Stress cracks under motor

Reaction score
I know there are some other posts on this, but I haven't seen any recently about how DJI is handling it as far as warranty work.

I have a P3s with less than 1 hour of easy air time on it and it's already showing fractures. After a back and forth email with DJI they essentially said it's no big deal but I could send it back if I wanted to (why would I NOT want to; It's a brand new unit with an obvious manufacturing defect), but they would NOT say if I would be responsible to pay for any repair. Last night I went to the DJI web page for creating a case and got my UPS return label today. I'm not inclined to go through this more than once. If cracks reappear I'll probably void the rest of my warranty and fix it myself with Plast-Aid.

If anyone has gone through this recently, please let me know the outcome (and if the cracks appeared again after the DJI repair).

Attachments

• DSC_0013r1.jpg
    DSC_0013r1.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 576
I know there are some other posts on this, but I haven't seen any recently about how DJI is handling it as far as warranty work.

I have a P3s with less than 1 hour of easy air time on it and it's already showing fractures. After a back and forth email with DJI they essentially said it's no big deal but I could send it back if I wanted to (why would I NOT want to; It's a brand new unit with an obvious manufacturing defect), but they would NOT say if I would be responsible to pay for any repair. Last night I went to the DJI web page for creating a case and got my UPS return label today. I'm not inclined to go through this more than once. If cracks reappear I'll probably void the rest of my warranty and fix it myself with Plast-Aid.

If anyone has gone through this recently, please let me know the outcome (and if the cracks appeared again after the DJI repair).
Hi yeh i got bad cracks aswell ,,not worth the hassle of warranty,,hard to find good resin ,,,dont want one end goin walkabout mid flight ,,:(

Hi yeh i got bad cracks aswell ,,not worth the hassle of warranty,,hard to find good resin ,,,dont want one end goin walkabout mid flight ,,:(
I thought I'd try the warranty ONCE to see what happened. They are in fact repairing/replacing at no cost to me (not even shipping). I'm expecting the Phantom back in a few days, as it has to travel clear across the country to get to DJI repair. I think next time cracks show up I'll use the resin fix - possibly even before they show up. I'm surprised there are not more recent posts on this - with all the new Phantoms out there after the price drops.

Where are these cracks appearing? On the plastic under the motors? I haven't noticed any. Just curious what to watch for?

Thanks. My phone didn't load the photo. I have the quick release prop guards and mounts. I rarely use the guards, but I guess the mounts are a good deal with this issue.

This will annoy me if it ever happens. I know me... I won't want to deal with return/repair/replacement because I'll have no assurance it won't just happen again.

So I did look up the reinforcement plates... and I do admit I like the idea.

Now I'm just wondering if I should be proactive, or just wait to see if it ever happens.

I think if I do, I'll use the aluminum ones.
c1d1900530bed5abb619fc18b9dd0795.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This will annoy me if it ever happens. I know me... I won't want to deal with return/repair/replacement because I'll have no assurance it won't just happen again.

Now I'm just wondering if I should be proactive, or just wait to see if it ever happens.

These look like a good idea, cant see them hurting to install before anything appears?

My concern with that is always "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

Do I really want to play with the manufacturers torque on the screws if they are ok now?

I guess these could always be installed as soon as the slightest crack is noticed..

Don't think these screws will be torqued up, too small, probably just blue loctite

Don't think these screws will be torqued up, too small, probably just blue loctite

I just mean that if I start playing with them, there is a chance I might over torque them myself. Which will leave me even more angry than if I'd left well enough alone! That's the OCD talking!

I'm still gonna get them though...

Yes theirs loctite on them. Personally i didnt bother fiddling,as soon as cracks showed up i installed. At first i thought they werent gonna fit,bad machining,as the screw holes didnt seem to line up but i kept at it and found their was a certain way to do it. I cant remember how that way was but they fit 100%. Could have been the brand i got but dont freak if it seems they dont fit. Ive had no issues since and i dont even think about cracka anymore. And i used loctite also.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow they are cool,,,,,they should b fitted to all drones to prevent cracking,,,,i gona get some

Be careful with loctite, may make the plastic brittle and crumble if too much gets on the plastic.
I caused cracking on one of my motor mounts, used marine epoxy and it is fine. Marine epoxy is flexible, and white.
I did buy a replacement shell for one day someday.

Be careful with loctite, may make the plastic brittle and crumble if too much gets on the plastic.
I caused cracking on one of my motor mounts, used marine epoxy and it is fine. Marine epoxy is flexible, and white.
I did buy a replacement shell for one day someday.

I bought a P3S 2nd hand and the aircraft developed stress cracks in the lower shell under the motors. I made repairs that I think will work.

Here's my recipe.

1. Remove top shell (be careful of the GPS cable). Gently remove the GPS cable and clear the top shell.
2. One at a time remove the motors and clean the damaged area. I used rubbing alcohol.
3. I used Plast-aid and filled the recesses under the motors (where the cracks were located with a thin layer. Allowed to dry.
4. I reassembled and installed the reinforcement kit sold on E Bay.
5. Reassembled
6. Test flew with my girls cheering me on, ops normal! :)

I will periodically inspect the area, and avoid hard braking (I think the previous owner slightly abused this bird). For what I paid for parts and supplies I probably could have bought a lower shell but was spared the hassle of gutting my drone.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    710.3 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    717.4 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG