Sudden Unexplained Compass Error

Reaction score
I experienced sudden unexplained compass error today when I was hit by a mild gust of wind. I was at a low altitude (10 ft) and the gust was at most 8 mph. The craft went crazy and into atti mode and I managed to land it safely. Any possible explanation for this or has anyone experienced this and have suggestions on how to reduce chances of it happening again. I was on my property and nowhere near any interference sources. Thanks!

Probably not what you want to hear but sometimes you do just get these errors, mid flight is unusual but Is possible you flipped he atti switch and maybe it confused it quick.

You did say your switch was down, so you deffo flipped it lol.

Have you tried to fly it since?

Most compass errors are only until it's restarted.

I didn't try to fly it after I was kind of hesitant. I was flying fine and that's my concern because I don't see how I could have flipped the switch. The log shows everything going normal then suddenly "compass error, switching to atti mode" I'm going to try to do a compass recalibration here and a low test flight and see how that goes.

I experienced sudden unexplained compass error today when I was hit by a mild gust of wind. I was at a low altitude (10 ft) and the gust was at most 8 mph. The craft went crazy and into atti mode and I managed to land it safely. Any possible explanation for this or has anyone experienced this and have suggestions on how to reduce chances of it happening again. I was on my property and nowhere near any interference sources. Thanks!
Your Phantom should hardly even notice an 8mph wind and it's hard to imagine how that would have caused a compass error.
What did it do to the Phantom?
Looking at the flight data may explain what happened.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides

Your Phantom should hardly even notice an 8mph wind and it's hard to imagine how that would have caused a compass error.
What did it do to the Phantom?
Looking at the flight data may explain what happened.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides

It blew it sideways with the direction of the wind like it it was a paper plane and that's when the compass error popped up. Thanks for the link I'll upload when I figure it out.

It blew it sideways with the direction of the wind like it it was a paper plane and that's when the compass error popped up. Thanks for the link I'll upload when I figure it out.
It sounds like it was in atti mode and that would be the cause of it being blown by the wind.
A Phantom in GPS mode will hold position in more than 20 knot winds.

I had a similar experience a few weeks back, fired up and wanted a compass calibration. I did that all well, went for a fly in wide open area with no power lines etc. 17sec in went to atti mode on its own and raced off, I flew manually and the got gps mode back. Bought it back to me all good. Looking at logs it showed compass error then all good after about 18sec of being in atti mode. A little scary but thankfully I was able to fly manually.

I had a similar experience today. I toggled S1 to regain GPS then it happened again, and shortly after got Lost Signal and the dreaded "Disconnected ". I was at 400 ft. Wind 15 mph. Distance 2700 ft.
I think it was interference

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl