Super Bowl no drone zone

Reaction score
This happens every year so should be no surprise, but I just received the following official FAA notice about drone flying near the Super Bowl.

News & Update
You are subscribed to News & Updates from the FAA Homepage. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

No Drone Zone For Those Attending the Super Bowl
The Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) latest public service announcement is a reminder that the airspace around NRG Stadium in Houston is a No Drone Zone for the Super Bowl.

Temporary Flight Restrictions will prohibit certain aircraft operations, including unmanned aircraft operations, or drones, within a 34.5-mile radius of NRG Stadium in downtown Houston, Texas on game day. The restrictions will be in effect from 4 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 5.

The FAA produced a 20-second video that tells people to bring their lucky jerseys, face paint and team spirit to the game – but to leave their drones at home – because the stadium and the area around it is a No Drone Zone. The agency is promoting the video on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and the FAA website.

“Drones are becoming much more popular, but they also pose certain safety risks," said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. “We’re working closely with our safety and security partners to spread the No Drone Zone message as widely as possible.”

Watch the video on the FAA YouTube Channel: The Super Bowl is a No Drone Zone:

The FAA is committed to working closely with our unmanned industry partners to educate people about how to fly safely. Two of our key initiatives are the unmanned aircraft registration requirement and the Know Before You Fly campaign.

###

Reactions: Nickster
Every major sporting event, gathering, etc. should be, by default, considered a no drone zone. It's really simple: if there's a crowd, you are not allowed to fly over or near it. Done. End of story.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
34.5 mile radius??? Seems a little excessive to me...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Remember, that NFZ is for all aircraft! a manned aircraft traveling a 150-200 MPH can cover that distance is a very short period.

Reactions: Nickster
Remember, that NFZ is for all aircraft! a manned aircraft traveling a 150-200 MPH can cover that distance is a very short period.

^^ Exactly this ^^

And the radius is consistent with the drone no fly zones from previous years super bowl's so there's nothing new or out of the ordinary here.

Enough time for reasonable attempts to contact and intercept an intruding aircraft and if necessary, launch against it. That radius is not arbitrary.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: tcope
Enough time for reasonable attempts to contact and intercept an intruding aircraft and if necessary, launch against it. That radius is not arbitrary.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It is more arbitrary than not, and does seem quite excessive.

At least I am not worried about it keeping me grounded.

Every major sporting event, gathering, etc. should be, by default, considered a no drone zone. It's really simple: if there's a crowd, you are not allowed to fly over or near it. Done. End of story.

So now we're not aloud to fly near a crowd? When was this guideline established?

So now we're not aloud to fly near a crowd? When was this guideline established?

Always. Common sense. Unless you have safeguards (redundant systems, parachute, etc.) to protect against failure, you are putting people at risk.

Always. Common sense. Unless you have safeguards (redundant systems, parachute, etc.) to protect against failure, you are putting people at risk.

So flying near a crowd is NOT a guideline. It's just your opinion.

Got it.

Part 107 specifically mentions not flying over people that are not directly involved in the flying of your UAS, and I'm pretty sure the hobbyist guidelines have a similar guideline although I don't have access to those at the moment.

And as others have mentioned, this is common sense in general anyway and especially the Super Bowl TFR. There's no question that a drone could be used to transport a dangerous payload and there's also no question that an event like the Super Bowl is a more visible target for such a payload.

I would like to see someone push the limits - just to see the antiaircraft measures taken and to hear what seal team did the shot that took out the operation at over a mile. If I was lucky enough to be at the game I would want the strongest measures taken to keep the crowd safe, heck I am not going and I want that now. Everyone wants to talk tough until the hammer falls, I can tell you from being on the hammer side in combat you don't want it to fall on you.

My opinion, yes. And that of the FAA.
My opinion, yes. And that of the FAA.

While it is possible that you have a buddy who works for the FAA who shares this same personal opinion, as a whole, there is no opinion. There are guidelines.

Opinions are just that.....

Having "staff member " in your avitar will allow you to be easily followed. Especially to the newcomers. More so than someone who actually studies these guidelines, who might only have a few months as a member on the board. I find it bold with your position, on this forum to state your opinion as a fact. NEVER have I seen, read, or even discussed the word "near" when it comes to flying over crowds with a UAS. Now in Europe, that's a different story.

We are all well aware of the common sense thing and we all have the best ideas about drone rules, but let's keep the facts, facts! Make it clear when you state how you feel. I love other people's thoughts and views, as long as we keep the fact separate from our personal beliefs:)

While it is possible that you have a buddy who works for the FAA who shares this same personal opinion, as a whole, there is no opinion. There are guidelines.

Opinions are just that.....

Having "staff member " in your avitar will allow you to be easily followed. Especially to the newcomers. More so than someone who actually studies these guidelines, who might only have a few months as a member on the board. I find it bold with your position, on this forum to state your opinion as a fact. NEVER have I seen, read, or even discussed the word "near" when it comes to flying over crowds with a UAS. Now in Europe, that's a different story.

We are all well aware of the common sense thing and we all have the best ideas about drone rules, but let's keep the facts, facts! Make it clear when you state how you feel. I love other people's thoughts and views, as long as we keep the fact separate from our personal beliefs:)

Wow that escalated quickly.

The FAA specifically states not flying over people that are not directly involved with the flight of your drone. Helihover, you used the word near. Technically "near" and "over" could have different implications with regard to drone flight but depending on various factors, flying "near" a person or crowd could still result in personal injury if a drone failure were to occur. Also keeping in mind the context of this thread is the Super Bowl where drone flight would be occurring over more densely populated areas and drone failure or fly-aways have a greater risk of injury to bystanders. I think you're really splitting hairs here with regard to ianwood's comment and trying to distinguish between "near" and "over". If you hurt someone on the ground, try telling the lawyers that you were only "near" them, not "over" them, and let me know how that works out for you.

Wow that escalated quickly.

The FAA specifically states not flying over people that are not directly involved with the flight of your drone. Helihover, you used the word near. Technically "near" and "over" could have different implications with regard to drone flight but depending on various factors, flying "near" a person or crowd could still result in personal injury if a drone failure were to occur. Also keeping in mind the context of this thread is the Super Bowl where drone flight would be occurring over more densely populated areas and drone failure or fly-aways have a greater risk of injury to bystanders. I think you're really splitting hairs here with regard to ianwood's comment and trying to distinguish between "near" and "over". If you hurt someone on the ground, try telling the lawyers that you were only "near" them, not "over" them, and let me know how that works out for you.

Nothing is escalating here. Unless that's your opinion. Lol

Ian wood was the first to use the word "near", not me. I called him out to justify. That's all. We all know we're not supposed to fly over crowds of people (at least most). Now someone stated (ianwood) that you can't fly near a crowd. These are two totally different items here.

It has nothing to do with flying over a crowd. It has to do with the FAA establishing a TFR over an area due to many factors such White House, Capitol, VIP visit, military installation, open air gathering of a large number of people such as an amusement part, Super Bowl, major baseball, football, or other sports game, forest fire, disaster area, etc. Many other sites can be included. Depending on the particular activity, the size is variable and is published. It is a NFZ. The TFR states how many miles diameter the NFZ is. In the case of the Super Bowl, they decided on the 34 mile radius. It has the same effect as law and don't fly there. Same as if you flew over the White House. YOU WILL BE IN DEEP TROUBLE. Homeland Security will be on you. This is NOT common sense flying, it is PROHIBITED and enforced. Not like saying your maximum is recommended to be 400 ft. It is basically LAW.

This applies to any type of aircraft from airliners, private planes, RC models. there are allowances such as piloted aircraft but you will be under IFR flight plan and have a transponder code assigned to you and must be in radio contact with the administrating agency.

Had you been up on regulations applying to flying your UAV, you should know this

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart