Terrified for my son to buy Phantom 3 Pro Talk me down

Reaction score
Alright, my 14 year old son has worked hard all summer, saved his money and is looking to get a nice drone and he has settled on the Phantom 3 Pro. I am reading reviews though and it is scaring me. I am also seeing that as this is not a DJI drone in production that it is unlikely we would get much warranty service on it, especially as it would be from an unauthorized seller.

Am I crazy to talk him out of it?

Are these drones out there for sale new on Amazon legit or are we buying a problem?

We have owned RC stuff before and some much cheaper drones so we understand that stuff breaks, you wreck it, etc. But I am seeing major complaints and things not working at all. Is this a case of a small percentage ruining my vision?

Hate for him to spend $800-$1000 and be out. Life lessons are tough but that would really hurt.

I have another friend trying to talk us into getting a Typhoon H instead, that looks like a good option and I trust the guy but reviews aren't great there and it doesn't have a great camera or interface with the iphone.

Can you help me out?

Here is the link in Amazon.

I doubt that Phantom 3's are still for sale new. I think that's a phishing lead.

But, I don't think that him getting a P3 is a bad idea. Or a newer Mavic. They are available far cheaper than the price you stated. And he can move up later on. I would have him join a local drone club that emphasized safety, rules, and responsibility.

Phantom 3 Pro owner here since July 2016. At $1000, I’d guess he’d take care of it. Heck, I’M **** with my $100 Tello.
So far, my P3P has been rock solid out of the box.
If your son is gentle with his belongings in general, I’d say go for it. If not, a Spark might be a better starting point.

He is a good kid, has worked full time on a farm all summer driving very large expensive tractors. I trust him on that end.

the smaller drones just aren't a great option for us in Nebraska, a calm day is 5-10mph wind here so I am afraid the smaller drones would be a probably and he would not be able to use them enough.

Alright, my 14 year old son has worked hard all summer, saved his money and is looking to get a nice drone and he has settled on the Phantom 3 Pro. I am reading reviews though and it is scaring me. I am also seeing that as this is not a DJI drone in production that it is unlikely we would get much warranty service on it, especially as it would be from an unauthorized seller.

Are these drones out there for sale new on Amazon legit or are we buying a problem?

We have owned RC stuff before and some much cheaper drones so we understand that stuff breaks, you wreck it, etc. But I am seeing major complaints and things not working at all. Is this a case of a small percentage ruining my vision?

Hate for him to spend $800-$1000 and be out. Life lessons are tough but that would really hurt.

I have another friend trying to talk us into getting a Typhoon H instead, that looks like a good option and I trust the guy but reviews aren't great there and it doesn't have a great camera or interface with the iphone.

Can you help me out?

Welcome to the forum!

If it were my son, I’d have him research how often P3P’s have suffered from the dreaded “no image transmission” problem. Then decide if it’s worth the risk to invest in that old of a drone.

I would also have him consider what he plans to do with it and how portable he would want his drone to be. For example, if portability is an important feature check out the Mavic models instead of Phantoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdof5 and JoBe
Has he identified why he wants a drone? Photography? Videography? Mapping & Surveying? Aerial inspections? FPV Racing?

video and photography mainly. He has talked with the farmer he is working for and aerial inspections might be something he does as well.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Be patient and keep looking. New is hard to come by and will demand a premium price. Refurbished is a good choice if it is an authorized dealer. If there is no warranty from a dealer, forget it.
There are lots of deals that can be got. It helps to know the products and the prices they are going for. It is always a gamble when buying a discontinued drone. I looked for two months and got a used Phantom 4 standard for $406 US. Most back in November were going for $460 to $550 US. usually with extra. Knowing how to bid and when helps a lot.
If you can find one locally that is ideal. You can then check it out. You might try a pawnshop.
It is easy to fly, but hard to keep from crashing one. Lot of things to learn and getting over confident will be your fall. 14 huh. Lol
It may be a heartbreaker. The learning curve can take money from your pockets, plus you then become addicted to drones. Get caught breaking the rules can be costly. Most get caught posting a video of something they shouldn't be doing.
Get insurance. It will probably pay for itself the first year. If there is a defect with the drone, it will probably end in a crash. Insurance in my opinion is better than a warranty.
The positives are great, which I haven't dwelled on in this post.
If you have the need for more information, feel free to ask. Count the cost and Good luck.

P3P was great but no longer in production. May face issues getting parts like battery & props later. Suggest looking at Mavic. May take him longer to accumulate cash but probably better option.

The P4 standard is available for the same $ as a P3P, and a newer model with available parts. Longer flight time, Easy to fly and rocksolid. Readily available in the $500 range used. I have picked up two already that are nearly flawless. Both for less than $500. Probably the most popular drone ever built.

No warranty, but some here buy insurance through their homeowners.

The P3P is an excellent choice, but not at those prices. Just as an FYI, I paid $600 for a refurbished unit with full warranty over a year ago. Watch this forum for a well cared for used. I don't fly much and as such both my P3S and P3P are in pristine condition, though neither are for sale. But there are other guys like me who may have one for sale.

Whatever you do, avoid Camrise. They are the most prominent scammers out there.

As to warranty, don't be confused by an earlier mention of replacing the warranty with homeowners insurance. You will hear about State Farm which in some areas will sell you a personal articles policy that covers loss. After all, it's just a camera. It does not cover damage or repairs such as a warranty or DJI Care (crash Insurance).

Can you help me out?

Aside from being vastly overpriced, on that link it clearly states that it is for the quadcopter only.

However, I agree with post #2 and others - there's something not quite right about it - and that particular advert and the links attached to it are probably a scam of some sort.

I've had a P3P for 3.5 years now and I'm very happy and have had no problems at all with it. But there are better options available now.

The DJI Phantoms are great, easy to fly drones but are no longer in production so will be second hand!
I am 80 and my son has given me his Phanton 3 Advanced and within in few flights I am pretty capable. I've done a factory chimney survey, POI's you name it.
I also have full insurance cover for both the drone and third party liability.
Look around on eBay and the like, there are plenty out there.
Make sure the batteries are in good condition, there are tests you should make the seller do on them before you buy!

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 09.02.51.jpg

Don't be 'terrified' of a p3 pro :) I bought a factory refurb from dronenerds (an authorized DJI USA reseller) on eBay a few years ago. It arrived 'like-new' and has been rock solid ever since. There are enough wrecked or otherwise unserviceable units out there, used parts should be available for quite a while... batteries too, even if you had to use third-party.

Having said that, if I were shopping a DJI refurb these days, it would be:

1. a Mavic pro, probably a platinum
2. Not from amazon, too pricey
3. From an authorized DJI reseller on ebay or a thoroughly vetted seller from the classifieds on this forum.

I think a Mavic would serve your son better and longer than a p3. And the convenience of portability can't be over stressed... it takes a BIG box to carry a phantom + accessories.

The Phantom's are (were?) a good machine and I love mine to this day, but even the P4 variants are getting long in the tooth.

Last edited:

Can you help me out?

First of all, I commend you on being a great dad to watch out for your son and his hard-earned cash. Bravo!

The P3P is a great drone. It was the first one I bought and I loved it. However, I would not buy one new today, and especially not at those prices. As was already mentioned, the P4S would be a better bet since it is about the same price and is a better drone.

The recommendations I would give you are:
  • Try to find a well cared-for unit at a great price. If you buy used, I would only ever buy locally so you can test fly it first. However, the test flight does you absolutely no good unless you are experienced and know what to look for, or the seller is someone you trust.
  • Even in windy areas, don't count out the smaller drones like the Spark and Mavic Air. They do incredibly well and it is remarkable for their size. I have no issues flying either one in 20 MPH winds. However the real issue with any of these in high winds is the take-off and landing. That's where hand-launch and hand-landing comes in very handy. For that, the Phantom series is the best, due to its landing gear design.
  • See if you can find a local pilot or club who can take you out flying before you make a decision.
Good luck. I hope he makes good use of those funds he worked hard for.

I have 2 P3 Standards, one I bought new in 2017, the other was used, purchased here from another member. A recently purchased (used) P4P from here as well. As stated, if your son is good with his purchases, and takes care of it, he'll get lots of life from a P3. Parts are still available through aftermarket outlets. Don't be afraid to let him buy one. Just do a little more research. The price you showed is too high as was mentioned. Lots of good used drones out there. Just don't jump on the first one you find. (As @Capt KO keeps beating me over the head about...) ?

Brad

Don't be 'terrified' of a p3 pro :) I bought a factory refurb from dronenerds (an authorized DJI USA reseller) on eBay a few years ago. It arrived 'like-new' and has been rock solid ever since. There are enough wrecked or otherwise unserviceable units out there, used parts should be available for quite a while... batteries too, even if you had to use third-party.

Having said that, if I were shopping a DJI refurb these days, it would be:

1. a Mavic pro, probably a platinum
2. Not from amazon, too pricey
3. From an authorized DJI reseller on ebay or a thoroughly vetted seller from the classifieds on this forum.

I think a Mavic would serve your son better and longer than a p3. And the convenience of portability can't be over stressed... it takes a BIG box to carry a phantom + accessories.

The Phantom's are (were?) a good machine and I love mine to this day, but even the P4 variants are getting long in the tooth.
That is true as well. I can't speak to the quality of a mavic, but they are a lot more portable! The P4P I just bought was from a young man needing the zoom capabilities of the mavic, and that's why he sold the P4. And yes, I love my "new" P4P almost as much as my trusty, but rusty, P3S!

Brad

LIKE my P3 (but outdated) LOVE my P4's. Different bird. You're teaching your son well. Taught my children the same values and they have turned out extraordinary. They have passed that on to their children. And now my great-grandchildren. Now that's precious.

LIKE my P3 (but outdated) LOVE my P4's. Different bird. You're teaching your son well. Taught my children the same values and they have turned out extraordinary. They have passed that on to their children. And now my great-grandchildren. Now that's precious.
Yup. That's how it's 'sposed to be done!

But you ARE older than dirt... ? ?

(Kinda Like ya though, ya old fart!)

Gotta go fly! All this talk makes me itchy to see everything from a birds eye view!

Brad

Reactions: Capt KO
What this father is doing works. I was only two years older than his son when I got married. 16 and my wife,15. 2 kids by 18. Married 51 years. Now that’s precious. Keep it up dad.
You’ve gotten a lot of good advice. A lot to let your son ponder.
Brad, not older’n dirt, just feel it.

• Love
Reactions: loyal and Shoot4fun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka