This Cold Weather ...

Reaction score
I got my P3S 3 weeks ago, and still have not flown it, thanks to this cold/icy/freezing weather we've been having here in the mid-west. There are two 'concerns' that come to mind, while operating in cold weather:

1. That the batteries do not last enough and the drone decides to experience 'g', full speed down
2. That the operator (me) cannot precisely control the joysticks ... cold fingers or else

So, what do you do when it's too cold outside?

1. You go outside and risk it anyway?
2. Stay home and read more about this hobby?
3. Scour the various forums in search of that essential accessory you need to get (Amazon Prime does NOT help)

Last edited:
Reactions: LeeL
My phantom stays grounded in cold/snow/rain. Toy grade time if you want to fly outside! Just me tho..fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Same boat, black Friday sale, haven't really taken t out to do a proper functional test. A few yard hovering flights only.

Cold is more about if I'm comfortable first. If you're not physically comfortable, then it isn't worth it.

You guys should live in AZ where we complain about the summer weather. I got my P4 at the end of June this year and our afternoons hit 115 to 120.

Reactions: RW-1
Or the Mexican cartel, or Illegals or some lunatic shooting up people on the freeways. Yeah Phoenix is not that safe, then again a lot of big cities aren't.

Yup, Chicago beat its own record this year (Number of homicides) ... but then again, I'm in Suburbia.

All this snow piled up ... would be nice to do a 'programmed' flight (waypoints), and repeat the same exact trajectory every few weeks ... just to see the effect of the seasons, or better yet, a night flight to capture all the christmas lights in the neighborhood.

Am afraid that, by the time the weather gets better ... my 'investment' will be obsolete and better birds will be out there.

Yeah we are expecting 5-8 inches of snow tomorrow, the snow from last weeks storm is still on my road... Winter sucks for work and play..

In western South Dakota we got 8 inches of snow last night it was 22 below, currently tonight it is 22 below Fahrenheit. Tomorrow it should warm up in the teens which will feel like a wave. If this weather pattern keeps up maybe spring before I get a chance fly my Christmas present.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

233841e043f58d14e8c148913bffbb57.jpg

Go fly. As long as the battery is warm. Just keep it close.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

In western South Dakota we got 8 inches of snow last night it was 22 below, currently tonight it is 22 below Fahrenheit. Tomorrow it should warm up in the teens which will feel like a wave. If this weather pattern keeps up maybe spring before I get a chance fly my Christmas present.

You flew in that lol. it was suppose to be -30 below last night here lol. Thinking about flying monday, its suppose to warm up to around 28 but with some wind, I may just fly with the windy conditions.

Living in the PNW, and flying almost everyday, I fly in all sorts of weather. Here's a clip of me in my snow gear flying a few days ago. You have to stay warm, otherwise the experience is not the best:)

Living in the PNW, and flying almost everyday, I fly in all sorts of weather. Here's a clip of me in my snow gear flying a few days ago. You have to stay warm, otherwise the experience is not the best:)

Yeah I have family that lives in oregon, a little bit and everyone is crashing, read the news and it said that there's been 5 crashes every hour since the snow hit lol. Here we just got another 8 inches on top of what we got last week that didn't even melt yet, and my road is nothing but compacted snow from the last storm and then this latest storm, that with -30 below temps, yeah fun..

I live in Gresham or, and that's what it looked like at my house a couple days ago and thought about flying myself...

Depends on how cold it is outside... Below 19F my fingers get too cold. But I basically do what others have said, I keep the battery "warm". Don't fly as far away as I would in warmer temps and "return home" well before I normally do in warmer climates...

Otherwise I've had no issues flying when its cold. One thing I've seen is plastic can be more brittle when its cold out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl