The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

I believe windsurfers would help but do you really need to go further than 23,000 feet ONE WAY?????
That's incredible for stock

Hi all, I'm new to the board and have been reading it all the time for the last few months. What a great place to find information and help when needed! I do just want to say that I ended up getting the Maxxuav antenna and booster kit from Jake and it had totally changed my ability to fly and I feel in a much safer way, not losing signal all the time! Hope this is the appropriate place to mention that, I have never experienced such great service from any business or person before. If you want to to improve your flying experience that is the way to go, I did the install but I would recommend for most people to have him do it, well worth the price and not worrying about wrecking your controller!
Thanks to Jake and everyone who recommended him from this site. Happy flying and be safe!

I'm getting very frustrated with my P4. The range is what I'd expect from a P3S (having had 2 of them in the past).
My old P3A flew 4220m out over the marshes at 33m altitude with no issues. My P4, in the same place loses signal at between 500m and 600m. Tonight I was able to push past the 1st signal loss, but got RTH at 946m at 54m altitude.
In the UK, so custom channels are not strictly legal, plus it means switching my iPad into US, which is unhelpful.
The really annoying thing is, I can get signal loss at pretty much any range from 50m out.

for the record, I only fly in remote areas, well away from people, buildings, vehicles. The only other things here are the flies. Current FW, current app, correct antenna orientation - by the way, I can lose signal simply by touching the left antenna.

Should have stuck with the P3A.

I'm getting very frustrated with my P4. The range is what I'd expect from a P3S (having had 2 of them in the past).
My old P3A flew 4220m out over the marshes at 33m altitude with no issues. My P4, in the same place loses signal at between 500m and 600m. Tonight I was able to push past the 1st signal loss, but got RTH at 946m at 54m altitude.
In the UK, so custom channels are not strictly legal, plus it means switching my iPad into US, which is unhelpful.
The really annoying thing is, I can get signal loss at pretty much any range from 50m out.

for the record, I only fly in remote areas, well away from people, buildings, vehicles. The only other things here are the flies. Current FW, current app, correct antenna orientation - by the way, I can lose signal simply by touching the left antenna.

Should have stuck with the P3A.
Did you have any joy with the responses on your other thread regarding the antenna issue or finding another controller? I have a feeling you can bind your P3A controller (if you still have it) to the P4.

Unfortunately, I sold the P3A to fund this purchase. However, I have ordered new legs (with antennae) for the Phantom and have a potential to get a GL300A transmitter - will find out about that later.
Before swapping out any hardware my next test will be to run custom channels, with Go and Litchi.
There a number of shipwrecks here in Southport, all at least 1.2 miles out in the soft sand. The only way to film them is to fly out - the sand is like quick sand, too dangerous to walk there. My P3A would happily fly there at low level in full signal. This P4 can't even get past the pier!

Reactions: Jrlroxx
Unfortunately, I sold the P3A to fund this purchase. However, I have ordered new legs (with antennae) for the Phantom and have a potential to get a GL300A transmitter - will find out about that later.
Before swapping out any hardware my next test will be to run custom channels, with Go and Litchi.
There a number of shipwrecks here in Southport, all at least 1.2 miles out in the soft sand. The only way to film them is to fly out - the sand is like quick sand, too dangerous to walk there. My P3A would happily fly there at low level in full signal. This P4 can't even get past the pier!
The GL300A is apparently a better controller regarding transmission output and in my case I boosted my original controller and battery is the only limiting factor. I use Litchi for quite a bit of flying and whilst the distance range is the same, I receive none of the annoying warnings from the DJI app. Good lick with your new 'legs', I would be surprised to see if that was the issue unless there are signs of some sort of damage or if you had a string of warnings in the app regarding disconnected etc once you take off.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
The legs is really me clutching at straws, based on the variable signal quality depending on which direction the phantom is facing relative to the transmitter.
Plus I'm not looking forward to replacing them, would be handy if there were antenna cable joints in the legs instead of having to crack the case open.
It just frustrates me that I can't rely on the signal, at any distance. Makes flying a chore rather than s pleasure.

Yes, I have measured the difference in the RF power (control signal from RC up to craft) between P4 and P3 controllers, as well as the RF power (video downlink from craft to RC) between the P3 and P4 craft. Here's the thread from a while ago. My conclusion is the GL300C controller is the weakest lightbridge controller DJI has manufactured to date. To really solve the P4 range problem it's best to start with a good controller, like the GL300A (early Phantom 3P), or the GL658A (early Inspire), they have much better transmit power. You might find them on Ebay used. However, you'll need to KEEP the P4 controller for firmware updates to the craft. These other controllers won't work for that.

This reduced power output from the GL300C versus GL300A/B has been confirmed in the FCC filing that DJI submitted to the FCC, as other members have reported.
so your saying i can use p3pro controller to fly the phantom 4/

Yes, any GL658 will work better than GL300C that comes with P4. The GL300C is the weakest Lightbridge controller DJI has ever made. Jake at MaxxUAS has stated that all GL658s (A, B & C types) adjust their power output to what ever craft you link it to, hence it does not transmit the full power capability the FCC filing claims for power output. I haven't confirm Jake's claim, but I tend to believe it's true. However, I do know for a fact the GL658 puts out 50% more power than GL300C (my measurements) when linked to a P4 craft. My range capability with GL658A and P4 mirrors what early P3P could get for range, about 3mi with windsurfer, or about 2mi without windsurfer.
i have a phantom 3 pro and gl300c remote came with..will it work if i link it with the phantom 4

so your saying i can use p3pro controller to fly the phantom 4/
Absolutely! However, it obviously won't work with the P4P.
So any investment in modding a P3P controller carries over to the P4, and is actually better if it is a GL300A P3P controller, as it is more powerful natively than the crummy GL300C that the P4 comes with, so amping it really makes a difference! 5 mile range instead of the stock 1.6 miles that the GL300C delivers! Get a battery mod, too, as, otherwise, those 5 mile trips will only be one way! :cool:

Moving these posts to one thread was a bad idea. Who has time to read and follow a 21 page thread?? And the conversation goes on as many tangents as dji has warnings in a single flight. Oops. Maybe a new thread idea...

So what if they create new posts and it brews too much negativity? How about hey DJI fix the **** problem and quit acting like it doesn’t exist. Any member has a right to create their own post as much as anyone else - especially in hopes to get help from friendly peers. Not forum snobs who call those posters whiners. Sometimes I think a few of the boys in charge have gotten a little big for their britches as my Grandma used to say. There are other DJI forums available - if you guys want to keep treating noobs like that just do them a favor and post the links for them. Who does someone think they are to judge someone’s complaint or question as not important enough to have its own post then just shrug it off as whining and mock some made up convo that never happened. Some of the guys with forum authority are just jerks. It’s a growing problem on this forum and it’s off putting. Can’t wait to see what comes flying at me about this, but I don’t care. Good day to everyone. Happy flying. Be safe - have fun. Most importantly though remember that better yet pledge that you believe in DJI’s awesomeness and hey it’s the future of possible which means only positive high fives and posts that are easy layups for the band of brothers considered experts on here to impress you with their vast and all-knowing set of skills and god given talent flying radio controlled cameras. Those posts are the cats meow - the rest are stupid questions or whining. If you guys don’t like what’s in the forum quit complaining about posts and start by looking in the mirror.

Moving these posts to one thread was a bad idea. Who has time to read and follow a 21 page thread?? And the conversation goes on as many tangents as dji has warnings in a single flight. Oops. Maybe a new thread idea...

So what if they create new posts and it brews too much negativity? How about hey DJI fix the **** problem and quit acting like it doesn’t exist. Any member has a right to create their own post as much as anyone else - especially in hopes to get help from friendly peers. Not forum snobs who call those posters whiners. Sometimes I think a few of the boys in charge have gotten a little big for their britches as my Grandma used to say. There are other DJI forums available - if you guys want to keep treating noobs like that just do them a favor and post the links for them. Who does someone think they are to judge someone’s complaint or question as not important enough to have its own post then just shrug it off as whining and mock some made up convo that never happened. Some of the guys with forum authority are just jerks. It’s a growing problem on this forum and it’s off putting. Can’t wait to see what comes flying at me about this, but I don’t care. Good day to everyone. Happy flying. Be safe - have fun. Most importantly though remember that better yet pledge that you believe in DJI’s awesomeness and hey it’s the future of possible which means only positive high fives and posts that are easy layups for the band of brothers considered experts on here to impress you with their vast and all-knowing set of skills and god given talent flying radio controlled cameras. Those posts are the cats meow - the rest are stupid questions or whining. If you guys don’t like what’s in the forum quit complaining about posts and start by looking in the mirror.
Wrong time of the month?
Take a chill pill dude & lighten up

Reactions: PaulSouthport
I'm going to buy my first Drone. Narrowed it to the P4 or the Mavic Pro. (i think) reading about reception boosting already. What exactly does "EVO boost" mean? Such as in EVO boosted DBS antenna?
1st post here, hope I didn't screw up.

I'm going to buy my first Drone. Narrowed it to the P4 or the Mavic Pro. (i think) reading about reception boosting already. What exactly does "EVO boost" mean? Such as in EVO boosted DBS antenna?
1st post here, hope I didn't screw up.
The boosted versions are amplified, for better signal strength and longer range. It adds complexity, cost, two amplifiers, extra weight, and requires a separate battery, but it's well worth it, if you want the best reliability at extreme distance.

Ho guys, I have an app djigo4.18 that Force the fcc mode. The radio work on 21db of power.
I sure you that no need any improve to your antenna :)

Ho guys, I have an app djigo4.18 that Force the fcc mode. The radio work on 21db of power.
I sure you that no need any improve to your antenna :)
Depends upon how far away you want to fly! 6 miles will require some amplification.

I'm liking the form factor of the boosted Titan Cyclone, one amplified panel antenna can easily be swapped from one controller to another

p4p titan2 - Copy (1).jpg
titan 1 small - Copy.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT