Time to process waiver/airspace authorizatio

Reaction score
I have submitted an authorization request to FAA last Tuesday. I have not got any acknowledgment nor any communication related to my on-line request. Is that how the process work? I will just get the approval if appropriate. I noticed they have not approved anything since September 2nd, do you know if there is an issue with this process? Attached is what I see as of September 19.

upload_2016-9-19_9-59-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-19_9-55-46.png
    upload_2016-9-19_9-55-46.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 517
I think that all the waivers you see approved there were previously approved under a 333 exemption. The new Part 107 Waiver system does not go into effect till October 3rd even though the online application is live.

well...I looked back again..these are part 107 exceptions
View attachment 65128

I see that but if you open up the first approval on the page and scroll down you will see a reference to a 333 petition # FAA-2016-7643. This particular person applied for the waiver under a 333 exemption. All pending 333 waivers were to be looked at before any of the new 107 waivers were to be looked at. Others in the 107 approved list also refer back to a 333 exemption.

Airspace Authorization Approvals will start on Oct 3rd (limited ones) and they will roll out more over the next several weeks after that.

And don't confuse waivers with airspace authorizations. They are different things and most likely with different processing times. As Big Al said, airspace authorizations aren't scheduled to begin until early October.

Thanks for the clarification. Do we need to resubmit our cases? I already submitted mine with the online system at FAA system.

If you wanted an authorization, but submitted it as a waiver then yes, I'd resubmit. If it was an authorization, then it's an issue of date. Any authorization request for something prior to October 3 will likely not go through. So, plan your requested date to fall after they have started processing. Does that help?

Reactions: BigAl07 and SanCap
We offer free training for filing out the FAA Airspace Authorization form. Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) .

We feel every pilot needs to know how to use the waiver/authorization website as part of their core drone business. As waivers start to be granted (we think many will be identical similar to the 333 exemptions), we will offer free training on those as well.

https://www.dronelaw.pro/box/clkn/http/www.dronelaw.pro/part-107-waivers/

If you are a Part 107 pilot, you need to be able to use the FAA waiver website. If you have a complex waiver request, then hiring an attorney to assist is always an option. We offer that service but ALWAYS encourage pilots to submit airspace authorizations 'in bulk' for controlled airspace for their primary markets.

Fly Safe!

Last edited:
We offer that service but ALWAYS encourage pilots to submit airspace authorizations 'in bulk' for restricted airspace for their primary markets.

Restricted airspace is not handled via the Airspace Authorization function. Authorizations are only for Class B, C, D, and Class E/surface Part 107 operations.

Gold Seal: Class B, C, D, and Class E/surface is restricted airspace. And you can obtain authorization through the FAA waiver web page. Not sure what you are saying here? Let me know the distinction you are making.

Hi, Enrico. Class B, C, D, and Class E are not Restricted Airspaces unless you're simply using that term in a generic, non-standard way. Restricted Areas are specific types of Special Use Airspace that have nothing to do with the lettered airspace classes. They are different and distinct.

Reactions: Falcon900
Right, Class B, C, D, E airspace is 'controlled' airspace.

Reactions: Falcon900
Gold Seal and Richard: You are correct. Long week of travel last week. Brain not fully functional yet :)

Anyone here successful in obtaining an airspace authorization? Wasn't October 3rd the date that the FAA was going to start processing them?

Start processing is the key term here. They are processing them and I've seen one that was approved (not mine yet) and I've talked to several people who has gotten "request for more information" about their pending Airspace Authorization.

Start processing is the key term here. They are processing them and I've seen one that was approved (not mine yet) and I've talked to several people who has gotten "request for more information" about their pending Airspace Authorization.

I can confirm that they've started. I just received an email regarding one of my requests. Unfortunately, the date I requested was for a shoot that I wanted to do weeks ago...

"The FAA is making every effort to process airspace authorization requests as quickly as possible. Air Traffic Control facilities are currently identifying those areas where authorizations can be approved without adversely impacting the safety of manned flight, developing and implementing local procedures to support Part 107 operations, and training the Air Traffic Control workforce. As a result, Air Traffic facilities and UAS operators are approving authorizations according to the schedule below:

Class D & E Surface Area October 3, 2016
Class C October 31, 2016
Class B December 5, 2016

Unfortunately, the airspace authorization request you submitted has a start date prior to the dates listed above. Therefore we will not be able to process your request in time to support your planned operation. If you still require an airspace authorization, please resubmit your request with a start date after the dates listed above."

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl