The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Another newbie here and first post other than the checking on board post.

Got a P4 about 3 or 4 weeks ago and went right into the mods. Got Jakes Evolite Kit Plus. Barring those times you forget to turn the amps on, it works really great.

I was searching the forum here, among other places, and trying to figure out if the 400' limit was hard in the P4 and just found out yesterday that I could adjust it up to 500m. I see a lot of folks on the forum here saying that there's no reason to go above 400' and I'd have to disagree with that. Guess I'll leave it at that.

The reason not to go above 400' is because the FAA and the Government says no. That's restricted airspace, and illegal without permission / permit.

yes, above your current take off area, but let them catch you flying above 400' and see how that works out for you. Unfortunately, those that disobey the current rules and regulations in place are the ones who will end up getting it banned for the rest who DO follow the rules. Honestly, what's above 400' anyway that is so interesting that couldn't be seen at 400 ft?
But whatever, that's fine, at least I won't get caught and get any sort of fine or what have you.

and 700' IS restricted, unless something has changed from what i've read.

Also, Part 107 doesn't go into affect until August. AND Part 107 applies to commercial UAS use.

Last edited:
I am a former P2 vision + owner that upgraded to the P4. Amazing rig! Tuns of fun.

I know they say 3 miles for distance but im only getting about 3500-4000 feet top end before i see 1 bar on both video and controller and a few warnings. I live in a highly wooded rural area and didnt expect to hit the 3 miles but 3500 feet is ALOT shy.

In anycase i decided to order the ITELITE MAXXRANGE which I think will give me the range im looking for.

Im excited to get it going!

I pushed out to 3 kilometers today, which happens to be the max distance allowed in Europe. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous when I was getting weak connection warnings. I even got a disconnection warning but I pushed on. Hit 3 kilometers and turned around. Just for fun, I will aim for 4 kilometers and see what happens.
But, but...That's not allowed! LOL

The rational is obvious, and has a reason. Aircraft are not allowed within 500' from a person or structure. If too fly at 400', you have separation.
Not if the aircraft are legally flying under 500' along the shoreline...:eek:

It's 1000' over urban and 500' over rural for planes. 400' for UAVs gives a buffer.

Even if the plane is violating their own air space rules, you must still give way to the manned aircraft under all circumstances. The buffers are a nice idea, but are by no means a guarantee of safety, nor may they be relied upon as a complete defense, in the event of any incident. Helicopters can also potentially be flown virtually anywhere at any height. They certainly do! Police and fire and rescue helicopters can regularly be seen in "our" airspace! :eek:

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Not sure if this question was asked and answered. Need your opinions. If I'm trying to test my distance capability, Is it better to FLY out in Sports Mode (Top Speed) or in P-Mode (Normal speed)?

The reason not to go above 400' is because the FAA and the Government says no. That's restricted airspace, and illegal without permission / permit.

This is a typical misunderstanding by people new to RC and not properly trained by someone that knows. The internet has created this misunderstanding so it's really nobody's fault.

That is just flat-out not true. The 400' ceiling for multis (and all RC craft for that matter) is a recommendation from the FAA developed to create a buffer between controlled airspace and non-controlled airspace in the hopes of preventing contact with FS aircraft.

I am a licensed FS pilot (30 years) and have been flying RC for 25 years also. We have always been able to fly RC above 400'. The fact of the matter is that talk of this so-called 400' ceiling never happened until all these park flyers and self-flying crafts came along. Our charge was to fly responsibly, which we did. That is STILL the case. I can, and DO fly all of my multis and fixed wings (that can, of course) above 400' on occasion. The key is doing so responsibly. The exceptions are the recent crafts regulated by manufacturers' software and not laws.

Some say it is an attempt by the larger manufacturers to self-regulate before government (in the US, at least) does. I would argue that DJI (as an EXAMPLE) could care less about our responsibility. They are covering their OWN asses. This is not for our benefit. It is for their own.

I own a P3, a P4 and a Typhoon H. They are all ceiling limited to 400' by their manufacturers. I knew that going in. I didn't like it, but I made a decision as a hobbyist that I liked the benefits these crafts provided more than I disliked the limitations imposed by their manufacturers. I have many other multis that I can fly anywhere and to any height I please. I use those when I want to do so. For reference, none of my fixed wing aircraft have these silly restrictions.

I had hoped that the rebellion from consumers would one day force manufacturers to waive this silly manufacturer-imposed restriction. I have about given up on this. What I am still holding out hope on is the lead DJI has taken in at least allowing us to waive their responsibility by using a CC to verify our identity and acknowledge that we know what we're doing when making certain flying decisions. I haven't looked into this much yet but at least it gives me hope, and it looks like it could be a start.

There is no reason they couldn't add the self-imposed ceiling into this waiver. Until that happens, I'm restricted to where they say I can fly, including only below 400', but it's not regulatory or a law. It is industry imposed based on an FAA recommendation. It is nothing more nor nothing less. It just is.

Just so we all know what the law is. There isn't one on the ceiling. Period. What there is, is liability you accept as a pilot when you go above it, but don't be fooled. You accept that potential liability every single time you takeoff. Altitude doesn't matter.

Reactions: deltalimatango
Woohoo!
Just popped my 10,000 feet initiation!
Using windsurfers, though I'm still not sure if they really work...but went out in an area/direction that I've been having good luck with. Today I just said screw it ...go for it. In the past I was stopping at 3K, then 5K. Made it to 10K and then turned around. Didn't get the weak video/RC warning.
On the way back I switched to sport, and wandered a little bit instead of directly back....
Then I got the weak video warning, weak RC warning then BAM aircraft disconnect warning!
Pressed the RTH button, held it down. Didn't hear any confirmation beeps, but eventually screen on my ipad came back on showing RTH in progress.
Once it got closer and over safer terrain I switched back to manual.
For me learning lesson is once again that range/signal has so many variables attached to it.
And....definitely getting some mods - antennae and boosters!

Hello everyone.

Came to share my today's experience.

I remember my first week with my Phantom 4. I read forum and was pretty crazy about the range of the bird. I tried it at work and it was terrible. I went out to the suburbs and made 2500 meters (~8200 feet). It was definitely better but not what I expected.

Today I was in mountains. I was on one mountain and I wanted to get to another one. So the condition is perfect - straight line between me and bird and nothing in between except for the fresh air.

I had to return back because of the battery. There wasn't even a warning about bad signal.

I did 3777.4m (~12400 feet) when phantom decided to go home.

See the attached screenshot.

I regret now I didn't put another battery and didn't go on speed mode all the way till 3.5 km.. Maybe next time.

I'm impressed!

Attachments

• IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 444
Anyone experience like at some points in the day you can go farther but at other points you can't?

All of my long range flights have been at least 20 miles offshore. So far I get really nervous when I can no longer see the drone :) But the signal is always perfect. Video however is different. I get a lot of broken up video. Will antennae and boosters improve that?

I'm not reading this thread, nor posting, in complaint. I want to learn how to maximize the range. If I can do that by spending another $110, great, if it's $500 ok. I'm not bashing the product in any way. There needs to be another thread on range, without the complaints, but actual info. Sticky that please. delete any unnecessary posts.

I'm not reading this thread, nor posting, in complaint. I want to learn how to maximize the range. If I can do that by spending another $110, great, if it's $500 ok. I'm not bashing the product in any way. There needs to be another thread on range, without the complaints, but actual info. Sticky that please. delete any unnecessary posts.

Check out Maxx UAV - UAV Long Range Solutions

I own a P3, a P4 and a Typhoon H. They are all ceiling limited to 400' by their manufacturers. I knew that going in. I didn't like it, but .....
The GO app for DJI allows you to increase the height limit to 500m (1640'). I'm pretty sure the Yuneec software allows this too.

When climbing mountains I often go above 400' above my take off point, but never more than 400' AGL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT