Streaming Video to a Computer

Reaction score
I'm a Science teacher working on creating curriculum around my Phantom 2 Vision+. I'm excited about all the applications it has for my Science class. However, I was wondering if it was possible to live stream video out from my drone to student computers. Does anyone that is slightly more tech savvy than myself have an idea of an inexpensive way to pull this off. Thanks in advance! I'm loving it so far.

C. Young

I've been experimenting with the Amazon Fire TV Stick.. I got it working last night on my 42" TV that I have in my lanai.. the Firestick is an android device.. I just had to side-load the settings.apk, the dji vision app, and configure a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and voila. I will be trying a flight tonight.. seems to me that it'd work for your situation or at least be a step in the right direction.

The DOE that purchased this has us working on iPads and MacBooks... Your idea sounds great, but I'm not sure it would work for us. Along your lines of thought though, perhaps Apple TV might be a solution that would be similar to your TV stick. Thanks!

Well, you can take the HDMI out from the mobile device running the Vision App, then feed that in to an HDMI capture device on a computer, then possibly stream that?

You might also see if there's an app that will capture the screen and make a live stream from that.

The AppleTV connected to a TV and set to mirror the iPad will get you to a larger display. That is going to be the low cost option. I would recommend using one of the iPadAIR tablets. The older iPads don't have enough processing power for doing that without a lot of lag and frame skipping.

CityZen said:
Well, you can take the HDMI out from the mobile device running the Vision App, then feed that in to an HDMI capture device on a computer, then possibly stream that?

You might also see if there's an app that will capture the screen and make a live stream from that.

In reference to androids, most Samsung Galaxy S and Note series support MHL. Its a $10 cable to HDMI displays.

You'll find that you cannot via wifi to stream if connected to the phantom/repeater.

Mako79 said:
You'll find that you cannot via wifi to stream if connected to the phantom/repeater.
Ah, true. You'd have to tether via USB in order to connect to the internet, or see if you could set up a LAN on the repeater with all the devices concerned.

I'm a Science teacher writing curriculum for the DOE around emerging technologies. We are actually writing curriculum for STEM, as well as Language Arts since that is so heavily tested. There's a group of 20 educators around our state participating in this. The curriculum is to be geared toward migrant students, as they have statistically are lower scoring and have poorer attendance rates in comparison to their peers. The hope is to create an engaging environment for those students. Since, I'm writing the curriculum, I'm 'piloting' some lessons in my own classroom. We are using the drone to learn about GPS, Newton's laws of motion, speed, acceleration, etc. etc. It is basically awesome, and I wish this was available when I was a student. That sad part is that I have to give the equipment back in February, as it it will be in use with the curriculum that was written for the Migrant Students within our state. We have other tech. tools we are using too, but the drone is by far the most expensive and awesome. :)

Thanks for the support in coming up with ways to do this.

Chris

happydays said:
Use an app called reflector. Mimics the screen of the phone / iPad. AFAIK it only works on one screen, though. Not expensive, though about £12.
meijvogel said:
Can be done with Teamviewer and Teamviewer Quick Support. Free.
These both have my attention! I am going to look into them and I'll contact you two if I have any questions!

Thanks,

slothead said:
happydays said:
Use an app called reflector. Mimics the screen of the phone / iPad. AFAIK it only works on one screen, though. Not expensive, though about £12.
meijvogel said:
Can be done with Teamviewer and Teamviewer Quick Support. Free.
These both have my attention! I am going to look into them and I'll contact you two if I have any questions!

Thanks,

PM sent Tom!

Ok, I am a little confused here. I am interested in sharing my screen as well. I use either my iPhone or iPad to monitor the video from the P2V+. How can I share that feed if my phone is connected to the WiFi of the P2V+? Don't I need to be connected to another source for internet bandwidth to make this happen?

I'm currious for several reasons, but 1) I'd like to share my screen so others can see and 2) I'd like to have my screen shown as in inset on my final video product I produce when I'm back at the house with a nice tall glass of iced cold Keurig brewed Snapple Peach Tea!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl