Storing P3 vertically?

Reaction score
I've now got my P3 in a hard case. Any harm in keeping it stored in the case vertically (so the P3 is really on its side)? Obviously it's well protected...but I just don't know if thats putting too much stress on the gimbal dampers (vs. having the case lay flat), or if that even matters?

Mine sits about 50/50 vertical/flat in its case. I don't know if that's good or bad. I have not noticed any ill effects. But now you have made me worry :eek:

Mine sits about 50/50 vertical/flat in its case. I don't know if that's good or bad. I have not noticed any ill effects. But now you have made me worry :eek:

LOL...sorry. I can tend to do that with overthinking. And thats probably what this is. I guess I'd feel better if the entire gimbal was able to be locked down from any movement during transport (and maybe there is a way?)

Reactions: Amsterdamned
I always store mine horizontally. I thought the same thing about any uneven stress due to it being on its side. The case only takes up a little more space when it's laying flat. It may seem a bit obsessive, but better safe than sorry, right?

Actually I asked a engineer and he thinks it should be stored Horizontal because even if you have a good Gimbal clamp the 4 white rubber things that hold the Gimbal unit would be best server if stored Horizontal.... He a retired NASA engineer, he didn't thing any short period would be an issue but he suggested leaving it horizontal when possible. I have a hard case as well so that what I do. -- HE was quite impressed with the unit .... he was going "man if I had something like this back when we did the Apollo missions" ...... He goes we still used Slide rulers to calculate things!

Actually I asked a engineer and he thinks it should be stored Horizontal because even if you have a good Gimbal clamp the 4 white rubber things that hold the Gimbal unit would be best server if stored Horizontal.... He a retired NASA engineer, he didn't thing any short period would be an issue but he suggested leaving it horizontal when possible. I have a hard case as well so that what I do. -- HE was quite impressed with the unit .... he was going "man if I had something like this back when we did the Apollo missions" ...... He goes we still used Slide rulers to calculate things!

My gut tells me your engineer friend is probably right. Gravity just doesn't seem to favor the design in anything but it's natural horizontal position. Maybe someone needs to come up with a 4 corner gimbal clamp that puts zero stress on the rubber dampers and locks the whole thing down for storage & travel. So, as much of a PITA it is for storage, I'll probably find a way to keep it flat for that longer term storage, but not worry about it being vertical for travel and temporary brief storage.

That's funny. I'm a little OCD with both my P3Ps and also a musician. I have expensive ribbon Mics that have to be stored in the position to provide the least amount of stress on the ribbon...and I thought I was a bit crazy to store my phantoms horizontally! Thanks for reassuring my sanity!!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Reactions: Matt W Ruff
I wouldn't recommend it.
What I think.. If you still have the anti drop pins installed, then it should take the brunt. And make sure its kept still and not in a bumpy place..

I'm not sure but I believe there are still a few of us with this question. I just received a NANUK 950 case for my P3P and it has a clever soft foam insert with a cutout for the camera. I also have a combination lens cap gimbal lock installed. So upright or flat? Since this case will be checked at the airport from time to time, it will most likely be upside down a lot too. With this foam insert attached it doesn't move at all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl