Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

That was exciting...

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by ghintx, Jul 5, 2015.

1. ghintx

I flew for about an hour today (three batteries) in winds ranging 10-20mph (mostly 15mph and below). It was fun reaching speeds of 30mph flying downwind. Fighting back upwind was hilariously slow, rarely reaching 10mph ground speed.

At one point today I lost GPS lock while in flight, thankfully not far from where I was standing. Finding myself in ATTI mode in those winds was another experience entirely. Wow. It was all I could do to bring the aircraft down in some longish grass before it blew away. By the time I reached it a few seconds later the GPS lock was re-established.

Lesson l learned. If I'm going to fly in strong wind, keep the aircraft close. ATTI mode is no fun in those conditions.

2. rwakins

Wind was blowing 15 to 20 mph here today, when a hovered my P3P drifted a few times so I cut my flying short too.

3. LordEvil

Does the app record speed perhaps? I had a strong wind today too and finally broke my own speed record of 56 MPH. Downwin in ATTI with 22 MPH wind.

4. flyNfrank

Atti mode is a freak'n blast in strong winds, and generally necessary if flying directly into the wind.

With the wind at your 6 o'clock position is when you want to be full throttle forward for around 600-700ft or until the MPH begins to drop slowing the flight.

5. snerd

I reached my top speed ever today.................. P mode, 393ft, 22mph tailwind............ hit 53.8mph!! That sucker was smoking from south to north!!