thinking about buying a quadcopter

Reaction score
Hi, Is there anyone who can help us decide and maybe show us a phantom dji copter in action if you live near Bristol area? We really want to buy one , but nick has been put off with the forums about it disappearing all of a sudden , and don't want this to happen, so looking for some advice or help, much appreciated. Lyn, nick and zak

Hi Guys

I live in South Somerset but you really need to ignore the comments about flyaways. The vast majoirty of people who own phantoms and fly perfectly well dont come on here and say "oh had a lovely flight today", so you only really have a forum where problems are aired, and they are the very small majority. As for buying one you would probably get the vision plus simply because its the best "out of the box" option of having stabilised 3 axis video. I have both the 2 vision and the 2 vision plus and have had no problems with either of them.

As long as you read the manuals through carefully, learn the basics and practise very simple flying to gain confidence, then there is no reason for you to fall victim of flyaways or problems, and yes there is a very small percentage of unexplained flyaways, but they are very small and we can never get to the bottom of why they happen as we only get a one sided account based on their recollections of what happened prior to the loss.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 2 vision plus based on my own use, but if you need to ask any questions then just drop a comment by and I will get back to you. Its difficult fitting in flying times when working, and a lot depends on weather as well, so it may be difficult for you to get to see one working.

Hope you find your answers.

And of course you will have to read up and digest the relevant CAA Guidelines as to where and how you can fly !!!!!!!

See Pull Ups video of the relevant rules and regulations that apply....dont just fly anywhere !!!

:roll:

Hi, I agree that the term 'fly away' is most often used for pilot error.

But I would suggest starting with a Phantom 1 v1.1.1 to build your confidence and skills. It has all the features that a new pilot needs. Just fly it out of the box- providing you have learnt the manuals backwards!

As and when you decide to migrate, the P1 will make good money on Ebay etc.- or keep as a source of spares.

I had a trouble free season last year with the P1. That put me in a position to make an informed decision on my upgrade path- which took me to the DJI Flame Wheel F450.

My main reasons for side stepping the much more expensive Vision was the eye watering cost of the unique battery and the very weak camera gimbal that tends to break given minor impact

discv said:
Hi, I agree that the term 'fly away' is most often used for pilot error.

But I would suggest starting with a Phantom 1 v1.1.1 to build your confidence and skills. It has all the features that a new pilot needs. Just fly it out of the box- providing you have learnt the manuals backwards!

As and when you decide to migrate, the P1 will make good money on Ebay etc.- or keep as a source of spares.

I had a trouble free season last year with the P1. That put me in a position to make an informed decision on my upgrade path- which took me to the DJI Flame Wheel F450.

My main reasons for side stepping the much more expensive Vision was the eye watering cost of the unique battery and the very weak camera gimbal that tends to break given minor impact

Yeah true but unless they have a pot of money im guessing they would be looking at one purchase but agree entirely its all about practise which I think is potentially more costly with the fragility of the plus gimbal mount, but they are very intuitive aircraft if you take them slowly. I hadnt flown one until my P2V and the only lesson I learned quickly was descending too quickly and getting propwash problems, but since DJI reduced the rate of descent that should not be too much of a problem. The thing I think is very important on first off flying is learn the good habits, read the manual, read the forums, ask for advice, as there are potential pitfalls if you dont, and it can be an expensive mistake if you have to learn the hard way.

Good points though, but as with most people budget will dictate I guess, and the eye watering appeal of an out of the box camera with stabilised FPV sways most people.

pyrophantom said:
Hi Guys

I live in South Somerset but you really need to ignore the comments about flyaways. The vast majoirty of people who own phantoms and fly perfectly well dont come on here and say "oh had a lovely flight today", so you only really have a forum where problems are aired, and they are the very small majority.

I make this argument all the time around here also. most of the early flyaways were due to pilot error (like leaving gopro wifi enabled) and with the newer firmwares it really doesn't happen that much anymore

Thank you for your help, our number is 07533818352 if anyone is willing to let us see one or just have a chat.
Lyn

pyrophantom said:
And of course you will have to read up and digest the relevant CAA Guidelines as to where and how you can fly !!!!!!!

See Pull Ups video of the relevant rules and regulations that apply....dont just fly anywhere !!!

:roll:
Thanks for your offer to help on your message, it won't let me message back , can I leave you our number so we can chat about it further please. 07533818352 thanks lyn and nick

Have sent you a text message

Paul

As others have said you really can't go wrong provided you follow the 'rules'.

Forums are great for creating an impression that there is a problem with a product (most people wont come on to the forum to say there were no problems with their flight!).

Get one, you won't regret it! There is plenty of support from companies In the UK.

Spend several hours reading through the forum will give you everything you need to know about them, there isn't a single question that hasn't been asked at some point :)

Nick & Lyn

If you get it from RC Geeks and need to speak to someone ask for David Feakins.

;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl