This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Dude you kick ***, your results back it up. I'll post some pics of my updated setup, should have it done tonight.

I can't wait for the 15 turn to get here, so you're at 18,600 with the 15 turn and FPVLR V2 so far? Hopefully it will work for me!
Upgraded my setup here, have two of the 3W 2.4ghz installed now 6800mAh battery and the blue wires as well. Heading out to test it out!

20160417_130223.jpg

20160417_130245.jpg

Last edited:
Hey DB will this work using the stock bird or do I have to have the birdside antennas on the P3S?? For that price i want to try it out and compare it to my DBS

Attachments

• 1460987981362.jpg
    1460987981362.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 303
Hey DB will this work using the stock bird or do I have to have the birdside antennas on the P3S?? For that price i want to try it out and compare it to my DBS
Honestly I've never tried it with the stock antennas on my P3S or P2 vision series. You got nothing to lose but to try. You're only messing with the remote at that point. And even though those long turn helical's work better with some type of mushroom on the other end it still going to do some numbers, you do know that that doesn't completely replace the DBS panel and you still have to use the 2.4 in the DBS panel for your Wi-Fi. And for the record I only have one fat shark Spyro net bird side I still have a factory control antenna on.

Honestly I've never tried it with the stock antennas on my P3S or P2 vision series. You got nothing to lose but to try. ...
True.

If I may cut in...

There's some member named RF Guy or something like that who posted a long OP about RF signals and antennas. Since you have linear polarity stock antennas on the bird, ideally you'd want linear polarity on the controller. So in the sense that the helical is directional, it's a good thing, but the fact is, you'll be missing half the signal according to RF Guy. Because, really, a helical sends a signal vertical half the time and horizontal half the time. So in theory the bird will never "hear" the horizontal half of the signal since its antennas are linear vertical polarized.

So to take full advantage of the helical on the control side, you'd want CP antennas on the bird.

The advantage of CP on the control side is that it's a one-way signal. The helical is a great directional transmitting antenna. Some have described it as a "death ray." But it's probably not so good to receive with. And that's why nobody is finding great success with the helicals on the FPV side - because that signal is a two-way signal. People seem to find better success with the panel (patch) antennas such as ITELITE on the FPV side. The panels are directional, but they also receive well.

Reactions: dirtybum
Yea I was going to leave the DBS for the 2.4ghz and order that one for the 5.8. That one will work tho???..does it matter if i get the right hand or left hand?

Since the ITELITE is linear, it doesn't really matter if you go RH or LH, but FPVLR has kind of established the RH as conventional for the 5.8. So if it was me, I'd get RH.

But as mentioned above, you ideally would have matching CP antennas on the bird.

Since the ITELITE is linear, it doesn't really matter if you go RH or LH, but FPVLR has kind of established the RH as conventional for the 5.8. So if it was me, I'd get RH.

But as mentioned above, you ideally would have matching CP antennas on the bird.
Cool thanks Marknmd!!..I am going to get the RH

Like Mark so brilliantly showed(He's so good w/ words) it would only make sense to go with RHCP because if you arent getting enough outta the stock antennas to quench your undying thirst for distance you will prob add CP birdside's and will find a lot more selection of right hand! But do just try the remote mod first and i'm so anxious to see some of your peoples pics of this controller mod because to now I'm the only one that I've seen that has done it like this, and would like to know what your numbers are before and after because that's exactly what this whole post is about and that's the kind of useful information that people of have gotten outta this post

DB & marknmd thank you for helping me and providing info and answering questions. Its nice to know that there are still people willing to help others out!!

I am going to try remote side stuff first...then when its not enough I will mod the bird. I just hand layed some carbon fiber to get ready for the big 5.8 antenna bracket. Now I just need to find one lol. Cant find anymore on ebay except for 5 & 7 turn ones. I'll probably just get one of those anyways to mess around with. Once I do get one tho I will for sure do a nice photo shoot and post pics! Thanks again guys for the great write ups and help. Cant wait to see what you do next DB!!!

DB & marknmd thank you for helping me and providing info and answering questions. Its nice to know that there are still people willing to help others out!!

Thanks again guys for the great write ups and help. Cant wait to see what you do next DB!!!
Oh you know, probably crash![emoji41]

Reactions: dirkclod
Lol i hope not!!!..if that happens whos going to test out all these crazy combinations!!...unless you have a fleet and can spare a loss lol

Hey it'll be there next month, dont change your diet over this hobby, and yes I will still be flying( ramens are delish though I think I'll go home for lunch and have some right now)

Hey it'll be there next month, dont change your diet over this hobby, and yes I will still be flying( ramens are delish though I think I'll go home for lunch and have some right now)
Lol I'm used to changing my diet for a hobby...race cars, street cars, current street/drift car, r/c cars/trucks/helicopters. Man I have so many different recipes for ramen noodles its scary...I rather have go fast parts or Phantom upgrades than a good nutritious meal

Reactions: dirtybum
****, had a chance to fly west today which is the same path I got the 40,000 feet with the standard. Only 3 to 4 mph headwinds! Got everything set up like normal ready see if I can get maybe 45,000. The standard was rapid flashing yellow lights with the app saying Control signal lost. I made sure the boosters was on, I tried rebinding controller to aircraft in the app, nothing! What the heck is going on now?my last flight testing those two controller set ups, I did have poor signals, there was no crash or anything. Nothing that would make me believe that there would be problems next time I flew. Ahhhhh!

**** that F'n sucks!!! Did you figure out whats wrong yet???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez