The PD checked my FAA numbers on my Drone !

I was once stopped and boarded by a coast guard vessel while motoring along one evening in an 18 foot open aluminum boat. They checked my safety gear and did a very quick sobriety check. They were satisfied and were in the process of boarding their own vessel when I asked them what it was that made them decide to board me in the first place ? He glanced around my boat quickly, smiled a big grin and said "your green light isn't green enough". They all left chuckling to each other :) For the record, there was absolutely nothing wrong with my green nav light :)

Yep. Exactly my point earlier. There is “always a reason”.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Hey fellow phantom pilot's, I'm having absolutely NO issues with my sheriff department here in Los Angeles county, they come up to me and talk to me how cool my P3P, and my Phantom 4 is. No problems at all here... I'm guessing if they just don't like the person that is flying it, or they are just having a crappy day they will mess with you.
Happy flying y'all!!
Bigrob
From
Los Angeles

In the FARS aside the FAA, the only agency you have to present any airman's certificate is LE, I would presume this would apply to show evidence of registration. In the case of a hobbyist I don't this this argument would hold up especially if there is a local drone ordinance.
This presenting FAA Issued Certificates was hotly debated for decades and the word "present" does not mean surrender your Certificate. Once you hand your FAA Certificate to anyone you have surrendered it. To present an FAA Issued Certificate means to show it, not hand it over! I'm referring to Pilot's, Mechanic's Certificates, Ect. I state Certificates as legally in the U.S. since the Aviation Act of 1958 no Pilot's, Mechanic's, ECT Licenses have been issued by the FAA. I was an FAA Independent Examiner (DME) for many years until I retired and issued scores of FAA Certificates. I always carried copies of my Certificates in my wallet which I would hand to Leos if requested as most Leos are not up to what the FARS state.

And I'm sure in he'll ain't going to ruin my drones by putting some ugly @$$ markings on it.
Let me put it like this, I'm a proud Gun owner 2nd Amendment guy, and when the state or federal government try dumb outrageous gun laws WE the (gun community) we fight them, but the drone pilot's seem not to be doing that. Just my thoughts.

And I'm sure in he'll ain't going to ruin my drones by putting some ugly @$$ markings on it.
Let me put it like this, I'm a proud Gun owner 2nd Amendment guy, and when the state or federal government try dumb outrageous gun laws WE the (gun community) we fight them, but the drone pilot's seem not to be doing that. Just my thoughts.
Pretty sad, isn’t it??

Not true. If a battery with the number on it is inserted into the aircraft, that is sufficient. The battery becomes part of the aircraft, and inside the battery compartment is in compliance. :cool:
That's Right....earlier this week i signed up for a webinar on drones and set for near 2 hours and watched it... and that guy that gave it was a teacher at Kansas State University he was a drone instructor for all types of drone owners and he stated that about putting it in the battery compartment as long as tools were not involved in the seeking of it.." it was legal " !

Not true. If a battery with the number on it is inserted into the aircraft, that is sufficient. The battery becomes part of the aircraft, and inside the battery compartment is in compliance. :cool:
Disagree.

The battery can be displaced or even lost in an accident.

I didn’t you’ll find language to support that statement.

That's Right....earlier this week i signed up for a webinar on drones and set for near 2 hours and watched it... and that guy that gave it was a teacher at Kansas State University he was a drone instructor for all types of drone owners and he stated that about putting it in the battery compartment as long as tools were not involved in the seeking of it.." it was legal " !
You’re contradicting yourself maybe???
Yes, IN the compartment will suffice but not ON the battery with insertion into the aircraft.

This presenting FAA Issued Certificates was hotly debated for decades and the word "present" does not mean surrender your Certificate. Once you hand your FAA Certificate to anyone you have surrendered it. To present an FAA Issued Certificate means to show it, not hand it over! I'm referring to Pilot's, Mechanic's Certificates, Ect. I state Certificates as legally in the U.S. since the Aviation Act of 1958 no Pilot's, Mechanic's, ECT Licenses have been issued by the FAA. I was an FAA Independent Examiner (DME) for many years until I retired and issued scores of FAA Certificates. I always carried copies of my Certificates in my wallet which I would hand to Leos if requested as most Leos are not up to what the FARS state.
And notice I said "present." A little easier giving up a registration (in lieu of an airman's certificate) as they are downloaded and can be re-printed over and over again.

With that said, I've been in aviation for 40 years and was always taught the same as you mention, but this day and age we're supposed to have a "kinder and gentler FAA." As a result of "old school tactics," we now have some printed and specified rights. (You being a former AME are probably aware of this) Text of S. 1335 (112th): Pilot’s Bill of Rights (Passed Congress version) - GovTrack.us

Reactions: Squall Line UAV
It is better to show them than be confrontational. You represent all drone pilots when you fly. It is the law to have it registered, there is no way short of you landing for them to see it.where is the problem?

I might have asked if I can complete my full flight and return within 20 minutes.

I've only had one sort-of complaint from someone. They thought it was cool but even at 100' up, it was bothering their dogs, dogs wanting to chase it.

It is better to show them than be confrontational. You represent all drone pilots when you fly. It is the law to have it registered, there is no way short of you landing for them to see it.where is the problem?
local cops sticking their noses into something that is none of their business are the ones being confrontational, not I. if I am peaceably pursuing a legal activity and not endangering anyone else, they have no reason or right to ask me to do anything. The one question that is never asked in threads like this one is this: What reasonable suspicion did those police officers have that the OP WASN’T registered and had his number properly marked on his drone??? Think about it.

I am always polite to law enforcement but I choose not to answer any questions in most circumstances... ESPECIALLY if I was detained.

Last edited:
Also, don’t you register yourself as a drone operator, not the drone itself? Given that, all you have to do is show him the registration paper. He shouldn’t have to see the drone itself...the only reason for them to check the drone too (IMHO) after you showed him your valid registration is to be a jerk if you were not suspected of doing anything wrong.

Reactions: RKBA
Also, don’t you register yourself as a drone operator, not the drone itself? Given that, all you have to do is show him the registration paper. He shouldn’t have to see the drone itself...the only reason for them to check the drone too (IMHO) after you showed him your valid registration is to be a jerk if you were not suspected of doing anything wrong.
Nope. You're registering the drone. If you have 2 or more drones, each has it's own registration number just like airplanes have different N numbers.

In Missouri, they setup road checks. 2 or more highway patrol will stop all cars and trucks and check license and registration. I work for MODOT and got stopped and checked once. No probable cause, just a random stop.
When you fly an airplane, a LEO has every right to ask to see your pilots license. I figure it's the same with flying a drone. I'm guessing each state may have it's own laws independent of the FAAs.

I've got a friend that works for the HWP. I'll have to ask him. Last I read Missouri hasn't written any drone laws, but that doesn't mean a city hasn't. We're supposed to obey the laws, but how to keep track of them is the problem.
As for loosing our freedom, we already have. I'm a land owner, DNR has told me I can't cut down trees in the middle of my soybean field because it holds water. That makes it a wet land. The animals living in that 1 acre have more rights to my land than I do. Constitution says we can own land. The government through the DNR. Has taken away our rights and dictates what we can and can't do with our land. Ever since the civil war our government has slowly been taking our rights away. Before that time, they were concerned with ensuring our freedom.

Sorry for the long off topic ramble. But it does kinda go along with the topic of our freedom.

Also, I'll have to double check, but I was thinking when I studied for the FAA test, it said the registration number had to be on the drone where it could be accessed with out tools. I took it to mean on the drone itself. A call to your local FSDO might clear up this question, but I'm thinking the battery wasn't legal because it can be removed, then there won't be a number on the drone.

Nope. You're registering the drone. If you have 2 or more drones, each has it's own registration number just like airplanes have different N numbers.

LOL!! Gee, I wonder why we can never agree about stuff on the internet ;-/

In Missouri, they setup road checks. 2 or more highway patrol will stop all cars and trucks and check license and registration. I work for MODOT and got stopped and checked once. No probable cause, just a random stop.
When you fly an airplane, a LEO has every right to ask to see your pilots license. I figure it's the same with flying a drone. I'm guessing each state may have it's own laws independent of the FAAs.

I've got a friend that works for the HWP. I'll have to ask him. Last I read Missouri hasn't written any drone laws, but that doesn't mean a city hasn't. We're supposed to obey the laws, but how to keep track of them is the problem.
As for loosing our freedom, we already have. I'm a land owner, DNR has told me I can't cut down trees in the middle of my soybean field because it holds water. That makes it a wet land. The animals living in that 1 acre have more rights to my land than I do. Constitution says we can own land. The government through the DNR. Has taken away our rights and dictates what we can and can't do with our land. Ever since the civil war our government has slowly been taking our rights away. Before that time, they were concerned with ensuring our freedom.

Sorry for the long off topic ramble. But it does kinda go along with the topic of our freedom.

Also, I'll have to double check, but I was thinking when I studied for the FAA test, it said the registration number had to be on the drone where it could be accessed with out tools. I took it to mean on the drone itself. A call to your local FSDO might clear up this question, but I'm thinking the battery wasn't legal because it can be removed, then there won't be a number on the drone.

As I understood it (and I certainly can be wrong), hobby registration is all encompassing.. Not separate registration # per drone. I bought 2 new ones recently and could find no place on my FAA account to register the QC separately...

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
4750456679dabe3ad72cfb4a9b36d761.jpg

c63f85b8bd122680ee14dbbc3b5268f1.jpg

21b6fa58438ecc5f584d9176f6eb292c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMyTJ

havent you read my prior post .its Very Legal above as stated By thwe FAA. https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration/media/UAS_how_to_label_Infographic.pdf

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94