Taking a picture while recording video on the phantom 4?

Reaction score
I know this has been asked about the earlier phantoms but wondering if the phantom 4 has addressed this. Can it be done or is the only way to do it is by stopping the video, shoot the picture and start video again?

there are two (2) buttons on the front of the RC, the record button on the left side (if holding like your flying), below
Phantom-4-Remote-Controller-.jpg

and the capture still button on the right (not the Pause) below.

Phantom-4-Remote-Controller-1-1.jpg

So while I fly I use the record button to start the video capture and if I want to capture stills while filming I use the still capture button, on the right side. It seems to work..

Reactions: snowghost
I shall try it.

Pretty sure it's one or the other !! Maybe this was changed in a firmware update ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

hmm, let me try again. I guess I'm the horses as(s). Sorry, I thought I'd been doing this but now that I tried just now it seems I'm mistaken, sorry! I must have been shooting video then stopped it and then hit the picture capture button which automatically switches to the camera.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Yeah, on my P4 I have to stop videoing then snap a pic, but on my P3 it would let me snap a pic while videoing

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My p3 and inspire both won't let me take a photo while recording

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I asked about this months ago on the official DJI facebook page and was told that someone was working on it. I guess you will have to settle for lower resolution frames grabbed from the video until this is implemented. My iPhone can do it, heck my Samsung Galaxy S2 could do it 5 years ago.

When I asked about this, I was told that it's not possible due to hardware limitations. That sounds believable to me because when the iPhone first implemented this feature, it was only possible from the latest iPhone hardware even though the iOS software update itself would run on earlier model iPhones.

i tried to do that today and didnt works. Before i get the last update worked....dont know why yet.

I asked about this months ago on the official DJI facebook page and was told that someone was working on it. I guess you will have to settle for lower resolution frames grabbed from the video until this is implemented. My iPhone can do it, heck my Samsung Galaxy S2 could do it 5 years ago.

I find that shooting 4K (3840x2160) gives pretty decent screen captures on a MacBook Pro.

Sunday P4 Sunset.PNG

Yeah, you can grab a frame from the video with either Lightroom or Photoshop but the image will only be 8mp if the video was a 4k video.

Right. They look fine on a PC or digital frame. I'm not blowing anything up. But if I were then I'd do the full monty of the still.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT