Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Taking apart the controler

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by adamgoodsell46, Feb 21, 2014.

1. adamgoodsell46

I broke off the gps gnob on the original controler by accident. I tried moving the switch by sicking a paperclip in where the gnob used to be to no avail. After taking off the back of the controler in order to try to get into the gps controler there is a little red block in that area however I cant figure out how to take it out. Any ideas/suggestions? I will upload photos in a little bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

2. rmklaw

What GPS knob are you referring to? The remote controller does not have such a thing. Could you post pictures?

3. OI Photography

The flight mode switch? You'll need to take the controller apart, and the switch will come out once you loosen the external collar around it (it works like a nut). You'll need to replace it with something like this (or an equivalent from radio shack): http://www.alofthobbies.com/3-position-short.html

It takes a little soldering but it's a quick simple job, just be sure to attach the wires to the same posts they were on the stock switch.

4. adamgoodsell46

Thank You OI Photography, you have been very helpful across multiple posts. Another problem I am having is that after taking apart the controller, not my camera tilt adjuster no longer has any affect. The camera is always facing straight out now. Anyone ever have a problem with that?

5. droneranger

That is probably caused by the mechanical lever not lining up correctly with the pot that controls tilt which is soldered on the circuit board. Disassemble your RC again and power it up along with the Phantom. Making sure not to short out any exposed circuit traces, carefully take a non-metallic instrument that will fit in the cross slots of the tilt pot and gently turn it from one side to the other. You should see your gimbal tilt. If not, you have an electrical/electronic problem. If it does tilt, then just line the lever up with the pot in the correct position fo give you a full tilt motion when you move the lever through its range. Good luck!

6. adamgoodsell46

I figured out the gimbal. Heres where I'm at with the flight mode switch. I then got this apart but I cant seem to get it to click. I can get the little stub of a lever to move, but I cant get it to click. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. droneranger

I wouldn't try to fix it. They're not really reliably repairable. Just replace it.

8. adamgoodsell46

Anyone know where to get controler parts?

9. droneranger

10. adamgoodsell46

I actually need the whole swtich with the gnob on top and the little part that goes down from the gnob to the actual switch.

11. adamgoodsell46

I actually need the whole swtich with the gnob on top and the little part that goes down from the gnob to the actual switch.

Edit:you are correct. That is the right one.

12. droneranger

Then I guess I don't understand what you're needing to replace. What knob? On the Phantom RC there are only 2 toggle switches, one slider switch, one tilt lever, and the 2 joystick controllers. No knobs.

13. adamgoodsell46

No you were correct. That was the right knob.