Terrified newbie

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting ready to purchase a p3 pro and I'm terrified. I'm a reasonably intelligent person but the more I read and research I'm filled with dread. I haven't the slightest clue about the science of piloting drones. Is this something I can pick up fairly easy from videos and research? It all seems complicated or am I just paranoid and over thinking this. Should I start of with a more simple platform ? Any input positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there. Anyone not initially intimidated by these awesome machines is either lying or just stupid. Watch every you tube video on the subject, read posts, and take the plunge. Knowing how to operate it and what you need to do if there's a problem beforehand will give you what you need. Enjoy!

Also, unless you "Really" need 4k and have a computer that can process it I'd get the P3A. I regret buying a P3P just cause I film in 1080p @ 60 fps. It's good enough and you'd save some $$$.

Also, unless you "Really" need 4k and have a computer that can process it I'd get the P3A. I regret buying a P3P just cause I film in 1080p @ 60 fps. It's good enough and you'd save some $$$.

All I have is an I pad currently. Is that sufficient for a p3a?

Thanks.

Hey guys I'm getting ready to purchase a p3 pro and I'm terrified. I'm a reasonably intelligent person but the more I read and research I'm filled with dread. I haven't the slightest clue about the science of piloting drones. Is this something I can pick up fairly easy from videos and research? It all seems complicated or am I just paranoid and over thinking this. Should I start of with a more simple platform ? Any input positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.
If drone flying was swimming, all the stories you'd read would be about hungry sharks and drowning because that's more exciting that just going for a nice swim.
When you get it you'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
When there's nothing to hit, it's hard to get into trouble.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

If drone flying was swimming, all the stories you'd read would be about hungry sharks and drowning because that's more exciting that just going for a nice swim.
When you get it you'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
When there's nothing to hit, it's hard to get into trouble.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

Thanks this is reassuring

And NEVER-EVER take off with a partially charged battery. (Insert shark story here)....

I'm looking at refurbished one from the factory. The
P3p is only 699.00
P3a is 639.00

Thoughts?

Both Phantoms are identical. The only difference is in the cameras. Again, if your pc can't process the 4k video then you'll just have to film in either 2.7k or less.

And when updating firmware or otherwise leaving the P3P turned on for amounts of time without the props spinning or air being circulated on the transmitter module you'll need to place a fan on it to keep it cool and help not burn the module out. For some reason the P3P transmitter module does get hotter.

I haven't the slightest clue about the science of piloting drones. Is this something I can pick up fairly easy from videos and research?
Any reasonable person should be able to fly a drone safely after putting in a little bit of time to learn how it works. Most of the issues I help people with probably could have been avoided if the pilots took the time to read the Phantom manual and/or remembered to follow the advice in the manual.

Start with the following resources and you'll be off to a great start:

Here's my thoughts:
  1. Buy a cheepee $50 drone and learn to fly it while your DJI is sitting in its box. Crash it and not your DJI.
  2. Unless you can justify 4K video, get the P3A. I shoot commercially and film at 1080P.
  3. When you're flying your DJI and it starts heading towards an obstacle, drop your control sticks and let your drone hover while you figure out what you need to do to get it out of trouble.
  4. Read the bird's manual. You can download it now, before you get it. Make extra-**** sure you understand the ins and outs of Return to Home.
  5. Understand that flying into the wind consumes battery power like a camel drinking water. Many drones have been lost by flying downwind and then trying to make it home without extra power.
I hope this helps.

SB

Another great, and safe way to learn to fly these beast is the flight simulator on the DJI GO app...its in the upper right hand corner of the app. Just be sure to have the props removed for safety . Having a cool fan blowing through it doesnt hurt either! Welcome to the community, and always fly safe
[emoji106][emoji41]

Here's my thoughts:
  1. Buy a cheepee $50 drone and learn to fly it while your DJI is sitting in its box. Crash it and not your DJI.
  2. Unless you can justify 4K video, get the P3A. I shoot commercially and film at 1080P.
  3. When you're flying your DJI and it starts heading towards an obstacle, drop your control sticks and let your drone hover while you figure out what you need to do to get it out of trouble.
  4. Read the bird's manual. You can download it now, before you get it. Make extra-**** sure you understand the ins and outs of Return to Home.
  5. Understand that flying into the wind consumes battery power like a camel drinking water. Many drones have been lost by flying downwind and then trying to make it home without extra power.
I hope this helps.

SB

Thanks!

Another great, and safe way to learn to fly these beast is the flight simulator on the DJI GO app...its in the upper right hand corner of the app. Just be sure to have the props removed for safety . Having a cool fan blowing through it doesnt hurt either! Welcome to the community, and always fly safe
[emoji106][emoji41]

Thanks!

Also always use up to date software for the DJI GO version for your drone and check the forums to see if the update was good or if there are any concerns.

Next double check that your props are attached correctly before every flight and check them after each flight.

Don't fly over water till you have experience.

Don't let anyone with less experience than you fly your drone.

Don't fly over anything you can't / shouldn't land on.

Fly within line of sight and understand how to recognize the drones control directions especially when it's facing you.

Have fun!!

Reactions: FilmicDude
Here's my thoughts:
I hope this helps.

SB

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor