Tell me what video editor you use!

For video from the GoPro on my 3DR Solo I have been using iMovie on a MacBookPro. Check out the linked videos.

iMovie comes with a Mac, so this is definitely the low cost option. Nothing fancy, but it got the job done. There is even a sound track (licensed) on the third video. The raw files were all 2.7k, 30 fps, AVC (h.264) compression These 3 did not use any ND filters. On my new P4P I have lots more video choices. On that third video I wish I could have more control over color.

When you consider that everything you do for real estate is going to end up on YouTube or Vimeo, and viewed on anything from a tablet to a smartphone, or to a crappy monitor over a slow Internet connection, it is not easy to justify more horsepower than iMovie. The HD version over the Internet will be 720p at best. The realtor I did this for just linked to the Vimeo page from the listing.

Last edited:
And, while I throw cold water, here is a word about high efficiency video coding, or h.265. That is a delivery compression standard. Yes, it is nice, but it is not widely supported, and choosing a non-linear editor that supports h.265 is sort of like letting the tail wag the dog. Read more here High Efficiency Video Coding - Wikipedia If you want to grab 4K video for the raw footage in case it gets used for a higher use in the future, you can still use h.264 compression. Or, if you want to use h.265 compression you can get an inexpensive transcoder to convert the footage to an editing format if your chosen editor won't accept h.265 compressed files.

As I noted above, for real estate 2.7k, 30 fps, h.264 compression will get the job done. That should let you get away with a lighter NLE and computer resources.

If you are shooting for broadcast or cinema, that is a whole different question.

Last edited:
Power Director 15 looks like a good choice for a PC. Definitely way cheaper than Premiere Pro. Tyson didn't tell us whether he had a PC or Mac.

Have a bit of a play with the camera & video settings as well. This means less editing may be required in iMovie. Mind you, my %$#@# movies are still too dark :(

Final Cut Pro on a Apple Mac Pro.
Tell us how you like that. Is it the latest X version? Please tell us about your hardware and processor. Do you transcode before FCP? Do you have a link (like to Vimeo) to show us?

Did you consider getting Premiere Pro? For myself I decided to get FCPX because it was a onetime purchase, while Premiere Pro requires an upgrade to my CC license, and I will be paying forever. So I upgraded my MacBook Pro to OS X Sierra and that destroyed my Quickbooks billing system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West