Tiny Allen Wrench to Remove Motor

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got in some prop guards and thinking would be an easy install now finding out the little screws holding motors are allen wrench types (thought they were phillips) So now where the heck do I find allen wrench this small, and anyone know the exact size needed? Thanks

Milezone

All the hex screws on the Vision are 2.0mm. Search for a 2.0mm allen wrench or a hex driver.

Personally I prefer a hex driver, especially for the screws near the landing legs, as you can use it like a regular screwdriver without the 90 degree bend on the allen wrench getting in the way.

I use this one, which has different size heads built in, you'll need that smaller size in there too if you ever want to open the range extender: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... UTF8&psc=1

milezone said:
Hi All,

Just got in some prop guards and thinking would be an easy install now finding out the little screws holding motors are allen wrench types (thought they were phillips) So now where the heck do I find allen wrench this small, and anyone know the exact size needed? Thanks

Milezone

I'm in the same boat! Just got my prop guards as well. Also, I received in the package a goodly length of kite string. I guess this is the Phantom version of "training wheels"??? Or, is it to be used to give my hamster a ride? :cool: :lol:

Pull_Up said:
All the hex screws on the Vision are 2.0mm. Search for a 2.0mm allen wrench or a hex driver.

Personally I prefer a hex driver, especially for the screws near the landing legs, as you can use it like a regular screwdriver without the 90 degree bend on the allen wrench getting in the way.

I use this one, which has different size heads built in, you'll need a smaller size again if you ever want to open the range extender: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the info, Pull_Up!

Thanks for the tip and link. I am from USA, so could not get that kit. Try to find that for USA shipping with no luck. But it is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Milezone

Pull_Up said:

I use this one, which has different size heads built in, you'll need that smaller size in there too if you ever want to open the range extender: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... UTF8&psc=1

allen wrenches will get you by in a pinch, but if you're hooked on this hobby, get a good 2mm hex driver (I have a Wiha).
a necessity for Phantom owners.

I've had my P2V for about 3 weeks and, since practice flying around the house presents a number of hard obstacles, thought prop guards might be a good idea. My set of metric allen wrenches included the right size for the motor screws that needed to come out and I went merrily about the business of removing the screws, affixing the guards, and installing the provided, longer screws ... until the 8th and final screw removal. Apparently that last screw had been over torqued (or was defective) because the hex hole was rounded out. If that had been the first screw I attacked, I might have conceded that I screwed up (no pun intended), but it was the EIGHTH ! I tried everything I could think of to get a grip so I could get it out. Eventually I resorted to drilling it out just enough so a small screw extractor I had could get a bite, and back it out.

So the lesson is, DO NOT over tighten those screws when you put them back in (they've got thread lock on them, and you're screwing metal into metal, compressing plastic - they shouldn't need to be gorilla torqued).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl