Suspend the scolding for a moment...

This was a Litchi Waypoint Mission, so unless your "interference" concern is with GPS or compass, it's not relevant to this type of Litchi flight. The complete mission is uploaded to the birds before leaving the ground.

Nothing for the pilot to do except wait and have happy thoughts for the safe return of the aircrafts.

BTW, I agree, very neat.
Compass interference is a possibility for sure in that environment. Yes, I fly Litchi 75% of the time.

...about everything that's unsafe, reckless, blah blah blah blah about this video. It's all been said a million times here, and I'm not arguing with any of it. That's not the point of this thread. The footage in the following video has been shot -- it can't be unshot. So let's talk about the content, okay?

I didn't shoot this. It's quite long, but it captivated me enough to watch the whole thing.

I had goosebumps. That feeling in my gut you get when you go over the top on a roller coaster. At some points, it kinda scared me.

Much of this was because I'm a drone pilot. There were things that only someone who has flown can imagine what flying their own bird in that video feels like. Non-pilots can't make the connection.

So, what do you think?

Incredible video ... the way I would love to fly ... via all by "IFR" ... with virtually no line of sight and with such expertise ... very well done. Looks like Baltimore Inner Harbor. WOnder when it was filmed (year)?

Incredible video ... the way I would love to fly ... via all by "IFR" ... with virtually no line of sight and with such expertise ... very well done. Looks like Baltimore Inner Harbor. WOnder when it was filmed (year)?

I believe it was shot or first published on or about July 2016.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T like seeing the leading drone in the video? I would rather just watch footage of the cityscape without the green blinking lights being a distraction.

I don't know... maybe I am too old and am just missing the point???

Am I the only one who DOESN'T like seeing the leading drone in the video? I would rather just watch footage of the cityscape without the green blinking lights being a distraction.

It's a great video, and as much as I like the technical aspects. On a purely aesthetic level, I'm inclined to agree.

As far as I can see, age has nothing to do with it.

Yes, it's probably only attractive to some other drone operators. But like you, I would prefer the video without the distraction of another bird, just as probably most non-drone operators would.

...about everything that's unsafe, reckless, blah blah blah blah about this video. It's all been said a million times here, and I'm not arguing with any of it. That's not the point of this thread. The footage in the following video has been shot -- it can't be unshot. So let's talk about the content, okay?

I didn't shoot this. It's quite long, but it captivated me enough to watch the whole thing.

I had goosebumps. That feeling in my gut you get when you go over the top on a roller coaster. At some points, it kinda scared me.

Much of this was because I'm a drone pilot. There were things that only someone who has flown can imagine what flying their own bird in that video feels like. Non-pilots can't make the connection.

So, what do you think?

I agree with SoundByte, it seems like Dirtybirds video. He likes to fly around that one particular brownish colored building. It appears there are either two drone operators or, the front bird is on a Litchi mission and if it can be done, the bird behind is in follow mode or, the first bird is flying itself with Litchi, and the pilot is flying the bird behind. That seemingly would be really scary. I haven't seen his video's for quite some time, but he has definitely become quite skilled. The video was quite enthralling and I too watched the whole thing. I liked it.

I like seeing the the leading drone, because it is very seldom when you do see a leading drone. All other video's are without a leading drone. It makes it something seldom seen this way. IMHO!

I like seeing the the leading drone, because it is very seldom when you do see a leading drone. All other video's are without a leading drone. It makes it something seldom seen this way. IMHO!
I see your point. Yes, plenty of drone videos out there without the leading drone.

Although, I guess it is sort of like with golf, where one camp calls it, "A good walk, spoiled."

I agree with SoundByte, it seems like Dirtybirds video. He likes to fly around that one particular brownish colored building. It appears there are either two drone operators or, the front bird is on a Litchi mission and if it can be done, the bird behind is in follow mode or, the first bird is flying itself with Litchi, and the pilot is flying the bird behind. That seemingly would be really scary. I haven't seen his video's for quite some time, but he has definitely become quite skilled. The video was quite enthralling and I too watched the whole thing. I liked it.
Both AC were running litchi LCMC waypoint missions independently- simply executed the second mission slightly later. DirtyBird did explain how he accomplished this at the time. I also recall he was looking for other operators to join him in a multi AC flight, that would be cool to see if it ever happened.

Both AC were running litchi LCMC waypoint missions independently- simply executed the second mission slightly later. DirtyBird did explain how he accomplished this at the time. I also recall he was looking for other operators to join him in a multi AC flight, that would be cool to see if it ever happened.

Collaborations would be great. Do something like an air ballet. Anyone seen the TED talks video with the synchronized drones? If not, you should do a search for it, quite amazing.

Good stick skills by the drone pilot! Some interesting shots. But the video violates the general rule of having one continous shot. Normally, a better approach is to avoid having a single scene last over 5-10 seconds. Got drowsy.

And then there is the violation of all FAA safety rules ... can't avoid that.

I gotta admit I'm thoroughly impressed. I watched every second of it. When they went by Barns & Noble it got very close (I'd guess 30' +/-) but wow.

I can't imagine how much prep work, planning, and tweaking went into getting that right.

Has anyone seen his Litchi mission? I'd love to see what it looks like in the Mission Hub.

Reactions: dwallersv
Good stick skills by the drone pilot! Some interesting shots. But the video violates the general rule of having one continous shot. Normally, a better approach is to avoid having a single scene last over 5-10 seconds. Got drowsy.

And then there is the violation of all FAA safety rules ... can't avoid that.

Personally, I don't think changing it up was the purpose of this flight. Theme: multiple drones, same flight pattern, and night flight. I enjoyed it and did not get drowsy. Next time you see a flight video like this, turn it off and go to bed. Hahaha. I thought it was very different and without knowing how it was done, I was thinking, how was this done. Exhilarating.

I agree ... awesome !!! Love the way he flies without depending on line of sight. It is like being in the aircraft and flying ... superb.

I wonder how many people had to double take when they looked out or up and saw not one bird, but two of them following each other. 2 in a row is awesome- imagine 5 or more

What I see, is a perfect example of why we are seeing the heavy handed reactions in the media.
Here we see 2 individuals, breaking every rule in the book, I won't even try to point them all out. Without any thought of the safety of others, for the sake of internet fame, these 2 fly at night, no VLOS, high enough to be an air traffic problem, well within the possiblity of a collision with an aircraft.
Instead of demanding they be prosecuted, you want to credit them with this travesty of a video, reinforcing the lousy reputation of drone owners.
So, did I like it? Not impressed, flown planes a lot at night, legally of course. Follow the leader, well that is certainly original. Close flying over a business, great, that should make them really proud.
So, in my opinion, a mediocre film, taken by people who should not be allowed to own a drone.
Sorry, I am not a fan boy.

What I see, is a perfect example of why we are seeing the heavy handed reactions in the media.
Here we see 2 individuals, breaking every rule in the book, I won't even try to point them all out. Without any thought of the safety of others, for the sake of internet fame, these 2 fly at night, no VLOS, high enough to be an air traffic problem, well within the possiblity of a collision with an aircraft.
Instead of demanding they be prosecuted, you want to credit them with this travesty of a video, reinforcing the lousy reputation of drone owners.
So, did I like it? Not impressed, flown planes a lot at night, legally of course. Follow the leader, well that is certainly original. Close flying over a business, great, that should make them really proud.
So, in my opinion, a mediocre film, taken by people who should not be allowed to own a drone.
Sorry, I am not a fan boy.

WELL- looks like you didn't read the complete first post by the op- and- or just decided to ignore the request.

Reactions: Neon Euc
WELL- looks like you didn't read the complete first post by the op- and- or just decided to ignore the request.
No, I exercised my right, to speak up about something that is very important. We, drone owners, all have a stake in how the public perceives us. To bring such a video up online, does nothing but reinforce how the media shows us, reckless, endangering individuals, that ignore all rules and therefor, drones are a threat.

You can say that the OP did not want any discussion about the illegality of this, but that doesn't cut it. It still ends up placing this kind of video in the eyes of the public. Adoration for the skills in flying or cool way that it is presented. So, if a guy shows a video of a drone flying down town, then going through a window and exploding, that is OK as long as I say, "This is not a good thing to do, but how do you think about the technique."

Sorry, I am not a fan of people who want to become famous on the internet by doing things like this, saying to the world, I DO WHAT I WANT, WHEN I WANT. That my friend, is the kind of thing that will end badly. If the Geo Mapping is bad, think how it could be. They want to put GPS trackers into all these birds, read about that. They have them as small as a dime and self powered rechargeable. So, maybe it will be better if we just Squawk like a airplane, with our N number showing up beside our blip on the screen? Then they could just look up who that person was and pay them a visit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka