This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I'm working on the video it some how got corrupt. but here is a picture from the video
View attachment 54973
Db it
Are the 2.4 antennas generally stronger because there are two of them, or is the 5.8 signal just weaker?

Seems like you learned a lot from using the Vision+ that carried over to the standard. Did the previous models like the Phantom 1 run 1 5.8 and two 2.4's as well?
The Phantom 2 vision & vision plus were the only two that used the 5.8 for the controller. I thought it was not to interfere with if you were u sing a GoPro. I'm not sure on that.

Db it

The Phantom 2 vision & vision plus were the only two that used the 5.8 for the controller. I thought it was not to interfere with if you were u sing a GoPro. I'm not sure on that.
So the 1 used 2.4ghz on the control?

My understanding is ...

The P1 and P2 didn't have a camera, so that makes it easy.

Somewhere in here, something called an FC40 came about, and it had a camera. It used 5.8 for control and 2.4 wifi for the camera, so that's why they went to two frequencies on that model.

The P2V had an integrated camera with FPV, and also used two frequencies - three if you include the freq between the mobile device and the range extender.

Then they invented Lightbridge and so went back to one frequency on the P3.

But the P3S doesn't use Lightbridge, so it mimics the earlier aircrafts in the sense that it uses two freqs.

Last edited:
Reactions: phxbird57
Are the 2.4 antennas generally stronger because there are two of them, or is the 5.8 signal just weaker?

Seems like you learned a lot from using the Vision+ that carried over to the standard. Did the previous models like the Phantom 1 run 1 5.8 and two 2.4's as well?
2.4 is just a stronger signal! The p2 w/ 2.4 for control (stock)could outrun a p2 battery. But the vision series w/ 5.8 control(stock) would be lucky to get 3000'

did all the updates, DJI app and firmware, decided to take it out for a run !! wasn't to bad 10380 feet lost video, my biggest problem is not pointing the panel in the right direction LOL, need to practice. good run though !

oh forgot to mention i lost video because the darn iPad app crashed !!

did all the updates, DJI app and firmware, decided to take it out for a run !! wasn't to bad 10380 feet lost video, my biggest problem is not pointing the panel in the right direction LOL, need to practice. good run though !
That was a great flight for a standard.

That was a great flight for a Standard. I tried posting earlier with my phone and I alway screw it up.
anyway great flight

Reactions: Tony B
anyone got any advice on how to point the panel at the bird... LOL i know sounds simple but when it comes back I'm way off haha the wind moves it and i don't follow correctly

anyone got any advice on how to point the panel at the bird... LOL i know sounds simple but when it comes back I'm way off haha the wind moves it and i don't follow correctly
I think dB's said his found that the best is point to the horizon or a little above it and fly that direction. Keeping it straight.
Now what you might want to do just for the long flights like this is try a lanyard or even a tripod . If the wind is blowing it that far off someelsething maybe a problem. With GPS lock you should be able to keep it in a straight line. And the farther out you are the windows gets larger. So is it a little more forgiving.

Last edited:
had a good flight this morning, this time i sat down and kept it pretty straight, got 11970, had good signal but lost video. seems to be the problem loosing video first. but hay its a S model and those are good numbers !!! total flight was like 27000 but that includes round trip and some burn the battery time when it came back LOL

Good flight Tony!
If you have a object in the distance (preferrably further away than your flying)
Like a watertower, big building, even a tree, etc. anything you can fly your camera towards and point your controller at!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
had a good flight this morning, this time i sat down and kept it pretty straight, got 11970, had good signal but lost video. seems to be the problem loosing video first. but hay its a S model and those are good numbers !!! total flight was like 27000 but that includes round trip and some burn the battery time when it came back LOL
Great flight Tony. That is excellent for a Standard.

Reactions: Tony B
Good flight Tony!
If you have a object in the distance (preferrably further away than your flying)
Like a watertower, big building, even a tree, etc. anything you can fly your camera towards and point your controller at!
Im pointing it at a group of trees, well right above the trees, the further out i go i will also climb in altitude. I really can't see over the trees to get a fixed landmark to point at maybe thats the problem..

I will do another run tomorrow if its not to windy, it was perfect this morning maybe take video of the flight lol

Reactions: dirtybum
IMG_0030.PNG
here is this mornings flight Pretty darn good again I really want to get to that street getting closer LOL

round there and back, plenty of battery left 36%

Did you still have strong signal?

signal to the bird yes for control, video was getting bad. There are also a lot of power lines by the trees and along the road next to where i was flying but thats pretty much the best route i got without going somewhere

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119