Tablets , Tablets, .....TABLETS!

• Thread starter Deleted member 120408
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120408

So here I am a new P3P owner and a not so shabby techie/guru *eye rolls* and for the life of me I cannot pull the trigger on a tablet to buy for dedicated use. We've got several entry level Samsung's and they work sometimes right off the bat and others I can spend 20 minutes changing settings and startup procedure with zero luck. My Pixel 2XL works right off the bat every time. However, I prefer a larger screen in the 9" or larger range. I've seen DJI's list and it seems to be some very old released tablets and I've seen the helper list but still am confused. Even the top liked/used tablets seem to have their fair share of documented issues based on forum searches. In the same thread one person's will work and the other person's will not. Why so many issues? I don't really want to purchase an Apple product but it seems I will have to in order to have some form of stability. It may be far fetched to expect DJI to support more devices especially newer devices but when your product is built around these devices to navigate and enjoy it then to me it seems a bit counter productive to not investigate why products will for work for some bit not others or not at all. Obviously , RAM, CPU, and end-user knowledge are high on the list of some failures. I've seen post of tablets working perfectly for 6 months and even highly recommended tablets and then for whatever reason they stop working. Issues I'm concerned about are the USB comm failures. Inconsistency of the same model device on the scale I have seen here points to some serious software engineering issues, faults or lack of support, either way ending in poor user experience. I would spend money if I could get a definitive answer. I see guys using brand new P4Pv2 with 5 year old tablets without issue and 2 year old tablets that are "spec'd" to meet the demand easily will fail?

Is there a tablet besides the overpriced DJI monitors that is clearly the most stable choice for today's P3P and even tomorrow's P4P?

I have read the lists. I lose confidence when the top rated Android device has just as many failure posts as others.

Reactions: tunadoctor
I use tab A Samsung 10/1,been my device for nearly 2 years,runs multiple apps,it's my phone,I use for searching whatever,don't even have to airplane mode it when flying ,sometime phone ring in flight and continues back to the app after phone call,(I know),it's good in the sunlight aswell,,,,only down fall it's heavy,,I did use the 8""for a while but couldent really keep up with the task at hand,,I did buy this as dedicated flying tab but worked so well everything else ended up on it to,,payed top dollar for it in 2016 at $600,was 700 but got cash discount from noel lemmings,,Apple iPad cost way more so settle for Samsung,,want bigger device ? Hdmi to tv in back of Car, this works great aswell;)

I guess I will try a Tab A 10.1 and see how it goes. I guess I won't be out much if it doesn't work for me.
On second look, the list shows the Tab A 10.1 as having 3GB RAM, Samsung's website shows it having 2GB RAM, which is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2019 Tab A 10.1 has less RAM. It's a rabbit hole.
This my device not sure why glonass missing off there spec l list cause it has gps and glonass.and as below states incorrect, it is touch screen.2019 edition is rubbish
Screenshot_20190702-185128.jpg
Screenshot_20190702-185216.jpg
Screenshot_20190702-185250.jpg

So it seems there are several versions, if not more, of the same tablet. SM-T580 wifi, SM-T585, SM-P580 WiFi and SM-P585 lte/wifi. Literature I'm seeing from Samsung in the US shows 2016 T580 also having 2GB RAM. Shows the only versions with 3GB as S-Pen only version, SM-P580 wifi & SM-P585 lte/wifi. That's kind of my point, it leaves a huge gray area in the realm of just pick one from the list. I'm sure regulars here are sick of seeing the same tablet questions asked over and over just like new users are sick of perusing umpteen threads of information/disinformation and the like all to buy a tablet from 3 years ago. True I purchased my drone used to spend a little to see if I even cared but what if I had spent $1800.00 or more on a P4P? Still 3yr old tablets and crossing my fingers?

Could you possibly verify your model please? About phone, in settings should do the trick.

I've been using a Huawei Mediapad M3 8.4 for two years to fly my p3p and still love it. 3gb RAM 64gb storage... I forget how many cores but it's fast, uses an SD card up to 128gb which is what I have in mine. At first I had planned on using it as a dedicated flight tab but enough horsepower I run many apps on it and use it for everything, in fact I gave up my laptop after a while. A lot of horsepower for the least money IMO

Many people here use it and like it. You can research it here with the search function

They've came out with an M5 since then so you might want to look into that one too... they're both a lot of bang for your bucks

I found a good deal for factory refurbished for the Tab A 10.1 2016 edition actual model: P580NZWAXAR. I purchased it, should be here by the 6th. I'll follow up. I feel it's imperative that the list be updated with the fine details that may be the difference in one 10.1 Tab A having zero issues and one not working at all. Willing to help update it by offering research/ analytics.
-Jason

Depending on the dimensions (width) you may need an extension for your controller (RC) device holder to fit a 10" tablet.

And Samsung tablets (and phones) are also notorious for some working and some not. IMO, it comes down to incorrect Settings issues and Samsung's version of the OS not correctly relinquishing control of the USB port. Be sure and activate Developer Options and tweak the USB settings there.

I decided to avoid both of those issues and go with the M3 since it had good reviews. And it was brand new so I had full manufacturer warranty.

Good luck

Depending on the dimensions (width) you may need an extension for your controller (RC) device holder to fit a 10" tablet.

And Samsung tablets (and phones) are also notorious for some working and some not. IMO, it comes down to incorrect Settings issues and Samsung's version of the OS not correctly relinquishing control of the USB port. Be sure and activate Developer Options and tweak the USB settings there.

I decided to avoid both of those issues and go with the M3 since it had good reviews. And it was brand new so I had full manufacturer warranty.

Good luck
I believe this one will fit. The Tab A 10.1 shows to be 6.49 wide and it measures just over that so I should be able to lay it on and have enough room for the locks to bite on the tablet holder.
Yeah, it's a shame they don't offer better support between dji and Samsung. But I agree with you, something is keeping the device from properly communicating via USB either side could be responsible. I've read several posts with guys using a Samsung variant and losing use of the tablet after a specific upgrade either/or dji/Android side. What a shame. If this tablet has any issues whatsoever where it starts not connecting with the settings that worked previously it will be returned or sold and I will check out the Huawei tablets. I was down to the Tab A, Huawei M3/M5, and Asus 3s 10. I decided to go with the cheaper tablet and see where I get. I don't mind spending for it if I must but for a tablet purely dedicated to flying if it works then money saved.

I thank everyone for their time and input.

Slainte!

-Jason

Reactions: umanbean
FYI - He noted that he did go to the list and he also offered to help update the list to be more useful. :)
FWIW, the OP doesn't mention which lists were being used. If my list is one of those lists, I'm certainly open to any suggestions to make it more helpful.

Samsung tablets (and phones) are also notorious for some working and some not.
true dat. one says its the best but the next says its terrible

I've seen DJI's list and it seems to be some very old released tablets and I've seen the helper list but still am confused. Even the top liked/used tablets seem to have their fair share of documented issues based on forum searches.
I have read the lists. I lose confidence when the top rated Android device has just as many failure posts as others.
There are lots of tablets that will work. See my list at the link below. It would be better to choose a device that has good specs and votes to show it's more commonly used.
So it seems there are several versions, if not more, of the same tablet. SM-T580 wifi, SM-T585, SM-P580 WiFi and SM-P585 lte/wifi. Literature I'm seeing from Samsung in the US shows 2016 T580 also having 2GB RAM. Shows the only versions with 3GB as S-Pen only version, SM-P580 wifi & SM-P585 lte/wifi. That's kind of my point, it leaves a huge gray area in the realm of just pick one from the list.
I feel it's imperative that the list be updated with the fine details that may be the difference in one 10.1 Tab A having zero issues and one not working at all. Willing to help update it by offering research/ analytics.
FWIW, the OP doesn't mention which lists were being used. If my list is one of those lists, I'm certainly open to any suggestions to make it more helpful.
idk seems that your list is the one he's talking about but sure could be wrong there nice seeing ur open to fixing it since ur stuff is the #1 source of phantom information

Your list is pretty much the definitive "list" around these parts. The only suggestion I really have is the lack of differentiating between one model names specific different part numbers and years of manf. Let's take for example the top of the voted most used list. Samsung Tab A 10.1. well this model name Tab A 10.1 has 4 variations in its original model year; T580, T585, P580, and P585. Only two have 3 GB of RAM. The others have 2GB. There are other variations of all tablets I'm sure. Then take into account the model year for that very same model name, 2016 Samsung Tab A 10.1 and 2019 Samsung Tab A 10.1 both have different part numbers and specs. Both Processor and amount of RAM are different.

Let's take for example the top of the voted most used list. Samsung Tab A 10.1. well this model name Tab A 10.1 has 4 variations in its original model year; T580, T585, P580, and P585. Only two have 3 GB of RAM. The others have 2GB. There are other variations of all tablets I'm sure. Then take into account the model year for that very same model name, 2016 Samsung Tab A 10.1 and 2019 Samsung Tab A 10.1 both have different part numbers and specs. Both Processor and amount of RAM are different.
For the 2016 10.1" model (the model in my list), the only difference between the P580 and P585 is one has a SIM card. Other than a very slight difference in the size and weight, all other specs are the same.

The processor is the same for all 2016 models. And if you decide to buy the 2GB model (not the recommended model in my list), then you might run into performance issues depending on how the tablet and DJI GO are configured.

I can see how one could be easily confused if reading comments on the Internet that say things like "the Samsung Tab A doesn't work". Without knowing the exact model being used, it would be impossible to tell if it's the model in my list.

Ooops! My bad! Sorry.
No worries sir. In fact, it may seem obvious to many readers but @msinger is right that the OP did not specifically say “msinger’s list” was one of the lists he referenced. I perhaps should not have interjected.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl