The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Hurry up amp mount and open antenna plugs ....... I'm dyyyyyinggg.

Attachments

• 1460643536359.jpg
    1460643536359.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 775
Nope.. it seems I can't wait.... ooopppss :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1460649855861.jpg
    1460649855861.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 781
Looks like DJI-Ken has been replying to some posts regarding range over at the DJI forums. I'm a potential buyer of a P4, anyone with a bit more experience with range issues want to sus out whether the issues are because the P4 is crippled or could be fixed by firmware?

DJI Forum|Awesome range on the P4 going 5km

After asking a direct question as to what could be potentially causing the range discrepancies between the P3 and P4, the entire post BY DJI-Ken has been removed from the forum. There we go, good to know DJI is transparent and happy to deal with customer concerns.

First a DJI employee boasts how good the range is, then when asked questions by several people, removes the post...

After asking a direct question as to what could be potentially causing the range discrepancies between the P3 and P4, the entire post BY DJI-Ken has been removed from the forum. There we go, good to know DJI is transparent and happy to deal with customer concerns.

First a DJI employee boasts how good the range is, then when asked questions by several people, removes the post...

What kind of rang issues? I dont notice any.

Reactions: arcaine25
Read this thread or any other thread regarding people with range issues. I dont have a P4, I was merely asking the question to DJI as to why people have been complaining about range.

Well there you go. You dont even have one. I almost returned mine base on reviews of poor range without trying myself. Its a non issue.

Reactions: arcaine25
Well there you go. You dont even have one. I almost returned mine base on reviews of poor range without trying myself. Its a non issue.

Your point is moot. The fact that I dont have one doesn't dispell the fact there are people in the community that have reported issues. The fact that you have no issues also doesn't mean that other people not having issues.

No issues here. Solid range from day one. Suspect these are new pilots who don't know what they're doing and were quick to complain before making adjustments to the way they were flying. Such as antenna orientation , channel selection and bit rate . Environmental factors are critical and maintaining a clear line of sight . And line of sight has nothing to do with being able to see your phantom .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

No issues here. Solid range from day one. Suspect these are new pilots who don't know what they're doing and were quick to complain before making adjustments to the way they were flying. Such as antenna orientation , channel selection and bit rate . Environmental factors are critical and maintaining a clear line of sight . And line of sight has nothing to do with being able to see your phantom .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is kind of my take on it as well. Channel quality, custom channels, orientation, is it real LOS, or are they standing somewhere near / behind trees or other possible obstacles... You don't get 5km in any of those conditions P4 or P3. But in an open clear LOS it's possible on either platform, as I've not had any range issues either. I literally just flew again tonight with my new P4 with all current updates, and it flew exactly the same distances as my P3 under the exact conditions it (P3) flew in. Just my $0.02 though.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
This is kind of my take on it as well. Channel quality, custom channels, orientation, is it real LOS, or are they standing somewhere near / behind trees or other possible obstacles... You don't get 5km in any of those conditions P4 or P3. But in an open clear LOS it's possible on either platform, as I've not had any range issues either. I literally just flew again tonight with my new P4 with all current updates, and it flew exactly the same distances as my P3 under the exact conditions it (P3) flew in. Just my $0.02 though.
I reported range issue in the urban area, RTHed at 475 m distance where my P3P had never had a problem in that area, I fly both in the area as a matter of fact I had never had an RTH on my P3P,
the second flight with my P4 lost signal with the controller and auto returned to home point, this really made me worried as the craft also drifted out of sight before initiating RTH and returning.
I also ran a distance flight with P4 in a rural area and it was incredible making no problem 4.25 km each way and landing with 40% battery life... so there you go, there is definitely something changed in P4 and DJI claims it's all the same, I think they are trying to limit the range within residential area for liability purpose, why I do not know...
Nevertheless the P4 is a fantastic quad-copter if they can make it to match P3P range I would be dancing on a cloud with a case of beer !

CONTROLLER SPECS

Phantom 3P
Frequency Range (MHZ) 2406.5 - 2476.5
Output Watts 0.746

================================

Phantom 4
Output Watts 0.598

Last edited:
Reactions: Styler Wang
I reported range issue in the urban area, RTHed at 475 m distance where my P3P had never had a problem in that area, I fly both in the area as a matter of fact I had never had an RTH on my P3P,
the second flight with my P4 lost signal with the controller and auto returned to home point, this really made me worried as the craft also drifted out of sight before initiating RTH and returning.
I also ran a distance flight with P4 in a rural area and it was incredible making no problem 4.25 km each way and landing with 40% battery life... so there you go, there is definitely something changed in P4 and DJI claims it's all the same, I think they are trying to limit the range within residential area for liability purpose, why I do not know...
Nevertheless the P4 is a fantastic quad-copter if they can make it to match P3P range I would be dancing on a cloud with a case of beer !

CONTROLLER SPECS

Phantom 3P
Output Watts 0.746

================================

Phantom 4
Output Watts 0.598

Ive tested out in the country and yes range is excellent. 20k easily. Haven't really been in the city yet so you may be on to something. To me it makes sense that governments are pressuring dji to reduce range and the several mile flights of the p3 and p4 days will be over.

I always have it on Auto. Terrible idea? I haven't adjusted video setting but I think it's on the max, which shows 4 mbps (1.88) miles. Also terrible idea? Video feed cuts in and out every now and then, but how does the mbps video feed effect the RC signal? Sorry for my inexperience.
I think ability to adjust the Transmission quality only appears when you have chosen a CUSTOM CHANNEL. I suggest you choose a custom channel that shows little to no activity on the channel, such as #20, which in my area is usually very quiet. When you chose that channel, a slider bar appears on the same page that allows you to reduce the bit-rate of the video downlink. Move it to the left to the slowest speed, 4mbps. The slower the bit-rate you use the farther you can go without video dropouts. I also suggest you consider implementing the 32ch hack for the GO APP in your smart device. This will provide more channels that are allocated to other industry uses, and are usually ideal with no traffic use. A quiet channel is essential to get a solid connection between craft and RC. Lastly, slip a windsurfer on your antennas, no need to open up the RC for this range enhancement. Windsurfer will double your distance, however you have to make a conscious effort to point the reflectors at your craft while flying. The two piece version of this 3D printed windsurfer is easy to store in most storage cases and backpacks, unlike the more expensive solutions (FPVLR and DBS Mod) that more bulky and require you to open up the RC for the modification, voiding warranty.

Sorry for being a pain but can someone please attach the picture or record short video on how to point the antennas for best distance. Yes, i did look on youtube and google and followed their advises but still have a problem with range. Im sure its related to my little experience with flying and pointing antenna in the wrong direction.

Thank you

Sorry for being a pain but can someone please attach the picture or record short video on how to point the antennas for best distance. Yes, i did look on youtube and google and followed their advises but still have a problem with range. Im sure its related to my little experience with flying and pointing antenna in the wrong direction.

Thank you
Always keep the antennas parallel to the legs of the craft. Don't fly directly overhead very high, that's a weak spot.

So I'm starting to notice that I can go a lot farther with completely open line of contact. Once you mix some tree, not even a lot, into the mix, the range decreases 2-3 times.

So I'm starting to notice that I can go a lot farther with completely open line of contact. Once you mix some tree, not even a lot, into the mix, the range decreases 2-3 times.
Tree leaves have high water content which doesn't allow signals to pass through. No different than going behind a block wall or mountain. Always fly LOS, and the higher you get (below 400' of course) the better range you'll have.

I'm in the mountains and we just broke the cold, no leaves at all, trees aren't even blooming yet. Not excited to see how bad it'll get once the trees bloom and we get leaves. I think I'll be purchasing jake's kit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31