Take off

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just got a new FC40 drone took it for its first test flight and as soon it takes off the phantom starts moving forward rather than hovering can someone tell me why this is? There was no input from controls forward or back.

Thanks

Your quad is slightly off balance (centerof gravity-CG) if you have the camera mounted. Once the quad is in the air the gyros and GPS can take over to make the needed corrections. It takes just a few seconds. There are two ways around this; first reverse the camera mount but keep the camera facing forward, or second you can enter just a touch of the reverse motion with the right stick. That way the quad will lift upward ratger than moving forward.

Hi

Thanks for your input. I got it taking off but the gryos do not reset and keeps on going forward if I release the back controller. Is there any way to reset the gryos so they are balanced? Or is this a returned to manufacturer job? Forgot to mention no camera is on.

Have you done the compass orientation? Are you in GPS mode when you take off? Have you hooked it up to your computer and turned on the IOC mode?

Yep compass calibration done. GPS mode on not sure if IOC on yet but did take a look and my gyro was at 5.5 mod range when should be 0-1.5 so I have calibrated that now. Quick question my compass raw says it's 1550ish is that ok or does it need degaussing? Will try flying again tomoz with fixes. Finger crossed already ended up in tree because of gyro problem.

1550ish sounds about right and pretty good in the mod value.

So are you saying if you pull the right stick to make it go back wards it instead is flying forward?????? and if so does it also fly back wards when you want it to go straight? and is this with the back side with the big led facing you as you take off and are flying?

A few weeks ago I was showing some one how to fly theres fc40 and it was working great till reinstalled the firmware and it was acting buggy as hell and back wards. Forward made it go back. and visa versa and right would make it go left etc etc and all the settings were right and every thing was exactly the same as mine is set at and the compass calibrated right. Then for the hell of it after running out of things that could be the problem I once again reinstalled the firmware and the defaults then re put all the settings right and test flew it again and BAM every thing worked right again. So for some reason the firmware and default parameters when we installed them the time before just must not of installed right or had a hiccup some were during the updating.

now if i do any thing big again like updating the firmware or reinstalling the defaults. I'm going to be sure to hold it in my hand for the first tests to make sure its acting right.

What I said was in reply to his question, which was that his quad tended to move forward as it lifted off the ground. From the way the question was asked, it sounded like a center of balance problem. I told him as he gave upward thrust to just input a slight reverse stick to counter act the forward movement of the quad. When the quad is flying perpendicular to rotate your body in the direction the quad is flying and the control commands will be "normal". If the quad is flying forward, toward you, then the joystick controls will be reversed.

jerrymac12000 said:
If the quad is flying forward, toward you, then the joystick controls will be reversed.

Yeah, he should point it away from him to take off. That way, he can see the lights blinking to see when it's safe to take off.

The takeoff with reverse stick works but the problem is the quad wants to move forward all the time rather than hover in place when all sticks are in their centre position. There is no weight on front except for camera mount and the battery. I think the back rotor are giving more rpm than the front thus flies forward on take off and in air. Hopefully it's the gyro problem I mentioned earlier will know more tonight

Go into asst software -> Basic -> RC - calibrate sticks

IF you look in the naza assistant for the rc section with the transmitter turned on is it showing all your sticks being dead center when you let go off them?

and have you done an advanced calibration of the compass and imu in the naza and if so was the phantom on a level surface or at least reasonably level??

Hi guys

Test flew it again tonight after resetting gyro settings in the naza assistant and all is working fine now. a perfect landing and hover, not so great 1st takeoff but just applied a bit of back stick and then fine afterward so pleased to have it working properly, looks awesome :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl