Tilt Shift video test

Chrisono,

I love the concept of tilt shift in video. Motion is new to me still but graphic clients ask for it all the time. What are you editing with? I think you pulled the effect off nicely.

just do a blur layer and matt the centre out, saturate the colour and then add a slight desaturation layer matte. old school. tiltshift video is so over done on television.

afterfx, quick and dirty.

4wd said:
CarlJ said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleQ9O3kaPk

I use Magic Bullet Looks, it's mostly a lot of blurring.

Been playing with that - very good software.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeVgEwZ_IeU[/youtube]

It is, I also like colorista, mojo, & FilmConvert. Great job on the video btw.

Tilt Shift - Did this fly over of a local round-a-bout - baited friends to watch in on Facebook by telling them that I loved the round-a-bout so much that I had made a scale model of it in my garage, and that this was a quick video of that. Silly, yeah, but the music helped sell the joke. hehe.
Anyway, I think it looks pretty convincing. Over-saturating seemed to help a bit, and staying mostly stationary was also helpful.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0HqLB4-3k[/youtube]

Thanks! It was all done in Adobe Premiere CC, removed fisheye with DEFORM/LENS DISTORTION (Curvature around -29). Magic Bullet Looks Tilt Shift preset (tweaked to taste) - although it could be done using regular Premiere tools, with Gaussian blur and a matte.
I overly saturated it, which seemed to make it look more "plastic-y". The GoPro video was shot at 24fps 1440 and ProTune, this allowed me to pan down and remove the horizon and sky (which was ruining the effect). I think that the music or SFX you use can help augment it, in this case it was done a bit for laughs, but in a standard video something light-hearted will help sell the effect.
I liked the idea of leaving it stationary for a bit, then slowly making a move just when the viewer might think it's a still image - the parallax movement shows that it's a real 3d subject being filmed.

poostik said:
Nice!

Software used? Technique?

lol our technique is drag and drop Magic Bullet Looks, it's just so much faster and does the same thing. I encourage you to learn the real technique, and I'm all about coping VFX techniques vs reinventing them. You'll catch a lot of crap for using a plugin, but you'll catch a lot of crap for using tilt shift at all.

If you're promoting yourself as professional then I can see the expectation that you produce original work, but coping these techniques is how you learn.

CarlJ said:
poostik said:
Nice!

Software used? Technique?

lol our technique is drag and drop Magic Bullet Looks, it's just so much faster and does the same thing. I encourage you to learn the real technique, and I'm all about coping VFX techniques vs reinventing them. You'll catch a lot of crap for using a plugin, but you'll catch a lot of crap for using tilt shift at all.

If you're promoting yourself as professional then I can see the expectation that you produce original work, but coping these techniques is how you learn.

I was actually asking the poster right before me (I should've quoted him). Anyway, yes, I saw your previous post with the link to youtube on 'how to fake tilt shift'. Just haven't had time to play yet. Looking at all the different techniques/plugins people use. I will likely try the how-to-fake, first - to get an idea of what's actually happening.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl