The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Same launch site.
Same flight path.
Channel 32.
Wind surfer.
Only minutes seperating flights.

P3A = 3500 metres - occasional weak signal but never completely lost signal.
P4 = 2500 metres - weak signal beyond 2000 metres and lost signal at 2500 metres.

Reactions: WhatMACHI
Same launch site.
Same flight path.
Channel 32.
Wind surfer.

P4 = 2500 metres - weak signal beyond 2000 metres and lost signal at 2500 metres.

Dang...this seems to be a common occurrence. What kind of terrain/environment were you in?

Range probs????????????????

This thing goes a long way...who is complaining about range?

Please gods of the DJI, fix the video issue first.

Has anybody of you noticed the following: since I upgraded RC and Phantoms 3 and 4 with the latest software, the range has dramatically improved. It is just an empirical observation, but I do experiment more range. I couldn't get out of my neighborhood, now, it easily goes beyond.

Has anybody of you noticed the following: since I upgraded RC and Phantoms 3 and 4 with the latest software, the range has dramatically improved. It is just an empirical observation, but I do experiment more range. I couldn't get out of my neighborhood, now, it easily goes beyond.
That's an interesting observation, and possibility. I just upgraded my P4 to the latest firmware only to get it working with an Inspire RC, which I updated to latest firmware. The results have been impressive, but I thought it was the Inspire RC that was helping. Maybe it's the latest firmware.

I bought the Immersion RF signal strength meter this week, I should have it next weekend. I'm going to do some measuring of signal strength from the P3P RC (1.5.8 F/W) , my P4 RC (original 1.5.8 F/W) and my Inspire GL658A RC with new 1.6 firmware.

I'd sure like to know more about the encryption they put in the firmware, DJI is famous for no details or explanation. Does anyone know if this is for the control signal only? And what's the purpose? Was it possible for someone to hack the control of a Phantom and steal the craft?

Same launch site.
Same flight path.
Channel 32.
Wind surfer.

Yes, I've had similar results comparing my P4 to my P3P. Today I used a GL658A Inspire RC with my P4 and I think I'm on to something. It seems to work better, but I have more testing to do. Today I went 5500' without windsurfer and never lost a bar. Although my P4 has gone 15000' with windsurfer with a solid signal using my GL300C, other times at moderate ranges of 3000' to 4000' with windsurfer over open water I get weak signals, or lost control and video. It's been really strange, my GL300C doesn't seem to have as solid of a signal with my P4 craft, compared to my GL300A and P3P which rarely lets me down within 10000'. I'm using Ch31. The reduction in transmission power on the newer RCs, as well as bird-side transmission power has had an affect on the distance performance that we're use to.

My P4's range today was atrocious. At 40 meters up, i'm getting weak image transmission messages and super choppy pixelated feed from as near as 150 meters out. this is crap. That was on 6mbps bitrate. And this is at one of my regular spots which is a huge open field with no buildings in the way.

Switched to 4mbps and it seemed to fix the issue.

My P3A powers through this place without a drop in video feed and never did I even get a weak image transmission message too.
Question, how do you increase or switch the bit rate? I just purchased my first phantom and have been setting it up. Thanks

Question, how do you increase or switch the bit rate? I just purchased my first phantom and have been setting it up. Thanks
If you switch to custom channel you can adjust the bitrate. Auto channel doesn't allow for that to be adjusted .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Click the HD Icon. Manually select a custom channel such as 20, whatever channel shows the least traffic. When you manually select a custom channel you will then see a slider bar for Transmission Quality. Slide that left to 4mbps, the lowest setting.

Also consider installing the channel hack into your GO APP. That gives you 32 channels and the upper channels are usually very quiet.

5th flight with my stock P4. Maximum range (before RTH) - 5125m. (P-mode). Happy with that. Does anybody know how to increase the battery life during flight (just flying forward and then straight return).

In the same spot flying in the same direction at the same height , minutes apart ,in my neighborhood.

P3P RTH at 3500'. 5000' with surfers
p4 RTH at 1200'. 1200' with surfers

Same settings on the controllers, both auto and custom channels (channel 31)

I am very disappointed...

I am going to connect my p3p controller to my p4 and try that next chance I get...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Heavenlyview
P4 seems more sensitive to interference. Try watching the signal bars and make sure that antennas are vertical with respect to the drone and try to move a bit (at any direction) I order to maximise the number of signal bars. For me it happened during flight to see only 2 red bars but after little move of the RC I managed to get more bars. Good lack.

In the same spot flying in the same direction at the same height , minutes apart ,in my neighborhood.

P3P RTH at 3500'. 5000' with surfers
p4 RTH at 1200'. 1200' with surfers

Same settings on the controllers, both auto and custom channels (channel 31)

I am very disappointed...

I am going to connect my p3p controller to my p4 and try that next chance I get...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I recently switched my P4 over to an Inspire GL658A controller. Went 12,200' without surfer, just stock antennas, never lost a bar. I haven't had time to test with surfers yet. Very happy with results so far.

I'm very curious what you'll get using the P3 controller to fly your P4. Please include the model#of the controller you test with.

Last edited:
I'm one of the people that really like the P4. I previously had a P2V+ so this was a big improvement. I live in the country and it's very flat and open. Last night I flew out 15850 ft. with a stock P4 and remote. Video started hanging up at around 13500 ft. but the remote was only down 1 bar at the 3 miles when it started an automatic return. I let it return because this was my first time at this distance and I was a little nervous. I got back with 35% battery power so could have gone farther. I have a windsurfer but I haven't tried it yet.

Mark

Reactions: Start Visit
I recently switched my P4 over to an Inspire GL658A controller. Went 12,200' without surfer, just stock antennas, never lost a bar. I haven't had time to test with surfers yet. Very happy with results so far.

I'm very curious what you'll get using the P3 controller to fly your P4. Please include the model#of the controller you test with.
So, Inspire controller gave you how much more range?
I thought it was about the same all controllers.

I have been loading all my logs on Healthy Drones and reviewing everything. Each site I fly in are totaly different. If I fly on the 200 acres which is clear cut behind my house the gps signal is average to poor. This 200 acres is surrounded by housing developments radio towers etc. I was expecting it to be a marginal site to fly.
Now if I go to a friend's place approximately 4000 acres way out of the way not much around I get 100% signal in every category. I can fly as far as I want with my P4 with no issues. I have learned most of the issues with range are site specific.

Will add my data here as well. I have a P4 just bought and this was the maiden flight. Needed to know what is the P4 capable of just for my piece of mind. Did about 7+ miles round trip without any problems/interference and landed with 17% battery. Flight mode was in all switch positions for testing. SPORT eats battery like crazy...not really good for anything. Picture below.
I used an Inspire RC type C for this test and will use it as main.
My friend flew his P4 all stock right after me and his total distance was a bit over 5 miles round trip, no problems also.
pic 6.PNG

The area is on a farm/desert location at about 3/4 miles from any houses.

Reactions: arcaine25
When you're talking range, it would probably be helpful to specify altitude as well. If you're not too far above the ground, there's probably going to be more signal problems than if you're flying higher.
In reality, I guess there are all sorts of other variables affecting this too.

Reactions: arcaine25

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart