Take off

Reaction score
I am new to drones but have caught on quickly, I watched at least 20-30 hours of YouTube videos to learn what I have this far. I still have a few questions....when I first got the drone I don't remember having any problems on take off, now during take off it does not rise straight up but tilts over slightly before rising. I've read all over the forum but can't find anything...I saw where I should try compass calibration, I did that....it helped a little but not 100%. I also read to try imu recalibration but my numbers seem to be norm. Although the compass x,y,z and mod do fluctuate about 1 or 2 when plugged in and phantom is perfectly level and still. Since the numbers were in the norm range I did not do a imu recalibration. I have not have a bad crash but it was upside down on the ground on my first landing. Could it be that I need to change the props???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

jordanharrell24 said:
I am new to drones but have caught on quickly, I watched at least 20-30 hours of YouTube videos to learn what I have this far. I still have a few questions....when I first got the drone I don't remember having any problems on take off, now during take off it does not rise straight up but tilts over slightly before rising. I've read all over the forum but can't find anything...I saw where I should try compass calibration, I did that....it helped a little but not 100%. I also read to try imu recalibration but my numbers seem to be norm. Although the compass x,y,z and mod do fluctuate about 1 or 2 when plugged in and phantom is perfectly level and still. Since the numbers were in the norm range I did not do a imu recalibration. I have not have a bad crash but it was upside down on the ground on my first landing. Could it be that I need to change the props???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
You don't say which Phantom Model, but every one I've seen tips slightly on takeoff because they are not perfectly balanced. I would worry if it tips 30-degrees, but a slight tip is normal. Do not take off gently. I don't know why people keep saying to "increase the throttle slowly" because it invites a tipover. Go full throttle until the Phantom is up 10 to 20 ft then let it hover there before starting your flight. (If you fly with the ground station, as soon as you hit "go", the Phantom goes up at full throttle.)
The compass just tells the Phantom which way to turn - it provides no azimuth (tilt) information to the Master Controller. If it needs calibrating the A/C will yaw a few degrees on takeoff, but it won't cause any tipping.
If you have a chipped propeller then trash it, but I think every one of us have grass stains on our props.. Landing just takes practice, but once you're within a few inches from ground, then CSC the Phantom off. Some bring it to 5 ft then hand catch it, but I prefer a normal landing on the ground.

Why do you suggest CSC to shut down rotors upon landing? That has a better chance for the quad to tip over. Dropping the left stick down for a few seconds is the recommended way.

Yea,

I see a CSC type shut-down for emergency situations only.

I did see a video someone had posted on csc shutdown that the rotors will speed up for a moment before shutting down totally. But if you do the csc and lower the left stick first and then to bottom right corner followed by the lower left using right stick...shutdown is smooth without speed up of rotors. Seems like a lotta work when one stick to bottom will do but nice to know. It may not be the same on all Phantoms...

I learned the hard way after adding a gimbal and camera that the balance at takeoff changes. I was used to easing up the throttle and lifting off... My first attempt after the upgrade ended with two tore up props. I thought there was something wrong with the Phantom. After watching more videos I had it down. I pull back on the right stick a little and hit the throttle, and away she goes. :mrgreen:

Thanks so much for your help!! Also I have the phantom 1, this may or may not be a stupid question but....if I'm flying my drone far away and the battery starts to die, will I get any notice on my remote or just on the drone itself?? The reason I ask is because I may not be able to see the drone to see the lights indicating a dying battery.
Thanks everyone for the help and sorry about all the questions

Your talking about telemetry, the Vision and Vision plus offers those but not the standard P1 im afraid, you can add aftermarket units to give you that kind of info but im not sure battery life is covered, most people run a stop watch or similar as they know the rough flight times of the battery they are using.

Never be sorry for asking questions, its the only way to learn ;)

I suppose its governed by the transmitters range, on the P2V its 300 metres or 1000ft -+ but the FAA and CAA say that 400ft is the max allowed altitude

jordanharrell24 said:
Thanks so much for your help!! Also I have the phantom 1, this may or may not be a stupid question but....if I'm flying my drone far away and the battery starts to die, will I get any notice on my remote or just on the drone itself?? The reason I ask is because I may not be able to see the drone to see the lights indicating a dying battery.
Thanks everyone for the help and sorry about all the questions

For your Phantom 1 you'll need to add FPV and a IOSD mini (On screen display) to see your telemetry - distance, height, battery level, satelite count, etc...

jordanharrell24 said:
Does anyone know the max altitude of the phantom 1??
crash1sttime said:
I suppose its governed by the transmitters range, on the P2V its 300 metres or 1000ft -+ but the FAA and CAA say that 400ft is the max allowed altitude

The P1 uses the same 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver as the P2 Non Vision (if I'm correct?), so theoretically the range will be around 1.5 to 2.5 km up or away, depending on local conditions. In the Naza software you can set your max altitude or controller limits to whatever you want. I would set it to your local legal limit so you can't get yourself into trouble. The Phantoms (1 and 2) actually have way too much capabilities, in terms of range, for absolute beginners.

And if you ever want to try the max altitude (again, don't, it's dangerous to other aircraft out there), at least be sure to get FPV with on screen telemetry first. A few hundred meters high and you really don't see what your quad is doing (without FPV/OSD), take it to the max and you might lose it. The battery life is not suitable for high altitude flights. As soon as you're way up, you need to come down again because descending takes a loooong time (if you play it safe).

So yes, if you have a big battery and FPV with OSD, you CAN take it 2.5Km high, scary stuff, again.......don't do it. Unless you like the idea that you're a hazard to other airspace users and don't mind to wet your pants during the 10 minute wait till it finally cones into view again (if you're lucky), praying the the battery has enough juice to make it all the way back down.

And in case you wonder how it looks, 200m or 500m isn't such a big difference in the Gopro VOF. The horizon is slightly blurrier and you might see some more curve in the horizon but that about it. It doesn't really make up for the long wait to get down. My view and experience anyhow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl