The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

Today, with a GL300A radio transmitter and a windsurfer, my Phantom 4 fly to 16.000 feet to range. The radio signal was still present, but I return at home for prudence.

Today, with a GL300A radio transmitter and a windsurfer, my Phantom 4 fly to 16.000 feet to range. The radio signal was still present, but I return at home for prudence.
Yep, you're finding out what I found out last year. The GL300C is anemic for transmit power. It's the worst feature of the P4 IMHO. Using the GL300A (or GL658A) you can actually enjoy the P4's virtues without frustration.

Yep, you're finding out what I found out last year. The GL300C is anemic for transmit power. It's the worst feature of the P4 IMHO. Using the GL300A (or GL658A) you can actually enjoy the P4's virtues without frustration.

i must have the exception with my GL300C as i got 19,000ft out one way then came back all stock, then i put a DBS panel on unboosted from jake at MaxxUAV.com and pushed it out to 22,199 ft , nothing like the top leaders though, but stil my RC is all DJI said it should be, not a weaker one from my flight records

i must have the exception with my GL300C as i got 19,000ft out one way then came back all stock, then i put a DBS panel on unboosted from jake at MaxxUAV.com and pushed it out to 22,199 ft , nothing like the top leaders though, but stil my RC is all DJI said it should be, not a weaker one from my flight records
I have a friend who's happy with his P4 range too, he goes 19,000 in desert lake areas. I have gone as far as 16,000' in rural areas with windsurfer using GL300C, however it wasn't solid. The craft did not have a solid connection, it disconnects, then reconnects the control signal often at anything past 5000'. The true test is when you fly the same location with P3P and P4. My GL300C has a definite weakness flying the P4 in comparison my "early June 2015" P3P with GL300A. In town near civilization, or beach areas flying the coast (homes are nearby) I will often get control disconnects at 4000' with my P4/GL300C, when my P3P will do 10,000' in the same areas. Do you have a P3P to compare with? The P4 will often go into sudden auto RTH, simultaneously disconnecting the video. My P3P has never done that, it will always lose video first, but I still have control of the craft to ascend and regain video. I never have to worry about auto RTH with P3P.

FYI, I have flown the P4/GL300C on auto channel but find best results using a custom channel with the lowest wifi traffic, set at 4mbps bit rate (transmission quality) for the HD video setting.

On the other hand, my Mavic performs great for range, but the camera is not as good as P3P or P4, IMHO. I may have a defective camera, I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to send it in to DJI for inspection. The frequent sun flares are a known design issue, I'm not talking about that. I'll be posting some questions for everyone in the Mavicpilots forum when I'm done with testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bckmstr
I have a friend who's happy with his P4 range too, he goes 19,000 in desert lake areas. I have gone as far as 16,000' in rural areas with windsurfer using GL300C, however it wasn't solid. The craft did not have a solid connection, it disconnects, then reconnects the control signal often at anything past 5000'. The true test is when you fly the same location with P3P and P4. My GL300C has a definite weakness flying the P4 in comparison my "early June 2015" P3P with GL300A. In town near civilization, or beach areas flying the coast (homes are nearby) I will often get control disconnects at 4000' with my P4/GL300C, when my P3P will do 10,000' in the same areas. Do you have a P3P to compare with? The P4 will often go into sudden auto RTH, simultaneously disconnecting the video. My P3P has never done that, it will always lose video first, but I still have control of the craft to ascend and regain video. I never have to worry about auto RTH with P3P.

FYI, I have flown the P4/GL300C on auto channel but find best results using a custom channel with the lowest wifi traffic, set at 4mbps bit rate (transmission quality) for the HD video setting.

On the other hand, my Mavic performs great for range, but the camera is not as good as P3P or P4, IMHO. I may have a defective camera, I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to send it in to DJI for inspection. The frequent sun flares are a known design issue, I'm not talking about that. I'll be posting some questions for everyone in the Mavicpilots forum when I'm done with testing.

thanks bud, i enjoy reading and learning from your posts...you da the man :)

Have pretty poor range on my P4. Dead simple question. OEM P4 controller with maxxuav and amps or one of the more powerful controllers? Not bothered about extra bulk. Just want to best RC for solid signal. I'm assuming the extra amps will outdo anything the Inspire or other controllers would bring to the table?

Hey listen I may be wrong myself when I say I bought mine thinking it would reach out to a distance of like 3.1 miles and it only will go like 3/4 of a mile and I ran up on this site and thought what a great site cause I am sure they are people here that can show some new flyers like me things that I am sure are right under our noses and I don't want to complaine because I love my phantom and more than anything just trying to figure out if it's something I am doing wrong cause I am seeing great post of people getting great distances out of theirs

I went to a double set of railroad tracks not far from home that lead east straight thru the northern most part of the Dismal Swamp and proceeded to fly, bone stock, 2.5 miles until returning home for fear of loss due to batteries being too low to return. I did fly out at 40+ mph and if I had stayed out of sport mode I'm sure I could have gone further. I plan on a return trip when the weather warms up. I have also purchased DBS mod because of interference from trees at much closer ranges.

I just did this yesterday with the DJI Phantom 4 completely stock using just the Skyreat wind surfers. I'm aware that this isn't a record but it shows that under the right conditions a stock P4 does pretty well!

Reactions: loonie01
If I wish to replace my stock GL300C that came with my P4 with a new GL300A from DJI, do I just pair the craft & new RC and everything works with DJI Go4? Thanks

Since forced update range has been greatly effected. Any work around to improve range?

How's this one. I lost sight of my stock P4 behind some trees maybe 1km away and pushed the transmitter 'Off' button rather than the Home button? My iPad screen darkened and I went cold expecting the worst. At least that's what I thought not actually realising what I had done.About to go searching, next thing my drone arrives overhead and does a pin point landing. Stupidity aside, is this supposed to happen when the signal is cut? Just asking.

How's this one. I lost sight of my stock P4 behind some trees maybe 1km away and pushed the transmitter 'Off' button rather than the Home button? My iPad screen darkened and I went cold expecting the worst. At least that's what I thought not actually realising what I had done.About to go searching, next thing my drone arrives overhead and does a pin point landing. Stupidity aside, is this supposed to happen when the signal is cut? Just asking.
Yes, as long as your RTH is set correctly, your bird will come back like a faithful dog.

Reactions: go fast
Hello. First post.

I live near an Air Force base, and when the planes are flying you cannot get past 1500 ft., but like tonight when the sky is clear, a fixed channel, fixed video band width, and flying high, I am able to achieve a round trip of 12000 ft.
This is with an all stock P4, and trees and house all around.

I could have went further, but I didn't want to. I am also a ham operator, and RF is what determines your signal loss.

For me being able to achieve a mile or two is fine. I like to take aerial shots of towers and old grain bins when my health allows. Flying five mile, ten miles round trip, is not what I am looking for in a camera drone.

Close ups of my kids first bike ride, checking on my children down the way because I can't walk very well, etc. all are accomplished by the Phantom 4.

I hope everyone figures out there issues and has fun flying.

The comparison is so interesting because just 3-4 years ago 800-1000 feet with a Phantom 1 was considered amazing - you could hardly see it at that distance. The Phantom 2V+ had about a 1 KM safe range also in many (trees houses, wi-fi signals) area - and that was pushing it.

Now - even though clarity has been achieved in rules and recommendations (line of sight - which really cannot be more than a mile....and hardly even that)....everyone complains about not being able to fly the thing like a multi-million dollar military grade aircraft. AND, when they lose their bird at a distance (no LOS), they are often the first to cry for warranty...

There are exceptions - but most camera drone buyers will get better pics and videos (and keep their machines) when they fly them within a couple hundred feet. It also helps the hobby by not having the public see drones flying around without someone clearly in command.

IMHO, the Mavic Pro is the machine to buy if range (even close-by strong range) is your main objective. I've owned at least 7 Phantoms and none is close to the MP. That's not from official runs because I don't do them. But I tend to fly in the same places and the Mavic Pro just keeps going until it blows my mind.

I've always thought DJI shouldn't be so aggressive in stating their max range and then standing behind it online and elsewhere. Sure, cars will tell you their top speed in the specs - but I don't think you will find Ford Reps online telling you that they did 120 MPH for 2 hours in their Fiesta. In other words, what is can possibly do as a max in a (non-existent) place where it is legal and safe to do so....is not what the "tool" is made to do.

I want my machine to stay connected - I dislike RTH's - but that's really my range test. Was it able to take the photo or video I desired to take?

Reactions: Nameguy
People with the GL658A remote paired with the P4, how is the video transmission? I find that mine is pixelated compared to the P4 remote controller. Is that your experience as well?

People with the GL658A remote paired with the P4, how is the video transmission? I find that mine is pixelated compared to the P4 remote controller. Is that your experience as well?
Seems to be much better with the GL 658A. Doesn't drop video like the stock one. I'm happy with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj