The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

I’m a newbie to all this and don’t know all the lingo yet so be patient please. I just bought the P4 to look at deer on our ranch. I flew to our pins which was about 7650 feet from the bunk house. Bunk house is highest point on ranch. I found the deer and hovered above them at about 75 feet and they didn’t even look up. When I started going a little lower I stated to loose signal so I went back up and it was fine. My son-in-law has a P3 and swears that if I get the DBS it sees through trees and I won’t have that problem. Before I void the warranty I just wanted some feed back. He swears by it and says I can get a used controller on ebay if I have problems… Your thought please
DBS antenna is a directional antenna comparing to the stock omni-directional antennas. It'll direct the signal channeled in the direction you're facing so always make sure to switch to GPS mode (unless you're already lying in it) and direct your controller in the direction of your aircraft when using a directional antenna.

It also doesn't necessarily void your warranty. You have options of doing a clean install and carefully remove stock antennas to not damage them to reinstall if needed to service... Or simply don't send the controller if need to service just the aircraft.

Check out range threads, personally with just DBS antenna I have flown 3.89 miles and only returned due to battery, was still at full bars. With that being said it all depends on LOS (line of sight) as trees and other objects do cause quite a bit of interference.

I’m a newbie to all this and don’t know all the lingo yet so be patient please. I just bought the P4 to look at deer on our ranch. I flew to our pins which was about 7650 feet from the bunk house. Bunk house is highest point on ranch. I found the deer and hovered above them at about 75 feet and they didn’t even look up. When I started going a little lower I stated to loose signal so I went back up and it was fine. My son-in-law has a P3 and swears that if I get the DBS it sees through trees and I won’t have that problem. Before I void the warranty I just wanted some feed back. He swears by it and says I can get a used controller on ebay if I have problems… Your thought please
The DBS antenna won't disappoint. It's by far the best antennas on the market. I've been using the dbs002 since it came out last year and I also tried fpvlr but the dbs had about 30% further range. Now I'm using the bigger DBS panel unboosted and it amazes me everytime I fly with it. I can fly lower and further than I have ever flown. I'm only limited by the battery . Jake at maxxuav.com is always on point and very professional and knowledgeable. Fly far Fly safe!!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My drone shop says I shouldn't do it but I feel strongly that I should go ahead and install...I won't be sorry right on my P4

There are no cons to installing the clean kit and running aftermarket antennas such as DBS from MaxxUAV.

Clean kit will allow you to connect pretty much any kind of wifi antenna you'd like. Whether you want a directional antenna on the remote, or want to fly from the house, or fly from a car.

If I bind my P4 to my P3P rc to see if my range changes, how does the flight mode switch work? It doesn't have a "S" position for sport. I am also interested in getting the DBS mod, but I had rather install it on my extra P3 rc.

If I bind my P4 to my P3P rc to see if my range changes, how does the flight mode switch work? It doesn't have a "S" position for sport. I am also interested in getting the DBS mod, but I had rather install it on my extra P3 rc.
It will require you to update the transmitter to the P4 configuration to be able to activate the motors. The exterior switches will then assume the P4 functionality, in the same positions as the P4 remote. Not sure what that does to the use of that transmitter with the P3. I believe, if you update the DJI GO app to 1.6+ that it moves all the F functionality inside the app,even with the P3, like with the P4. I wasn't sure, so I have my P4 and P3 systems completely sandboxed, with separate tablets that I don't update and separate transmitters that are also not updated for my three P3P's.

It will require you to update the transmitter to the P4 configuration to be able to activate the motors. The exterior switches will then assume the P4 functionality, in the same positions as the P4 remote. Not sure what that does to the use of that transmitter with the P3. I believe, if you update the DJI GO app to 1.6+ that it moves all the F functionality inside the app,even with the P3, like with the P4. I wasn't sure, so I have my P4 and P3 systems completely sandboxed, with separate tablets that I don't update and separate transmitters that are also not updated for my three P3P's.
Thanks, does it update on it's own after I bind it? Are you saying that the middle switch position then becomes the "sport" position and "P" remains "P"? I hardly ever use "ATTI".

Latest update

Attachments

• 1464921780554.jpg
    1464921780554.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 497
Thanks, does it update on it's own after I bind it? Are you saying that the middle switch position then becomes the "sport" position and "P" remains "P"? I hardly ever use "ATTI".
No, after binding, it will require you to do the update through the app, in order to be able arm the P4 motors, but it can be done without anything other than the remote and the tablet, as long as you have an internet connection, or can hot spot to your phone, using your tablet WiFi.

Yes, the switches functionality become exactly as they are labeled on the P4 remote, replacing the existing P3 labels and functionality.

i plan to shatter all windsurfer records tomorrow. I've got 4 different types of windsurfers ill be using. one of them will break the record.

My new range record with stock equipment P4. No mods, no windsurfers, no boosters, no nothing.

6.533km (4.05 miles or 21433 ft)

Attachments

• 6500m.jpg
    6500m.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 550
Reactions: phantom13flyer
There are no cons to installing the clean kit and running aftermarket antennas such as DBS from MaxxUAV.

Clean kit will allow you to connect pretty much any kind of wifi antenna you'd like. Whether you want a directional antenna on the remote, or want to fly from the house, or fly from a car.

Actually there are 2 cons,

1 the weight of the controller is more front heavy and causes an unbalanced controller and you can get tired of holding it with the extra weight.

2 the portability is no longer there unless you have a case designed for the DBS, otherwise that's another bit of kit you have to take off and reconnect or carry separately.

This is the reason I reverted mine back to stock and I'm glad I did because I don't like the extra weight or hassle of carting it around.

However, for range then go for it, but really how far will you be realistic flying, if it's below 2km then I don't believe it's warranted

Last edited:
I have to say ,after the hack mod on the ch , I got better range , no interferences and video drops.
That's good enough for me , can't understand why buy this toy (almost one ) and try to get out such a long range ..I use it also to inspect my grid tied solar park and it does exactly what I ask it to do .well don dji:)

I have to say ,after the hack mod on the ch , I got better range , no interferences and video drops.
That's good enough for me , can't understand why buy this toy (almost one ) and try to get out such a long range ..I use it also to inspect my grid tied solar park and it does exactly what I ask it to do .well don dji:)
In manual or auto mode? I use auto channels, will it work with the hack?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT