Taking stills while flying

Reaction score
Got a P3s for my students as a low cost intro. They'll need to tame this before they get anywhere near the P4. So about stills, is there a way to configure the S switches to trigger a still photo? The pilot in me doesn't like letting go of the sticks in flight. And the time lapse is too slow for me, I'd need 3 s max in between photos. So aside from letting go the throttle stick and moving your left hand up to the phone, is there a way to take multiple quick stills while during flight?

Sounds like a old RC flyer. I had the same fear but quickly found out that the phantom will stop and wait for more commands from me. It won't zoom off if I take my hands off the controls nor drop from the sky. Play with it and you will soon not only taking hands off of control but also passing the controls from student. I think it's great that your getting students into this I wish you had been my teacher Way To Go!
What grade and what do you teach? Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

A teacher that 'doesn't like letting go of the sticks' - sounds like you need some tutoring first!

Got a P3s for my students as a low cost intro. They'll need to tame this before they get anywhere near the P4. So about stills, is there a way to configure the S switches to trigger a still photo? The pilot in me doesn't like letting go of the sticks in flight. And the time lapse is too slow for me, I'd need 3 s max in between photos. So aside from letting go the throttle stick and moving your left hand up to the phone, is there a way to take multiple quick stills while during flight?
@Gangapat what msinger said is true. You will need to use the app. That is the only way to take photos. There is a multiple mode in the photo menu on the app when flying. You can set it up to take photos every 3, 5, or 10 seconds. You could start that way and just hit the photo button to start taking before liftoff until you get comfortable with it.

Enjoy using it. I have had my P3S for a little over a month now. It is great. Awesome photos and videos. There is a thread in here called "sexiest photos with your phantom" that has a bunch of good ones. Here are a couple of my best so far. This is a great way to get aerial photographs.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460803425.737452.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460803437.506909.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460803490.754068.jpg

Thanks all,

I am Indeed old school, been flying since 2008 when these were called UAVs. I research 3D mapping from drones and I teach a this at University. Flew in many cool places like Svalbard, the Atacama desert and at 10000 feet up in the Swiss Alps. But I did start on a fixed wing, so I get itchy thumbs when not in contact with both sticks. Of course I'll let my P3P hover on its own, but aviation safety laws says that we the pilots are responsible for safe flying, and I interpret that as always being in a position to react. So I tell my students to try to stay in contact with the sticks as much as possible. That's why I love the P3P/A RC design, it's all there. But with the recent sale, the P3S was a no-brainer as a training rig. We'll manage, if I can find that 3 second timelapse, it's sorted. But I could have sworn it was 5s?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl