Surveying and mapping

That's like asking which is the best flavor of ice cream! There are several, what bird(s) are you flying, do you have any idea what type of mapping that you want to do? Things like map sizes, number and frequency of maps that you want to produce, etc. The choices range from some pretty good ones that are free or pay as you go to really sophisticated programs that come with pretty hefty price tags. Give us a bit more info.

I'm looking for an app to survey ground for dirt removal and for mapping a lot of land

Depending on which country you live and fly in you want to be VERY careful how you word your service offerings. In the US you have to be a licensed Land Surveyor. Even using the term
"Survey" is opening you up to local and state problems. We know this because a very good professional friend just came through a YEAR of state investigations because they had the word "survey" listed on their websites in relation to "Aerial Mapping". Also Photogrammetry falls under the same "problems" apparently.

Reactions: Nickster
Depending on which country you live and fly in you want to be VERY careful how you word your service offerings. In the US you have to be a licensed Land Surveyor. Even using the term
"Survey" is opening you up to local and state problems. We know this because a very good professional friend just came through a YEAR of state investigations because they had the word "survey" listed on their websites in relation to "Aerial Mapping". Also Photogrammetry falls under the same "problems" apparently.

Very good point Al. State, if not licensed as a surveyor, that mapping is for informational purposes and not intended for use as a land survey. Being an engineer, we have to do the same if someone asks, and I get it a lot. I even tell people that I am not licensed and they need a surveyor if asking particularly for a survey.

Reactions: BigAl07
Very good point Al. State, if not licensed as a surveyor, that mapping is for informational purposes and not intended for use as a land survey. Being an engineer, we have to do the same if someone asks, and I get it a lot. I even tell people that I am not licensed and they need a surveyor if asking particularly for a survey.

I'm a civil engineer (by education and license), and I've also been an "un-licensed" land surveyor for the last several years as well. I mean this politely of course, but I think you guys are overreacting. There are obviously plenty of situations where a PLS is required, such as setting property pins, making an official plat of survey/parcel drawing, etc. But there is nothing illegal in offering surveying services if you are not a PLS. A good comparison would be many engineers out there who design and consult, write technical reports, etc. however at the end of the day it needs to be stamped by a PE to become an approved plan. Similarly, not ALL surveying tasks are done by a PLS, but certain instances would require one to sign-off.

There is no reason a non-PLS surveyor can't do a topo survey of a site and provide a contour map of the existing conditions should a land-owner request that information to analyze his site.

Reactions: Nickster
Pipeliner_USA welcome to the forum.

While I respect your opinion there are some legalities about this that at least some states (South Carolina for instance) are calling into question. I know for 100% fact that in SC you can't use/promote with the words "Survey" or "Photogrammetry" unless you carry the state license for surveying. I can put you in contact with the company who just came out of a 1 year investigation about simply using those words on their website and offering UAS topo services for Realtors and Contracting firms.

While I respect your opinion there are some legalities about this that at least some states (South Carolina for instance) are calling into question. I know for 100% fact that in SC you can't use/promote with the words "Survey" or "Photogrammetry" unless you carry the state license for surveying. I can put you in contact with the company who just came out of a 1 year investigation about simply using those words on their website and offering UAS topo services for Realtors and Contracting firms.

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation. And I'm not arguing you FYI, haha...Sounds like regional differences. So, let me ask you ... was the investigated company sued by a competitor? I could see that, but I have a hard time imagining the State has some sort of task force to find companies advertising surveying services and going after them (but I do believe it). Like I said, the buyer/owner/developer would obviously have the right to inquire whether said company has PLS's on staff to stamp things. In my 7 or so years out of college and few years as a licensed professional engineer, I can assure you that everywhere in the country I've worked (much of it being in the oil and gas pipeline industry) there are unlicensed folks holding job titles and offering services as surveyors and engineers. Oh well...Gonna go fly my P4P now!

Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation. And I'm not arguing you FYI, haha...Sounds like regional differences. So, let me ask you ... was the investigated company sued by a competitor?

Not to my knowledge. It was merely the state going after an Aerial Imaging company. The next time I talk to him I'll try and get more details about how/why etc.

In Ohio, you can't provide, among other things, a contour map unless it is signed off by a licensed surveyor.

Great insight, however I can't understand how "photogrammetry" would be a dirty word. I mean that is just a fancy term for extracting data from photos and stitching the two right? How does that relate to regulated surveying? Not challenging you per se obviously, just trying to whittle this down...

Great insight, however I can't understand how "photogrammetry" would be a dirty word. I mean that is just a fancy term for extracting data from photos and stitching the two right? How does that relate to regulated surveying? Not challenging you per se obviously, just trying to whittle this down...

While I do agree with you to some degree it's simply something that I was passing along after seeing a colleague go through this year long process/investigation. The State of SC is the one who made the declaration, right or wrong, so I would assume there is enough "Technical Requirement" in that process to make them at least think they can regulate it under surveying.

"Photogrammetry is the science of making measurements from photographs, especially for recovering the exact positions of surface points."

Just from the above definition (googled it so don't shoot the messenger LOL) I can see where it could be a grey area. With that being said, if you had the time and resources (aka money) I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to pull off a WIN if it was taken to court.

Reactions: Munch520
While I do agree with you to some degree it's simply something that I was passing along after seeing a colleague go through this year long process/investigation. The State of SC is the one who made the declaration, right or wrong, so I would assume there is enough "Technical Requirement" in that process to make them at least think they can regulate it under surveying.

"Photogrammetry is the science of making measurements from photographs, especially for recovering the exact positions of surface points."

Just from the above definition (googled it so don't shoot the messenger LOL) I can see where it could be a grey area. With that being said, if you had the time and resources (aka money) I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to pull off a WIN if it was taken to court.

I think so, but like you said it's a very gray area. No doubt we already know how far behind the law is in comparison to this technology.

This is one reason why I'm having lawyers draw us up a (hopefully) ironclad hold harmless/release of liability. As long as we set the expectation from the beginning (that we're not a replacement for a state-certified surveyor) I expect we'll be fine.

Is there a summary of the investigation so I can better understand SC ruling? Not sure if you can reveal company name, but it might be a way I could look it up. Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is there a summary of the investigation so I can better understand SC ruling? Not sure if you can reveal company name, but it might be a way I could look it up. Thank you.

Let me dig around and see what I can find. I know the operator and I'll ask him if there is anything public he can link us to.

I'm a civil engineer (by education and license), and I've also been an "un-licensed" land surveyor for the last several years as well. I mean this politely of course, but I think you guys are overreacting. There are obviously plenty of situations where a PLS is required, such as setting property pins, making an official plat of survey/parcel drawing, etc. But there is nothing illegal in offering surveying services if you are not a PLS. A good comparison would be many engineers out there who design and consult, write technical reports, etc. however at the end of the day it needs to be stamped by a PE to become an approved plan. Similarly, not ALL surveying tasks are done by a PLS, but certain instances would require one to sign-off.

There is no reason a non-PLS surveyor can't do a topo survey of a site and provide a contour map of the existing conditions should a land-owner request that information to analyze his site.

You definitely lack an understanding of the reach of each state's rules regarding the practice of surveying! The latest Florida Board of Professional Surveyors & Mappers' newsletter lists about a half dozen UAV companies cited for unlicensed activity. Why? Keep reading:

Here is what surveying is as defined by Florida Statute (and all the other states have similar wording):

(3) “Surveyor and mapper” includes the term “professional surveyor and mapper” and means a person who is registered to engage in the practice of surveying and mapping under ss. 472.001-472.037. For the purposes of this statute, a surveyor and mapper means a person who determines and displays the facts of size, shape, topography, tidal datum planes, legal or geodetic location or relation, and orientation of improved or unimproved real property through direct measurement or from certifiable measurement through accepted photogrammetric procedures.
(4)(a) “Practice of surveying and mapping” means, among other things, any professional service or work, the adequate performance of which involves the application of special knowledge of the principles of mathematics, the related physical and applied sciences, and the relevant requirements of law for adequate evidence of the act of measuring, locating, establishing, or reestablishing lines, angles, elevations, natural and manmade features in the air, on the surface and immediate subsurface of the earth, within underground workings, and on the beds or surface of bodies of water, for the purpose of determining, establishing, describing, displaying, or interpreting the facts of size, volume, shape, topography, tidal datum planes, and legal or geodetic location or relocation.
(b) The practice of surveying and mapping also includes, but is not limited to, photogrammetric control; orientation of improved or unimproved real property and appurtenances and personal property attached thereto, including acreage and condominiums; the monumentation and remonumentation of property boundaries and subdivisions; the measurement of and preparation of plans showing existing improvements after construction; the layout of proposed improvements; the preparation of descriptions for use in legal instruments of conveyance of real property and property rights; the preparation of subdivision planning maps and record plats, as provided for in chapter 177; the determination of, but not the design of, grades and elevations of roads and land in connection with subdivisions or divisions of land; and the creation and perpetuation of alignments related to maps, record plats, field note records, reports, property descriptions, and plans and drawings that represent them.

So there is ABSOLUTELY something illegal about offering surveying services if you are not a PLS!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl