Terrified newbie

Hey guys I'm getting ready to purchase a p3 pro and I'm terrified. I'm a reasonably intelligent person but the more I read and research I'm filled with dread. I haven't the slightest clue about the science of piloting drones. Is this something I can pick up fairly easy from videos and research? It all seems complicated or am I just paranoid and over thinking this. Should I start of with a more simple platform ? Any input positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A little trepidation about the unknown is normal. We've all been there, and it will quickly fade once your airborne. Just make sure you take baby steps and you'll be fine. Make sure you give yourself a lot of stopping distance, especially in S mode. Make sure you come back here and let us know how it went. Good flying!

A little trepidation about the unknown is normal. We've all been there, and it will quickly fade once your airborne. Just make sure you take baby steps and you'll be fine. Make sure you give yourself a lot of stopping distance, especially in S mode. Make sure you come back here and let us know how it went. Good flying!

Will do! Thanks

Also keep in mind you can get a p3s for 1/2 of that price, and could use the other 1/2 for an extra battery, case, insurance, etc.

I started on a cheap model about $99 and got use to flying. It paid off for I crashed several times with cheap drone but learned lessons from them. Oh yes and you will crash. Accept it.

Both Phantoms are identical. The only difference is in the cameras. Again, if your pc can't process the 4k video then you'll just have to film in either 2.7k or less.
The other difference is the Lightbridge video downlink rate. The P3P has up to 10mbps, and the P3A I believe is 2mbps. You can't tell much difference in a tablet display for clarity, but if you use goggles with the HDMI module option, you'll see a difference. The P3P is more clear, showing less artifacts. This clarity issue is only a little nit, but some have complained, saying they would have bought P3P had they known.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Hey guys I'm getting ready to purchase a p3 pro and I'm terrified. I'm a reasonably intelligent person but the more I read and research I'm filled with dread. I haven't the slightest clue about the science of piloting drones. Is this something I can pick up fairly easy from videos and research? It all seems complicated or am I just paranoid and over thinking this. Should I start of with a more simple platform ? Any input positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
If you check the "meet-up" section of this forum you might find someone that lives nearby you who would be willing to get you started. It can be a bit intimidating, but as you grow with each successful flight you'll get less nervous. If you do well with gaming, you shouldn't have an issue with learning to fly. If your hand eye coordination isn't keen, you may have trouble in the beginning. Most novices make the mistake of crashing because they don't grasp the concept of reverse navigation, meaning when the craft is facing you, left and right is reversed. Even airline pilots have issues with this at times. It takes some practice to get your brain to grasp that reality and navigate naturally in any direction and orientation without thinking about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minstrelred
If you check the "meet-up" section of this forum you might find someone that lives nearby you who would be willing to get you started. It can be a bit intimidating, but as you grow with each successful flight you'll get less nervous. If you do well with gaming, you shouldn't have an issue with learning to fly. If your hand eye coordination isn't keen, you may have trouble in the beginning. Most novices make the mistake of crashing because they don't grasp the concept of reverse navigation, meaning when the craft is facing you, left and right is reversed. Even airline pilots have issues with this at times. It takes some practice to get your brain to grasp that reality and navigate naturally in any direction and orientation without thinking about it.

I have good eye hand coordination so that's a plus. I'm just more concerned with the tech side of things. I'll check out the meet up
Section. Thanks.

The other difference is the Lightbridge video downlink rate. The P3P has up to 10mbps, and the P3A I believe is 2mbps. You can't tell much difference in a tablet display for clarity, but if you use goggles with the HDMI module option, you'll see a difference. The P3P is more clear, showing less artifacts. This clarity issue is only a little nit, but some have complained, saying they would have bought P3P had they known.
Yes, that was why I had bought the P3P. I have flown it only two times with Nvidia shield. So far no difference is visible. I have a 24" monitor HDMI that I might RE-install a HDMI module to see if that improves it. I had a HDMI module on the controller before, but with the shield I'd have to unplug/replug the cable to get video. I thought that was lame so I uninstalled it. And you can only increase the downlink bitrate if you select manual channel select. And with manual channel selected, it will not auto select a clean channel if the current channel gets interference. And That can be a BIG problem if you are down low into stuff.....

Also, unless you "Really" need 4k and have a computer that can process it I'd get the P3A. I regret buying a P3P just cause I film in 1080p @ 60 fps. It's good enough and you'd save some $$$.

Get the Pro. At this point the price difference is minimal and the gain is pretty big. Always shoot in the best resolution available.

I'm looking at refurbished one from the factory. The
P3p is only 699.00
P3a is 639.00

Thoughts?

Get the pro. If you have a PC that can't handle the video FCOL get a new PC. You can always shoot 1080 until you get a computer that was built in this decade that will handle 4k. You can always downgrade and take 4k and make it 1080. That doesn't work inversely. For 50 bucks get the 4K. Heck I can push 4k on my 200 nvidia shield tablet to my TV.

Yes, that was why I had bought the P3P. I have flown it only two times with Nvidia shield. So far no difference is visible. I have a 24" monitor HDMI that I might RE-install a HDMI module to see if that improves it. I had a HDMI module on the controller before, but with the shield I'd have to unplug/replug the cable to get video. I thought that was lame so I uninstalled it. And you can only increase the downlink bitrate if you select manual channel select. And with manual channel selected, it will not auto select a clean channel if the current channel gets interference. And That can be a BIG problem if you are down low into stuff.....
I prefer custom channel 30 at 4mbps using the hack when flying my P3P. That provides the best range capability. Channel 30 to 32 never has traffic because it's outside the normal Wi-Fi frequency range. But when flying with goggles I'll sometimes use 10mbps and fly closer for the clarity.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
there are just a lot of things to remember when flying one and sometimes you have to remember the hard way. They seem to be amazing tough, mine has taken a 50 foot tumble thru a tree and full immersion in a river. So far a little soldering and a gimble cable are all the repairs it has needed. Buy extra props, I change them all after every crash. Remember the 20 meter RTH rule, that one caused me the tree tumble. For the little bit of difference in price get the pro.

Get the pro. If you have a PC that can't handle the video FCOL get a new PC. You can always shoot 1080 until you get a computer that was built in this decade that will handle 4k. You can always downgrade and take 4k and make it 1080. That doesn't work inversely. For 50 bucks get the 4K. Heck I can push 4k on my 200 nvidia shield tablet to my TV.
(Cause a new pc $$ isn't a problem for most folks....) I have the $$, but others fight harder for it.

I prefer custom channel 30 at 4mbps using the hack when flying my P3P. That provides the best range capability. Channel 30 to 32 never has traffic because it's outside the normal Wi-Fi frequency range. But when flying with goggles I'll sometimes use 10mbps and fly closer for the clarity.
But try flying near/in metro areas where interference is ALWAYS an issue. (Orange County....) When you need 100% un-interrupted feed.......

John just triggered my "AMAZON" buy button finger to get the HDMI module back in my controller to test the fidelity of the P3P... Happy John?... (laughs)..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT