Thought my P4P was a goner

Reaction score
Almost had a stroke today. I was out flying over the woods and took her up to 400 feet. That is when I got the high wind warning. I turned her around tried to head home but it wouldn't move. I tried to go left and right which it did fine but still no forward movement. I tried to fly backwards and it moved without any problems. At this point I'm starting to panic, I switched it to Sport mode but I got the message that flight modes were deactivated. I've used them before so I know they work but not today. Panic increased and I tried again to make forward progress. Then I hear that all too familiar voice "maximum flight altitude" and it hit me. I had a major brain fart and got my controls crossed.
Instead of going forward I was trying to go up but it was already maxed out so it didn't move. When I tried to go backwards it was actually going down but with the camera tilted it looked as though it was going farther away. Once I figure that out I got her back home safe and sound. Nothing like a little adrenaline rush to get the heart pounding. LOL

Keep them flying straight but more importantly remember which hand is your left and right.

Attachments

• 69014.jpeg
    69014.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 475
Just a really quick flight over the woods this time. LOL After watching the video I can see where I had my problem. It was all of 30 seconds before forward progress resumed. It felt a lot longer then that.

Don't let wind warnings scare you, they are bogus, occurring at 13mph, and often 10mph.
I suggest you become more familiar with:
1. RADAR, this confirms direction and movement when in doubt.
2. RTH BUTTON. When disoriented this will bring the craft back, such as in sudden fog where VLOS is impaired.
3. TELEMETRY NUMBERS. This shows distance and AGL altitude, confirming the craft is responding to your commands.
4. SIMULATOR. Use this at home to developed better muscle memory for control sticks.

If you worry about wind, ascend to a level above any obstructions and flip it into ATTI mode. Give no stick input for 30 seconds an see how fast it drifts with the wind. That's a fairly accurate measurement of your wind speed. If you don't fly in winds greater than 25mph, you should be ok.

Last edited:
Don't let wind warnings scare you, they are bogus, occurring at 13mph, and often 10mph.
I suggest you become more familiar with:
1. RADAR, this confirms direction and movement when in doubt.
2. RTH BUTTON. When disoriented this will bring the craft back, such as in sudden fog where VLOS is impaired.
3. TELEMETRY NUMBERS. This shows distance and AGL altitude, confirming the craft is responding to your commands.
4. SIMULATOR. Use this at home to developed better muscle memory for control sticks.

If you worry about wind, ascend to a level above any obstructions and flip it into ATTI mode. Give no stick input for 30 seconds an see how fast it drifts with the wind. That's a fairly accurate measurement of your wind speed. If you don't fly in winds greater than 25mph, you should be ok.

I thought about the RTH after the fact. LOL I didn't realize that HIGH wind speed was so low that's good to know. Thanks.

I'm not sure if the simulator was included in the pilot app for the older craft. I never owned a vision plus. I suggest you ask this question in the vision plus section of this forum. Those owners may be able to help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe