well. I did fly it for quite a while but it is now at the hobby shop getting fixed as it started flying weird.

So far I had 3 tip-overs with concrete with no motor problems that I'm aware of. I CSC within 3 seconds and ended up with scratched up propellers and that's about it. I did notice that some of the copper coil went unorganized but so far my Phantom hasn't dropped out on me yet! Not sure if the copper thing is related though and am not sure if it was like before my tip over.

before unsoldering the motor, pull it apart and put it back together.
I recall someone here had a missing or dislodged screw in motor. He only realised that after replacing the motor.

If you want get laid and save a few props, click below.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21547&p=197309&hilit=catch+land#p197309

After being in the r/c hobby for many years I can tell you from experience what you think is a motor problem is usually an ESC problem. I just last week had a slow prop on startup, which may have been the culprit causing a prior crash, and replacing the ESC fixed it.

I'd say it isn't a bad idea having a spare ESC and spare motor on hand. It's only slightly harder to replace the ESC than replacing a motor, so I would try the new ESC first when you see a slow motor.

dannytroy said:
After being in the r/c hobby for many years I can tell you from experience what you think is a motor problem is usually an ESC problem. I just last week had a slow prop on startup, which may have been the culprit causing a prior crash, and replacing the ESC fixed it.
+1
Very little could go wrong with the motor but If it was seized for a few seconds the esc may have overheated.

FWIW, you can ohm test the motor's stator coils once you de-solder at least two wires from the ESC.
They should all read very similar resistance values compared to each other.

I agree it is most likely an ESC issue if there is no physical damage to the motor.

Just a heads up to anyone replacing an ESC. You will get 4 different beeps after the installation. Apparently this means that the ESC is waiting for the low cutoff to be set. AFAIK there is no way to set the low cutoff, so you will have to live with the new beeps. So far, no change in flying it, but I haven't tested it extensively.

Anyone know if you can buy an ESC that has already been programmed for the Vision+????

GMANNZ said:
just purchased full set of 4 motors and swapped out the dodgy one

any advice, tips, suggestions when changing a motor? things to watch out for? i plan to replace four motors tomorrow and i don't want to screw things up.
cheers
dave

voodoo said:
Hi all,

My Phantom 2+ tipped over during a landing today. There was a little too much horizontal momentum when coming down, touched the ground and bounced a little, before then tipping where two props made full contact with the ground. I powered down as soon as I could, but one prop isn't right now. It' spins slower and almost erratically compared to the other 3. What should I do?

Thanks

same happen to me was the ESC , but it could also be motor.
i suggest buying both at same time .. they are cheap

cruz_ctrl said:
GMANNZ said:
just purchased full set of 4 motors and swapped out the dodgy one

any advice, tips, suggestions when changing a motor? things to watch out for? i plan to replace four motors tomorrow and i don't want to screw things up.
cheers
dave
It might be easier to cut the existing wire and solder wire to wire, instead of soldering onto the ESC itself. Less chance for error doing it that way. Of course, have some heat shrink tubing on hand.

Update:

I have done a full motor inspection and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. No rocks or dirt or anything which may cause problems. I put the motor back together and it still stutters upon start, and spins much slower than the other 3. Remember, I had a tip over landing last week which is the cause of this. I am still troubleshooting.

What else can I test before buying replacement parts?

Thanks so much all!!!!

Do you own or have access to an DMM or Ohm meter?

Measuring similar resistance on all 3 coils is a good indication the motor is OK.

ESCs are not really 'test-able' other than swapping with spares for comparison.

DMM - digital multi meter?

I do not have an ohm meter but i could pick one up to test. i guess i'd have to get a solder gun too, in order to put it all back together lol

are these the last steps?

Scenario 1: if the ohm meter reads different things for different cords - replace motor. If stuttering still happens with new motor, replace ESC too.

Scenario 2: if ohm meter reads okay with original motor, just replace ESC?

i basically have to take it to the dealer anyway, this is where i would pickup the replacement motor and or ESC.

Thanks all

:/ im sad i cannot fix @ home alone, but whatever. I should have been more careful in the first place.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl